Author Topic: Viva Las Vegas  (Read 9906 times)

Skaboss

Viva Las Vegas
« on: February 05, 2003, 09:35:00 am »
Hey now.<BR>I'm going to be in LV at the end of this month, going to a place called the Huntridge Theatre to see some shows. I was wondering if anyone has been there, heard things about it. Seems to hold the same calliber shows as the 9:30 or so. At the same time if anyone has any other suggestions of things to do in town, let me know.<BR>Thanks.

scumpond

Re: Viva Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 10:54:00 am »
no, but i am going at the end of March and there is a big "skafest" at some skate park there at that time.  you probably alrady knew that, give your username.

Henry Dark

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 11:03:00 am »
I hear gambling and hookers are allowed there.

Skaboss

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 11:12:00 am »
Yeah,<BR>The ska summit. Should be interesting, at least. Some good bands though; Let's go bowling, Fishbone and Mobtown. I wish there was more representation from the east coast though, besides the shitty toasters... <A HREF="http://www.skasummit.com" TARGET=_blank>www.skasummit.com[/url] <BR>

Henry Dark

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 11:15:00 am »
What's so shitty about the toasters? I was into the Toasters while you were still shitting your diapers.

jadetree

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>I hear gambling and hookers are allowed there.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually  Henry, I believe hookers are illegal in Las Vegas.  So you are lucky you weren't caught.

Henry Dark

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 11:18:00 am »
Not moi. Two things I'll never do in my life: go to Vegas, or visit a hooker.

jadetree

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 11:20:00 am »
Well you are missing out not going to Vegas, just looking at the people is enough entertainment.

Skaboss

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 01:16:00 pm »
I'd have to agree...Vegas is great for people watching.<P>As for the toasters, just because they were the first to bring the ska thing into the US, doesn't mean they're good, in fact I think they're sub-par as far as a ska band goes, unless you like a whiny brit singer with too goddamn much vibrato. They had their moments, when Coolie Ranx was with them, but as far as musical talent, they're washed up. When I think of a good ska styled band, I'd lean towards the folks who are writing really good music, like Vic Rice and Agent Jay and Django in NYC.<P>And, I'm pretty sure I wasn't still shitting myself when you started to listen to the toasters. Wait. I just shit myself.

Henry Dark

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 01:20:00 pm »
I saw the Toasters probably a good 10 times between 1987-1996. I like the fact that they never injected punk rock into their ska like a lot of the 90's ska bands did. Ska's not really my thing anymore, but I'll havefond memories of a number of Toasters shows.

Skaboss

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Yeah,<BR>Toasters shows were always a ghood time, but listening to them recorded was usually pretty painful for me. My first toasters show was in 1988, and it was a blast.

Henry Dark

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 01:25:00 pm »
You may be right there. SkaBoom was the only album that ever interested me enough to buy it. And now it just sits on the shelf.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skaboss:<BR><B>Yeah,<BR>Toasters shows were always a ghood time, but listening to them recorded was usually pretty painful for me. My first toasters show was in 1988, and it was a blast.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
vegas is great. . .go to the bellagio for a great buffet, water show and the blackjack tables, in my experience, pay quickly.  mgm grand, disappointing, but nice rooms.  paris, new york new york, caesars (check out the animatronic scenes in their mall), and bellagio are excellent.  and, for the $3 blackjack tables, head downtown, things'll be great when you're Downtown, no finer place for sure Downtown, everything's waiting for you. . .<BR>
OU812

Dandy01

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
I found NY disappointing in its appearance and its restaurants lame as well.  However, I was impressed by Paris and its monument replicas; I hear the food is good as well, especially at the Eiffel Tower restaurant.  Also, I had a blast hanging out at the Hard Rock Cafe, as it was more geared towards my friends and I's age group.  They have a cool Mexican restaurant inside too, the name escapes me.  And you can't beat the memorabilia.  <P>As for clubbing, I hear Ra in the Luxor is a nice draw, but there are many more to choose from in that category as most hotels have several nightclubs of their own.<p>[This message has been edited by Dandy01 (edited 02-05-2003).]

Henry Dark

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 02:57:00 pm »
Lame restaurants? I think DC leads the way in that category.