Author Topic: White Stripes go Country  (Read 5776 times)

jadetree

White Stripes go Country
« on: February 12, 2003, 10:30:00 am »
I have no hopes for the White Stripes new album, but for a millisecond this interested me.<BR> <A HREF="http://nme.com/news/104165.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://nme.com/news/104165.htm[/url] <P>THE WHITE STRIPES GO COUNTRY!<P><BR>THE WHITE STRIPES have gone country for their new album! <BR>But relax, it's only in the press shots for the eagerly awaited 'Elephant' that Jack and Meg have opted for a transformation. <P>The pics find Jack looking like a cross between Hank Williams and Lucifer in an extravagant red cowboy shirt, his face ghostly white. Meg, meanwhile, is beside him in a billowy white dress and big bouffant hair, part Addams Family, part Loretta Lynn. <P>Jack said to NME.COM that the band are on a new country death tip and that they want to look like "dying country stars". And he went on to say that 'Elephant', out on April 7, is "dedicated to the death of the sweetheart" because there is no honesty left in modern country music. <P>"We're kind of dying country stars on the cover and that's one little aspect of this whole death of a sweetheart idea," he explained. "Modern country music has obliterated all honesty from country." <P>Of the record's title he added: "The album's called 'Elephant' to represent both me and Meg's personalities off stage and in real life - majesty and regalness, and innocence and subtlety - but it also ties in with this death of a sweetheart notion. <P>"There are a lot of myths about elephants, like they go to just one place to die. I'd seen a documentary and they become very emotional if they come across the dead bones of another elephant and try to start burying them. It seemed really amazing that another creature would care that much about its own species." <BR>

Celeste

Re: White Stripes go Country
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 10:56:00 am »
I know how you feel about being interested for a millisecond...the "death of the sweetheart" concept is valuable, and I guess things could be done with that...and the elephant musings are cool...but I feel kind of like how I used to feel when I got stoned and me and my friends thought we had come up with all kinds of cool ideas, only to look back and think...what the hell?

keithstg

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 11:38:00 am »
True, though Jack has a good point about all honesty being removed from country music.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 11:40:00 am »
Like that's some sort of brilliant revelation? Geez, next thing you know he's going to tell us that Bin Laden is an evil man.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keithstg:<BR><B>True, though Jack has a good point about all honesty being removed from country music.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Celeste

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
yeah, I suppose that could be said for mainstream modern country music...but it could be said for lots of music, and what is the big value of honesty in music, necessarily?

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 11:44:00 am »
Without honesty, the words are pretty meaningless. Some of us put up with the music for the sake of the lyrics.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celeste:<BR><B>yeah, I suppose that could be said for mainstream modern country music...but it could be said for lots of music, and what is the big value of honesty in music, necessarily?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
<BR>I actually have the new White Stripes and I think it's pretty damn good. All in all, the song writing feels a good bit more developed than their first effort, which never impressed me all that much considering the hype surrounding it. I haven't really paid enough attention to the lyrical content to pick up on any underlying themes, but I'll probably be listening for it now. Musically, I am digging it.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 11:57:00 am »
White Blood Cells was their third album. When you speak of their "first effort", which album are you speaking of?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B><BR>I actually have the new White Stripes and I think it's pretty damn good. All in all, the song writing feels a good bit more developed than their first effort, which never impressed me all that much considering the hype surrounding it. I haven't really paid enough attention to the lyrical content to pick up on any underlying themes, but I'll probably be listening for it now. Musically, I am digging it.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

ggw

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
I've heard nothing but praise for the album, although I haven't heard it myself.  It was also reportedly recorded for $10,000.

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller:<BR><B>White Blood Cells was their third album. When you speak of their "first effort", which album are you speaking of?<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My mistake. I always assumed White Blood Cells was the first full length. I knew they were around for a while before it took off, but I hadn't realized they actually had two other albums in the bag. But I guess I never really cared either, since WBC never impressed me enough to warrant purchasing it, much less delve into the bands history. I only gave this a shot because it came highly recommended and I've been pleasantly surprised.<p>[This message has been edited by wingelbert humptyback (edited 02-12-2003).]

Mobius

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2003, 12:16:00 pm »
there must be SOMEONE making honest country music out there, even if mainstream country isn't.  i mean, you can't say there's no honest punk music out there just because avril lavigne is marketed as being "punk".  i like the sentiment though.

markie

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
I certainly beleived Rhett Miller when he said he was leaving the backdoor open.

Celeste

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 12:27:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller:<BR><B>Without honesty, the words are pretty meaningless. Some of us put up with the music for the sake of the lyrics.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>not necessarily...artifice can be "meaningful"...I think this whole "honesty" thing Jack White is saying is a little pretentious...maybe the contemporary mainstream country acts are "honestly" shallow...maybe it is being all too honest that people like sexy bodies, material goods, lighthearted fluff, blind patriotism, etc...<P>

markie

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 12:31:00 pm »
I dunno though....<P>like at interpol where you are not entirely sure they mean it, as opposed to Lambchop or spiritualized where you have no questions about their authenticity and candidness.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2003, 12:32:00 pm »
Of course there are, it's called alt-country. Try some Wayne Hancock or Iris Dement or some of Robbie Fulks' more countryish stuff.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mobius:<BR><B>there must be SOMEONE making honest country music out there, even if mainstream country isn't.  i mean, you can't say there's no honest punk music out there just because avril lavigne is marketed as being "punk".  i like the sentiment though.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>