Author Topic: How Gay are You?  (Read 10379 times)

Celeste

Re: How Gay are You?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2003, 12:13:00 pm »
not really...maybe I would have been in the 90s...I think his schtick is interesting, one could argue either way about its effectiveness in terms of communication...is he doing stuff, still? I'm not really in touch as well as I should be, not being in school anymore or in the company of design folk

jadetree

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://www.davidcarsondesign.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.davidcarsondesign.com/[/url] <P>I guess he has a design firm in New York, I dont really think his work is suited all that well for the web.  He is actually one of the few designers I know about, because I am more of a code person.  But he was doing leetspeak before the Internet was popular.  I have one of his books (The End of Print) that I occasionally look at for ideas.

Celeste

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2003, 12:29:00 pm »
I don't think his work is suited for the web, either...strictly speaking, I like to think I am from the Jakob Nielsen school of thought (when it comes to web design)...I think there is a HUGE difference in what works for the web vs. print ...but I am a frustrated academic when it comes to design, who never has enough time to execute things the way I'd like at work and then by the time the day is over I'm too wiped to give proper attention to my personal site...someone sent me this link a few months ago and while the presenation of the info is a little silly "web trends for designers" GAG, I got a kick out of how the trends were broken down, and thought the POS code and minimalist ones were kind of cool <A HREF="http://www.lab404.com/dan/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lab404.com/dan/[/url]

jadetree

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
Well, I am not a big fan of Jakob Neilsen, but he is a necessary evil, he just leaves no room for compromise.  I am a big fan of Minimalist sites though.  A friend of mine got his site on textbased's archive of minimalist sites after I showed him that site a couple of months ago.  Thanks for the lab404 link, looks like a decent resource.

Celeste

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2003, 12:46:00 pm »
well...you just have to take as much of him as you want...just like the w3c standards...a couple months ago, I was reminded of these when I was thumbing though a friend's text book, and I thought, OK, cool, I will try and make the new design for my work site compliant...I quickly realized that all the features my boss loved and were not in compliance...and I changed my mind...I agree his philosophy is somewhat limiting, but I think its good for designers to keep in consideration as a balance to flowery creativity and bells & whistles...people generally come to the web to get info, sure there is something to be said for the "experience" a site may provide, but I think in many cases, designers go overboard and the ease with with users can get the info they need is diminished...<P>anyway...so, who's the gayest?

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2003, 01:16:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celeste:<BR><B>people generally come to the web to get info, sure there is something to be said for the "experience" a site may provide, but I think in many cases, designers go overboard and the ease with with users can get the info they need is diminished...<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's probably an understatement. It's only until very recently that I actually started to truly appreciate the value of Flash design for the web, because for a good long while I couldn't stomach one more obnoxiously long animated intro. The web design market has been so flooded by nitwits that finding a site that truly blends good aesthetics with strong content is becoming increasingly hard to do. Carson's work, on the other hand, rarely sacrifices content for the sake of design to the degree I feel many web designers do. He was more about merging the two aspects as much as possible, using type and design together to express a message more than the two could independently. But unfortunately for most people, Carson is also gifted with an eye for design that can't be substituted with a copy of photoshop and a general disregard for the very same rules he never paid attention to either. He's a great example of how you don't need a formal education to do design well, but an even better example of how it still takes a good deal of talent to do it either way.<BR>

jadetree

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B> That's probably an understatement. It's only until very recently that I actually started to truly appreciate the value of Flash design for the web, because for a good long while I couldn't stomach one more obnoxiously long animated intro. The web design market has been so flooded by nitwits that finding a site that truly blends good aesthetics with strong content is becoming increasingly hard to do.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think these problems are why I like minimalist sites so much, the idea used to be to throw in as many bells and whistles as possible (both with technology and design).  Now sites only look good to me when everything looks clean and there aren't a million design elements demanding your attention.  I think it is actually much more challenging to design something that looks good with very little, and without a million images.<P>I find it funny that Nielsen hated Flash until Macromedia started paying him.

Celeste

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2003, 02:04:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B>I find it funny that Nielsen hated Flash until Macromedia started paying him.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yeah, me too...<P>I do think Macromedia makes good products (yes, all software has its flaws, but...)I think we all agree that Flash is oft overused and wrongly used...<P>

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> I think these problems are why I like minimalist sites so much, the idea used to be to throw in as many bells and whistles as possible (both with technology and design).  Now sites only look good to me when everything looks clean and there aren't a million design elements demanding your attention.  I think it is actually much more challenging to design something that looks good with very little, and without a million images.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. Lately my view of what is good web design definitely falls in the "less is more" category. I think the accessibility of the technology and Flash especially has really underminded the truly credible qualities the web brings to the table. The web design community owes it to itself to reinvent the way it does things a bit and maybe begin to earn a little bit more respect from the rest of the design community. I know far too many designers in more traditional fields that basically look down their nose at most web work. That should definitely be changed.<P>[This message has been edited by wingelbert humptyback (edited 02-06-2003).]<p>[This message has been edited by wingelbert humptyback (edited 02-06-2003).]

Celeste

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2003, 11:37:00 am »
Hey, where has ratiocination been?

ratioci nation

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
yes?

Celeste

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
hi

ratioci nation

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2003, 12:38:00 pm »
hello, the bigger question, Where in the world is GGW?

Henry Dark

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
Doing what all yuppie wannabes do in February, skiiing.

ggw

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2003, 01:08:00 am »
Apparently I am the most hetero of all, with a score of 16%.<P>You are all shocked, I'm sure.