Author Topic: Dave Gahan, anyone care to comment?  (Read 2981 times)

markie

Dave Gahan, anyone care to comment?
« on: July 22, 2003, 11:00:00 am »
I wanted to go to see Dave Gahan, but was too shattered, plus it was a little expensive....

Was it good?

Re: Dave Gahan, anyone care to comment?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 11:07:00 am »
DAVE GAHAN "Paper Monsters" Reprise/Mute

Inattentive Depeche Mode listeners may well assume that Dave Gahan's new album is the solo debut by the British band's principal songwriter. After all, "Paper Monsters" sounds a lot like the music the venerable yet somehow still callow synth-pop combo has made since founding member Vince Clarke departed in 1981, and especially since the group boldly (yawn) added guitars in 1990. In fact, Gahan was never the band's composer, and "Paper Monsters" pays tribute -- perhaps unwittingly -- to longtime DM tunesmith Martin Gore.

Of course, Gahan has a certain right to the abject outlook and minor-key electro-rock of such songs as "Dirty Sticky Floors" and "Black and Blue Again." He did sing all those bleak DM hits and experienced a well-publicized bottoming out that makes the bluesy anguish of "Bottle Living" seem more than an affectation. And the 10 throbbingly morose songs crafted by Gahan and co-writer Knox Chandler (a freelance guitarist whose credits include DM's "Exciter") are more consistent than anything the singer's full-time band had managed in a decade. But when Gahan bleats about dropping to his knees and confesses that he's "not very nice," he's just ripping a page from Gore's blasphemous prayer book.

markie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 11:11:00 am »
thanks Rhett, I had seen that.

I was hoping someone would have some comments on Sundays concert though, anyone?

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 11:12:00 am »
Well you guys probably got the Post reviewers fired, or we would have seen a review in todays paper.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
I didn't, but a friend dragged herself over there after much hemming and hawing (Sunday's are tough concert nights).  Here's her very short review:

"Speaking of "Personal Jesus," I went to see Dave Gahan last night and he did that song! (One of only 6 DM songs that he did).  The crowd went nuts.  FYI, all of his solo stuff is guitar-based rock. No more techno...

Nance, it was the best crowd I've ever seen at the 930 Club. Everyone was so into it.  Dave even commented on how great the crowd was."

markie

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 11:23:00 am »
sounds like I should have gone.... 6 DM songs is more than I was expecting. I do like the new single  "dirty sticky floor".

Thanks for the mini review.

Funny, but I trust peoples reviews posted here more than the writers from the post.

I guess people who go to shows out of choice are much more likely to be biased towards it being a good show.

A reviewer who does not like the music in the first place and is more objective seems much less likeley to have any fun.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 11:37:00 am »
Someone who pays $40 for a show is very much more likely to say it was the greatest thing since sliced bread than someone who got a free ticket.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Someone who pays $40 for a show is very much more likely to say it was the greatest thing since sliced bread than someone who got a free ticket.
That's true, and she is a big fan, but she (and I) also see a lot of shows, so I'm willing to trash a band I like if they perform badly.  Case in point, that awful Fountains of Wayne show a while back.  While sad, it blew.

Then again, when I have bunch of albums by a band and can sing along, it does make the experience more fun most of the time.

I trust folks on here more because we can pelt them with questions after a review!

myuman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 12:54:00 pm »
My comments: Two words: Forty bucks!  This for a debut solo project.  I was thinking more along the lines of 35 to see the whole band, maybe 20 to see just Dave... need I say, I painted a room in my house last night.

markie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
  My comments: Two words: Forty bucks!  This for a debut solo project.  I was thinking more along the lines of 35 to see the whole band, maybe 20 to see just Dave... need I say, I painted a room in my house last night.
Depeche mode have sold 10s of millions of albums and most recently toured stadia..... get real.

What colour did you paint your cell? Dave Gahan played Sunday, not last night.

I would have gone if the show was cheaper, but I am not a real fan. I guess there were plenty of real fans willing to pay the price though?

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:
  Funny, but I trust peoples reviews posted here more than the writers from the post.

That's exactly how I feel and the reason that I rarely ever read reviews. Way too often jaded "the music was better in my college days" attitudes or ass-kissing the record companies. It's rare that I agree with them but will often find more like-minded fans on these boards. Also, once I get to know someone, I can much more easily align their tastes in music with mine and get a better grasp as to what I would think.

But I still like reading the ones in the NME just because they are so damned funny!   :D

myuman

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:
  Depeche mode have sold 10s of millions of albums and most recently toured stadia..... get real.

What colour did you paint your cell? Dave Gahan played Sunday, not last night.

Quite a scathing reply from someone who openly ended with the same opinion as mine.  Yeah... my cell.

I would have gone if the show was cheaper, but I am not a real fan. I guess there were plenty of real fans willing to pay the price though?

markie

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
  my cell.
I wondered if you would notice.....

rnrgirl76

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 12:28:00 am »
I had a free ticket to the Gahan show thanks to a friend. I thought it was an amazing show. In my opinion, Gahan redefined what a true rock show is all about. It was a complete package that I enjoyed. I wasn't familiar with any of the solo music only the DM material. I was impressed not only with the production associated with the show but also the level of involvment from the crowd. I haven't seen a crowd that involved in a show since KISS in Detroit Rock City.

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 08:59:00 am »
did anyone see Kenna's set early?