Author Topic: Unlimited Sunshine  (Read 3349 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Unlimited Sunshine
« on: July 23, 2003, 08:55:00 am »
Being a bit dim and not paying attention to the details, resulting in me missing out on the fact that The Detroit Cobras and Cheap Trick are playing on the same bill as those others bands as part of the Unlimited Sunshine.

Now The Detroit Cobras and Cheap Trick would have been a killer bill just by themselves.  And I will have to take Rhett's nod on Hackensaw Boys and Jimmy Louvin.  

Cheap Trick will be great because it will be about a 45 minute set of the hits.

The Detroit Cobras from all accounts have an electricfying live show.  They are a killer punk r&b band with an amazing singer.  Can't wait!

As far as those one-hit blunders Cake goes, I plan on saying au revoir to thatguy shortly after Cheap Trick finishes their set.  Let home their altrock fanbase has lost interest in the hit, which they keep recording and calling it new material, and wont be yakking during the other acts.
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Unlimited Sunshine
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 09:03:00 am »
At last at last the Detroit Cobras are coming to town.  I love that band....great stuff.  45 min of Cheap Trick will be fine and I can take or leave Cake.  Hackensaw Boys sound like they could be interesting....but the dang Cobras...they are one of the best bands anywhere right now.  For those of you that like raunchy, and I mean real raunchy R&B, check 'em out.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 09:19:00 am »
It's Charlie Louvin, not Jimmy Louvin.

I find it hilarious that you guys would pay $XX???,endure two bluegrass acts, a washed up "modern rock" act, and an over the hill classic rock act to get a twenty minute set from the Detroit Cobras.

jadetree

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 09:26:00 am »
For those who want a preview, I noticed the Hackensaw Boys are playing The Birchmere August 1st.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 09:38:00 am »
I've actually heard the Hackensaw Boys, though not seen them.

We were going to see Frog Holler at Iota a year or two ago, and Hackensaw Boys were opening. We actually had to wait in line until Hackensaw Boys were finished and most of the crowd left, in order to get in. Apparently, they have a pretty rabid following from down around Charlottesville.

Then they played Chief Ike'
 s a few months later for $6. Kind of wish we had gone, but I think something came up to make us miss it.

chaz

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 09:41:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  It's Charlie Louvin, not Jimmy Louvin.

I find it hilarious that you guys would pay $XX???,endure two bluegrass acts, a washed up "modern rock" act, and an over the hill classic rock act to get a twenty minute set from the Detroit Cobras.
Who said anything about "enduring" two blugrass bands?  You're not the only one who might enjoy a bluegrass act.  And while I'm no huge fan by any stretch, seeing Cheap Trick do the hits sounds like a good time to me.  

Cake is the only band on this bill I have absolutely no interest in seeing, and they are playing last so no problem.  I'll just leave.

Seeing the Cobras do their thing is more than just icing on the cake (no pun intended..really) for me.  I'm sure I wouldn't attend if they weren't on the bill.  And while i think it's unlikely they'll play for more then 30 or 40 minutes, I've been waiting a couple years to see them...one of my favorite bands in the US right now.

So for 25 bucks or so, it seems like a bargain to me.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 09:45:00 am »
My guess is that it will be more that $25.

chaz

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 10:11:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  My guess is that it will be more that $25.
Perhaps you're right after all Rhett.  Maybe I shouln't go to this show.  Thanks helping me see the light!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 10:34:00 am »
The thing about the Detroit Cobras is this... The band has already broken up and reformed once.  Prior to 2001 the band played two dates outstide of the Detroit area.  In 2001 they played 15 dates, five in Detroit, the rest in Canada, NYC, LA, San Fran and Ohio.  2002 they played 52 dates, the closest show to the Mid-Atlanic area being Philly.  This year more dates in Philly  and NYC.

So the prospect of seeing this KILLER band live even for 20 minutes is exciting for those of us who follow the band in this area.  Who can't always drive up to Philly or NYC to seen them.

There are couple live shows on the web you can hear here...

http://dumes.net/detroit_cobras/audio_video.html
T.Rex

chaz

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  The thing about the Detroit Cobras is this... The band has already broken up and reformed once.  Prior to 2001 the band played two dates outstide of the Detroit area.  In 2001 they played 15 dates, five in Detroit, the rest in Canada, NYC, LA, San Fran and Ohio.  2002 they played 52 dates, the closest show to the Mid-Atlanic area being Philly.  This year more dates in Philly  and NYC.

So the prospect of seeing this KILLER band live even for 20 minutes is exciting for those of us who follow the band in this area.  Who can't always drive up to Philly or NYC to seen them.

There are couple live shows on the web you can hear here...

http://dumes.net/detroit_cobras/audio_video.html
Kosmo-
 Have you seen the Cobras live?  Where/when?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 11:51:00 am »
i've never seen them live... i wasn't tapped in enough to the detroit scene, when i lived there until 96, when they first started playing around town.

i WISHED i could have seen them on one of their new years eve shows in motown.  it just figures that the detroit music scene would explode after i escaped from there in 96.
T.Rex

walkman

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 12:17:00 pm »
For the record, the Hackensaw Boys are pretty good.  Plus, they have a washboard player who looks like J. Mascis.