Author Topic: Roll Call:BR549  (Read 4461 times)

Roll Call:BR549
« on: July 24, 2003, 02:17:00 pm »
I bet we're the only people on the board who will be at the Birchmere SAturday for this one.

NASHVILLE'S BR549: A FUN LITTLE NUMBER
 By Patrick Foster, Washington Post dated September 7, 2002

It was the "new" BR549 that played the Birchmere on Thursday night, but an old strategy -- a crackling blend of honky-tonk, hillbilly swing and rock-and-roll energy -- proved it remains one of the most entertaining live acts going.

Original members Gary Bennett (guitar-vocals) and Smilin' Jay McDowell (stand-up bass) left the band earlier this year, but singer-guitarist Chuck Mead, drummer Shaw Wilson and versatile instrumentalist Don Herron have carried on, filling out the quintet with guitarist Chris Scruggs and bassist Geoff Firebaugh. Longtime fans have been shaken by the personnel changes (which may have accounted for the smaller than usual turnout for the perennial Birchmere faves), but the familiar BR549 spirit was clearly evident.

Whether he was putting a naughty twist on "Charming Betsy", tearing through Charlie Daniel's "Uneasy Rider", belting out originals like "Bettie Bettie" and "Chains of This Town" or introducing the decidedly goof-looking Scruggs as "the Jedi Knight of hillbilly music," Mead was enjoyable as ever, perhaps now feeling secure as the band's unquestioned leader.

For his part, Scruggs proved a player and singer of great ability, showing real honky-tonk chops on nuggets like Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Shotgun Boogie" and Onie Wheeler's deliciously weird "Onie's Bop".

Having played 29 songs, the musicians looked like they'd hardly broken a sweat, and this revamped lineup sounded as if it could match the four-hour marathons that BR549 a legend at Robert's Western Wear in Nashville. Thursday's show seemed a strong indicator that the BR549 story is far from over.

Jaguär

Re: Roll Call:BR549
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
I bet you are right.   :D

Celeste

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 03:41:00 pm »
Can't wait to wear my new boots!

mankie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 03:49:00 pm »
At least you won't have to get there early to guarantee a good table!....oh, and "quiet please"...just getting you ready for a fun time at the Sushmere.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 03:58:00 pm »
That's what's great about the Birchmere...no gum chewing bitches talking aover tha bands...there asses would be thrown out.

And it waas pretty fully, though not sold out, the last time I saw BR549 there.

Originally posted by mankie:
  At least you won't have to get there early to guarantee a good table!....oh, and "quiet please"...just getting you ready for a fun time at the Sushmere.

ggw

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 04:06:00 pm »
Are they like SR71?

mankie

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 04:15:00 pm »
More like SUM41 I think

mankie

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

That's what's great about the Birchmere...no gum chewing bitches talking aover tha bands...there asses would be thrown out.

Unfortunately, the Shushmere is a bit extreme in that regard, they expect it to be like a bloody library in there.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 04:19:00 pm »

Unfortunately, the Shushmere is a bit extreme in that regard, they expect it to be like a bloody library in there. [/b]
Apparently it's a place that artists really like to play, though.  I was surprised at how much Bob Mould liked that venue, considering he rocks out (even solo), but he just loved it.  Which kinda makes me like it more (not that I go all that often).

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 09:28:00 am »
They are a band that took there name from a Hee Haw skit. They play REAL country (think Eddie Stubbs' show on WAMU) as opposed to pop country or alt-country.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Are they like SR71?

mankie

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 10:35:00 am »
 [QB]

They are a band that took there name from a Hee Haw skit. They play REAL country (think Eddie Stubbs' show on WAMU) as opposed to pop country or alt-country.

Okay, so we have "real country" "alt county" and "pop country"...any other kind of country music I need to stay away from?

What country is bluegrass music?

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 10:38:00 am »
Bluegrass is an outgrowth of country music. Originally conceived as a way to keep country pure as the genre's popularity continued to grow, it has developed into a style of its own, with its own traditions and quirks. If there is anyone responsible for bluegrass, it's Bill Monroe; the genre itself was named after his band. Monroe developed the genre's signature style â?? hard, fast tempos; high, close harmonies; and a pronounced emphasis on instrumental technique â?? in the mid-'40s, and he popularized it during the '50s. By the end of that decade, their sound had become part of country music, and there were legions of bands that followed in their footsteps. During the '60s, such groups as the Dillards took bluegrass further, adding rock and jazz influences to the music and creating the progressive bluegrass subgenre. Progressive bluegrass continued to grow over the next three decades, as traditional bluegrass adhered to the original ideals of bluegrass.

mankie

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 11:11:00 am »
I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject..but I read, or heard on PBS one time that Bluegrass music's origins are from traditional Irish music, "American Irish music' if you like...No?

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 11:14:00 am »
Somebody had to settle Appalachia.  Leave it to the drunks.

I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject..but I read, or heard on PBS one time that Bluegrass music's origins are from traditional Irish music, "American Irish music' if you like...No?

mankie

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
 [QB]

Somebody had to settle Appalachia.  Leave it to the drunks.

]

You'd think they would've settled in Idaho!  ;)