Author Topic: Roll Call:BR549  (Read 4460 times)

jadetree

Re: Roll Call:BR549
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject..but I read, or heard on PBS one time that Bluegrass music's origins are from traditional Irish music, "American Irish music' if you like...No?
that is why the chieftains play it, just ask Markie

thirsty moore

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2003, 11:29:00 am »
True enough, I would imagine potatoes yield some pretty hard liquor.

You'd think they would've settled in Idaho!   ;)  

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2003, 11:38:00 am »
Yes, bluegrass music is rooted in a form of Irish music (and Scottish).

Western North Carolina has long been fertile ground for the growth of bluegrass music. In fact, no other region or state has contributed so much to its development.

For many people, the appeal of bluegrass music is that it is a relatively new form of music that sounds old. Most scholars agree that bluegrass first gained national attention when Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys appeared on the Grand Ole Opry in 1945. In addition to Bill Monroe himself, this legendary band consisted of Lester Flatt (guitar), Earl Scruggs (banjo), Chubby Wise (fiddle) and Cedric Rainwater (bass). The reason that bluegrass music sounds old is that it is a syntheses of many older styles of music.

The earliest settlers in western North Carolina were the Scotts-Irish. These early pioneers brought with them a wealth of both vocal and instrumental music traditions.

It was mainly the pioneer women who carried on the strong vocal traditions. Often barred by local custom from playing the more raucous instruments like the banjo or the fiddle, most women preferred to sing. More often than not, they sang the old ballads that had been passed down from mother to daughter for generations. Most of these ballads originated in the British Isles. They were carefully preserved by a culture that was bent on keeping in tact the cultural traditions of their ancestors. They preserved these ancient ballads so well, in fact, that during the years 1916-1918 English folksong collector Cecil Sharp came to western North Carolina for the sole purpose of collecting English ballads in their purest form, because in England these ballads had long been forgotten.

Ballad singing in western North Carolina had a strong impact on what later became known as bluegrass music. The subject matter of most of the ballads was either murder or death. This leant a somber tone to the music. Today, this is referred to as Bluegrass musicâ??s "high lonesome sound." The manner in which the old ballads were sung also affected the singing styles of later bluegrass singers. The women who sang the old Scotts-Irish and English ballads normally sang with a tight voice that produced a high, shrill tone. In contrast, singers from African traditions sang with a looser voice that produced lower and more relaxed tones. Bill Monroe, who later became known as "The father of Bluegrass Music," is the perfect example of someone who sang with the tight vocal style of his Scotts-Irish ancestors. In his case, he was able to emulate the vocal styles of female ballad singers because he naturally had a high vocal range similar to many female singers.

Celeste

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2003, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Bluegrass is an outgrowth of country music. Originally conceived as a way to keep country pure as the genre's popularity continued to grow, it has developed into a style of its own, with its own traditions and quirks...
This seems to be a very postmodern take on "bluegrass"...but maybe true, if the classification and promotion of the genre is what they're talking about, and not the music itself...

paige

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Somebody had to settle Appalachia.  Leave it to the drunks.

I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject..but I read, or heard on PBS one time that Bluegrass music's origins are from traditional Irish music, "American Irish music' if you like...No?
[/b]
yep, all the scots and irish - the backcountry people of early northern america, settled their pale selves into appalachia where they could make some badass moonshine and raise hell without anyone else getting in their way. yea it's pretty badass

mankie

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2003, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:

yep, all the scots and irish - the backcountry people of early northern america, settled their pale selves into appalachia where they could make some badass moonshine and raise hell without anyone else getting in their way. yea it's pretty badass

[/b]
But did they really have to go and start banging their kin? Is Appalachia where the phrase, "who's yer daddy" originated?

thirsty moore

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
I thought that was Manchester...

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2003, 09:09:00 am »
BR549 was simply awesome. Great to see old time country music played with punk rock intensity. Definitely one of thos bands whose stage energy and presence is far better than what comes out on their studio efforts.

mankie

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2003, 10:22:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I thought that was Manchester...
No, Manchester is were the phrase, "fuck off yer twat!" originated from.

mankie

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2003, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  BR549 was simply awesome. Great to see old time country music played with punk rock intensity. Definitely one of thos bands whose stage energy and presence is far better than what comes out on their studio efforts.
I feel I can speak for all the board members when I say, "that's very nice rhett"

Celeste

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2003, 10:41:00 am »
Yes, great show! Lots of energy, impeccable musicianship...and this after breaking down on the road to the show...