Author Topic: The Second 20 Buck Spin Festival, October 28-30  (Read 2847 times)

snailhook

The Second 20 Buck Spin Festival, October 28-30
« on: October 18, 2005, 07:21:00 pm »
Clavius Productions and Detournemont Productions are proud to present:

The Second 20 Buck Spin, in Washington DC, October 28-30
 http://www.20buckspinfestival.com

This year??s festival will cover three days at two different DC venues, the Warehouse Next Door and DC9, and will encompass the whole spectrum of heavy psychedelia, of which Pentagram is an obvious reference point. Friday night will be at the Warehouse and focuses on more progressive, dronier, and abstract styles, while Saturday covers traditional doom and sludge. Sunday is the uncategorizable finale headlined by Japan??s legendary DMBQ. Advance tickets will not be available for various reasons, but if you plan to travel to see this event, contact us and we will ensure entrance.

The line-up, in general chronological order (first listed being last performing):

Friday 10/28 at the Warehouse Next Door, 9pm, $8

Unearthly Trance (NYC)
 Mouthus (NYC)
 Hyatari (WV)
 Test-Site (Milwaukee)

Saturday 10/29 at DC9, 4pm, $12

Distant Sun (Captain Beyond tribute featuring current and former members of Spirit Caravan, Earthride, Unorthodox, and Nitroseed) (MD)
 Wooly Mammoth (DC)
 RPG (Richmond)
 Beaten Back To Pure (Norfolk)
 Earthride (MD)
 Unorthodox (MD)
 Valkyrie (VA)
 VOG (VA)
 Rosetta (Philly)

Sunday 10/30 at DC9, 9pm, $10

DMBQ (Japan)
 The Apes (DC)
 An Albatross (Philly)
 31 Knots (Portland)

Warehouse Next Door
 http://www.warehousenextdoor.com
 1017 7th St NW
 202-783-3933
 all ages

DC9
 http://www.dcnine.com
 1940 9th St NW
 202-483-5000
 21+

For more details and band descriptions, go to http://www.20buckspinfestival.com. For more information, contact:

Scott Verrastro: snailhook@hotmail.com

shoot ur shot

Re: The Second 20 Buck Spin Festival, October 28-30
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:03:00 am »
just makin sure this post gets at least ONE reply. someone cares!

Deathprod

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 04:20:00 am »
you do a brilliant job, Snailhook

eltee

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 12:21:00 pm »
The Apes! Haven't heard about them in a bit. Sounds like a great festival...just may have to swing on by!

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
Apparently Paul left the band, and they have a new singer.  Should be interesting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it that night.

Link

Originally posted by El Sugartastic:
  The Apes! Haven't heard about them in a bit. Sounds like a great festival...just may have to swing on by!

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
yeah, joe halladay from citygoats is the apes' new singer. this is their first show with him.

more people should be excited by DMBQ!!!

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 05:02:00 pm »
I will definitely be there for the Sunday show. Count me in as very excited about DMBQ, snailhook! That's a great lineup.

snailhook

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
When I reflect upon the many cultural amenities of our city, I have a tendency to overlook the obvious choices. No disrespect to the Kennedy Center, the legion of Smithsonian museums, or the cute little panda babies, but I??m more likely to feel civic pride about Ben??s Chili Bowl, the Washington Wizards, and, most recently, the 20 Buck Spin music festival. The event, now in its second year, was of course named for a classic Pentagram track. However, don??t expect a solely doom lineup. This year??s crew is even more diverse than last year??s; the only common ingredient among the bands is heaviness. I do not exaggerate when I say that these bands are to music what thundersnow is to weather. One of the most intriguing appearances to be made will be that of Distant Sun, a Captain Beyond tribute band formed by several D.C. doom-scene veterans. For the squares: Captain Beyond was a truly boss ??70s space-rock band, composed of members who were themselves veterans of such bands as Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly. Distant Sun??s stripped-down prole-rock approach is refreshing, given that Captain Beyond??s excesses often veered into samba-flavored art-rock purgatory. However, if Distant Sun isn??t far out enough for you, there will also be an appearance by Japanese riff-rockers DMBQ. Or perhaps you??d prefer the proggy freak-sessions of Test-Site and 31 Knots, of Milwaukee and Portland, Ore., respectively. Representing for Drama City will be the always lively Apes, thud-rockers Wooly Mammoth, and doom-dealers Unorthodox, Earthride, and VOG (pictured). It??s doubtful that the D.C. Chamber of Commerce will ever tout a festival that includes a band called Beaten Back to Pure -?? as this one does ??- but it sure as hell should. The 20 Buck Spin takes place Friday, Oct. 28, through Sunday, Oct. 30, at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW, and at DC9, 1940 9th St. NW, $8??$12. See City List for a full schedule, or visit claviusproductions.alkem.org. (David Dunlap Jr.)

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
What are the sell-out chances for these shows?  I'm not sure which I can make, but I'm gunning for definitely catching the DMBQ/Apes show on Sunday.

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
tonight won't sell out, and tomorrow will be packed, but i doubt it will sell out. i'm thinking 120-150.

the DMBQ/apes show might sell out; i'd definitely get there early.

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
more press:

When considering music genres associated with D.C., most people will either think of go-go, an almost entirely local sensation spearheaded by the likes of Chuck Brown, Troublefunk and E.U. in the early ??80s, or the slashing, passionate indie rock favored by Fugazi and much of the Dischord Records stable. But D.C. is also a hotbed for another genre, one that simmers -?? albeit quite loudly ??- even further below the mainstream. That would be the unfortunately labeled ??stoner rock,? and if you??ve ever been curious as to what that means, well, this is the weekend to find out. The second annual 20 Buck Spin Festival, a three-evening event that encompasses performances Friday night at the Warehouse Next Door and Saturday and Sunday nights at DC9, brings more than a dozen loud, louder and loudest bands to the area.

??The D.C. area has been, and still is, one of the most fertile areas for progressive heavy music, from bluesy doom-rock to speed- and thrash-metal to straight-up hardcore,? festival co-organizer Scott Verrastro of Clavius Productions said. 20 Buck Spin was named after a song by local doom legends Pentagram, who formed in Arlington in 1971 and are to the local heavy rock scene what Chuck Brown and Minor Threat/Fugazi were to their respective scenes. Drawing on influences from heavy British bands such as Hawkwind, Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer, Pentagram put a distinctly menacing take on the sound and has influenced countless bands over the last three decades. The influence is still heard today in popular local acts such as Dead Meadow and Wooly Mammoth.

Why is D.C. such a hub for ??stoner rock? (??a fairly stupid term,? Verrastro readily admits)? ??It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, other than attributing it to being in such close proximity to national politics and the crime and poverty inherent in the D.C. geography, which lends itself well to the sense of dread and aggression found in metal,? Verrastro says. Or perhaps it??s the brutally humid summers that lead to the brutally heavy music. Whatever the reason, there is no question that there is a devoted, tight-knit community based around the music.

All variations of the heavy psych sound will be represented this weekend. Friday??s show at the Warehouse with Unearthly Trance, Mouthus, Test-Site and Hyatari will focus on more progressive and abstract styles, for those that prefer a little artiness with their noise. Saturday??s nine-act extravaganza at DC9 with Distant Sun, Unorthodox, Earthride, RPG and many more will cover traditional doom and sludge, meaning it will be heavy, thick, dirty and there will be plenty of hair a-flying. The most accessible evening will be Sunday??s finale, headlined by Japanese quartet DMBQ. The group is legendary in the Tokyo rock underground and while it does embrace some very heavy and abstract sounds, there??s also a raucous garage-blues energy that permeates many of the band??s songs, bringing to mind American indie favorites of yesteryear such as the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and Mudhoney.

So for those looking for something different and, yes, a bit scary this Halloween weekend, 20 Buck Spin certainly fits the bill. You just might want to splurge $1 on earplugs first. (Washington Post, Going Out Gurus)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  tonight won't sell out, and tomorrow will be packed, but i doubt it will sell out. i'm thinking 120-150.

the DMBQ/apes show might sell out; i'd definitely get there early.
What would you consider to be early? 8:30? I don't want to get shut out of DMBQ.

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 04:29:00 pm »
yeah, 8:30 or earlier. doors are at 9.

ggw

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 06:08:00 pm »
China, the drummer from DMBQ (and Shonen Knife), was killed in a car accident in Delaware yesterday.

Hello

It is with a lot of grief and weariness that I announce that Friday??s DMBQ and friends show @ Club Exit was cancelled following a tragic car accident involving the members of DMBQ.

We will continue with Saturday??s show, which DMBQ was scheduled to play, in memoriam and as a benefit to cover DMBQ??s travel and medical expenses.

DMBQ??s van rolled from I-95 in Delaware en route from Baltimore to Brooklyn this afternoon. All members of the band have been hospitalized, as well as Michelle Cable from Panache Magazine and booking, who has been managing their tour.

Mana ??China? Nishiura did not survive the accident. China was DMBQ??s drummer, as well as a former drummer in Shonen Knife. China will be missed.

Michelle Cable is conscious following surgery for a head injury. Shinji Masuko is still in the hospital but is expected to be released soon. Toru Matsui and Ryuichi Watanabe have been released from the hospital.

That??s all the information I have.

There was also this article from the Philadelphia Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/new_jersey/13088435.htm

Posted on Sat, Nov. 05, 2005

Tourist from Japan killed in three-vehicle crash

A three-vehicle accident near the Delaware Memorial Bridge yesterday killed a female tourist, seriously injured another, and sent three other people to local hospitals, police said.

An Econoline van had crossed the bridge near Carneys Point in Salem County shortly before 1 p.m. when a Mitsubishi Eclipse clipped the van??s left rear fender.

The van spun out of control, and careened over a barrier on the ramp to Route 40. The van - carrying four Japanese tourists and a woman from San Francisco - then rolled several times down an embankment and into the path of a Ford pickup truck, said Sgt. Stephen Jones, spokesman for the state police.

A woman from Osaka, Japan, who was not identified pending notification of her family, was ejected from the van and died at the scene. The four other van passengers were being treated last night for non-life-threatening injuries. No other injuries were reported, Jones said.

Details:  http://www.toddpnyc.com/

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 09:38:00 pm »
Oh, this is so sad.

RIP China.   :(