Author Topic: Dear DC venues that aren't the 930 club  (Read 4398 times)

helicon1

Dear DC venues that aren't the 930 club
« on: August 19, 2005, 12:41:00 am »
This should probably be a rant on Craigs List, but what the heck..... If you are a DC venue that isn't the 930 club, please see the aforementioned club's website and learn how to post set times... Then make sure you keep the bands in order they are supposed to go on. I don't feel like showing up and waiting around for a band that has already played. Also, the clubs employees should have basic knowledge of who plays in what order. sorry folks, just frustrated. off to bed for me.

Bags

Re: Dear DC venues that aren't the 930 club
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Wondering what your story is that led to the rant (I'm thinking it was Velvet Lounge).  I agree wholeheartedly, but will never expect as much from other venues.

Also, just an FYI, I'm not sure the club has the ability to ensure bands go on at stated set times, but like so many things, somehow 9:30 has gotten that down well.

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
i understand where you're coming from, but the 930 can only be so accurate because they host bigger shows and can rely on bands arriving in time, as well as fans. when i do shows at the warehouse or DC9, most of the bands arrive in beat-up, unreliable vans, and of course have nobody managing/babysitting them. and then when you do have everything under control, people don't even show up until well after doors, so the opening bands don't want to play when nobody's around. i try to begin shows at a reasonable time, but it doesn't always work out that way. sometimes soundcheck takes forever, or some equipment is busted and we have to scramble to replace it or fix it.

the world of independent/underground touring/booking is a lot like spinal tap and is incredibly unpredictable. at larger venues, things are run much more smoothly.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
the black cat does a good job of sticking to it's schedule... doors are a bit late some times due to soundchecks.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  i understand where you're coming from, but the 930 can only be so accurate because they host bigger shows and can rely on bands arriving in time, as well as fans. when i do shows at the warehouse or DC9, most of the bands arrive in beat-up, unreliable vans, and of course have nobody managing/babysitting them. and then when you do have everything under control, people don't even show up until well after doors, so the opening bands don't want to play when nobody's around. i try to begin shows at a reasonable time, but it doesn't always work out that way. sometimes soundcheck takes forever, or some equipment is busted and we have to scramble to replace it or fix it.

the world of independent/underground touring/booking is a lot like spinal tap and is incredibly unpredictable. at larger venues, things are run much more smoothly.
well said.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »
But where on their website can you find the set times?

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  the black cat does a good job of sticking to it's schedule... doors are a bit late some times due to soundchecks.

TomJaworski

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 04:30:00 pm »
The set times at the Black Cat are easy to follow. The first band goes on a half-hour after the doors open. And, each subsequent band goes on an hour later. For example, doors-930pm, 1st band-10pm, 2nd band-11pm, and headliner-12am. Is that so difficult?

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
Where did you find that on their website?

Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  The set times at the Black Cat are easy to follow. The first band goes on a half-hour after the doors open. And, each subsequent band goes on an hour later. For example, doors-930pm, 1st band-10pm, 2nd band-11pm, and headliner-12am. Is that so difficult?

helicon1

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
We are probably so spoiled because the 9:30 club makes it very easy for us. Actually, I was across the street at DC9, wanted to catch Verbal's set. Did the same thing happen at Velvet? I know that was a highly anticipated show.....

Snailhook, I understand what you mean about bands not being organized. When I open my venue (:-) and book local acts, I'm going to stick to a "Tough S**T" policy. If you don't come prepared, you lose out.

Sage 703

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
i think this was actually just a mistake made by the venue - in DC9's case.  I'm friends with Thao and the members of her band, and they had always planned on playing last at this show, as it was her CD release and the guys from Verbal were going to be guesting with her.  So I think it was just a mistake; unfortunate for sure.  Sorry that you missed Verbal's set - they were better than I remember them being.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
  We are probably so spoiled because the 9:30 club makes it very easy for us. Actually, I was across the street at DC9, wanted to catch Verbal's set. Did the same thing happen at Velvet? I know that was a highly anticipated show.....
Don't know what happened at Velvet last night, but it's certainly happened in the past.  I've called to get set times, and it seems clear they're telling me anything just to get me off the phone...

I've had the problem at DC9 as well -- though they've never advertised a set time that was really off, but was there to see a band that went on close to midnight on a weekday.  I'm too old for that...  Now Friday's another matter!

helicon1

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  i think this was actually just a mistake made by the venue - in DC9's case.  I'm friends with Thao and the members of her band, and they had always planned on playing last at this show, as it was her CD release and the guys from Verbal were going to be guesting with her.  So I think it was just a mistake; unfortunate for sure.  Sorry that you missed Verbal's set - they were better than I remember them being.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't there for Thao but I thought she was good.

TomJaworski

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
It doesn't have to be on the website for it to exist. I witnessed it work that way several times give or take 5-10 minutes.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 04:54:00 pm »
So because Lonnie Beale witnessed it work several times, that make it "easy to follow" for the rest of us?

What about those of us who rarely go to the Black Cat? How are we supposed to know the set times when we do go????? Or how is someone who hasn't read Lonnie Beale's comments on the 9:30 board supposed to know?

Originally posted by LonnieBeale:

It doesn't have to be on the website for it to exist. I witnessed it work that way several times give or take 5-10 minutes. [/b]

snailhook

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
the black cat generally follows the same schedule as the warehouse. DC9 is slightly behind them. the velvet follows no such schedule, and shows there are always a crapshoot.

on weekdays. doors at black cat and the warehouse are always 8:30 (9:00 if it's the backstage). shows are supposed to start at 9. the set times are 9, 10, and 11. however, it rarely works out like that. backstage shows are supposed to be 9:30 and 10:30. most places try to enforce following set times, but also want to accommodate the bands, and if they want to wait a little while for some people to show up, then things are pushed back accordingly.

for instance, if i advertise my shows as starting at 9 and nobody is there, the bands and i will agree to push it back to maybe 9:30. there is a better chance of starting "on time" when there are already a good amount of people at the venue.