Author Topic: Bright Eyes  (Read 11145 times)

paige

Re: Bright Eyes
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2003, 02:35:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lily1:<BR><B>someone please give a description of bright eyes? i've heard the name tossed around but don't know anything. thanks.   </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hard to describe... think along the indie-"emo" (i hate that word) kind of genre.. low key neato stuff

grotty

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2003, 02:36:00 pm »
from allmusic.com:<P>When Bright Eyes brainchild Conor Oberst issued Lifted or the Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground in August 2002, he was 22 years old. Critics were already calling him the "indie Bob Dylan," but the new millennium had seen a lot of those introverted, intelligent types (Ryan Adams, Beck). Bright Eyes, though, delivered a solid, intricately produced album without the majors' monotony. Immediately, one can sense Oberst's literate approach. His vocal curdle is abrasive, yet warm. It's similar to the cooing of Robert Smith, but lush in heartache like Paul Westerberg, leaving the storybook of Lifted or the Story... to earn massive praise. "Waste of Pain" is rough-cut with edgy acoustics, while "From a Balance Beam" glows with pop-like optimism. Chimes and simple drumming keep the story of personal insecurity and the fear of the unknown come alive in a dreamy sort of way. Even when he's aching his way through the pop rumble of "Method Acting," Bright Eyes convincingly lures one into his eclectic musical world. Oberst obviously has the talent to support the hype. "Lover I Don't Have to Love" is a dark number with its Radiohead-like doom and gloom; however, the piano swirl of "A Bowl of Oranges" offers a brighter reflection. On Lifted or the Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground, Bright Eyes has mixed badness with beauty for a sonic storybook that relates to everyone. It's slightly overwhelming at first, but one must allow a grace period to fully absorb the abstract desire behind this album.

paige

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2003, 02:36:00 pm »
that was a horrible description, haha. sorry about that. if you can get your hands on "Lifted...." you should do it. great stuff

walkman

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2003, 02:54:00 pm »
And with Arab Strap, no less?  That should be a great show.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
Hraka.
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2003, 02:17:00 pm »
you know. . i don't understand the fascination with bright eyes.  i saw them open for grandaddy at metro, god, a few years ago now, and i wasn't impressed at all.  to me, it was a whiny kid's attempt to sound like mark kozelek or mark eitzel, and sing bad poetry.  suffice to say, i find red house painters far more fulfilling and interesting than bright eyes. ..
OU812

jadetree

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venerable Bede:<BR><B>you know. . i don't understand the fascination with bright eyes.  i saw them open for grandaddy at metro, god, a few years ago now, and i wasn't impressed at all.  to me, it was a whiny kid's attempt to sound like mark kozelek or mark eitzel, and sing bad poetry.  suffice to say, i find red house painters far more fulfilling and interesting than bright eyes. .. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>So you are basing it on one show?  I can see a lot of people not liking him, I know I would not like him if I was basing it on the first show I saw him, but the second time I saw him was excellent, a completely different experience than the first time.  I would not compare him to Mark Eitzel, then again, I can't stand Mark Eitzel.<BR>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »
since i make the same accusation towards barcelona, i will now clarify and add to my statement. . .i tried listening to one of his cd's, don't even know which one, but was completely put off by it.  again, if i wanted relationship-angst, i'll stick with red house painters, far more interesting, both lyrically and musically.  mind you, i should like bright eyes, especially with my musical tastes, but i just can't.
OU812

jadetree

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2003, 03:09:00 pm »
Fair enough. I wonder which album it was you heard, the more time it is out I don't like his new album nearly as much as his first two LPs, but it seems to be bring him all the attention.  I may have to take another listen to Red House Painters, I believe my roommate has Songs for a Blue Guitar, is that a good one?

raebyddet

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2003, 03:16:00 pm »
While Red House Painters is generally low key and I like them, I don't think that they are really comparable to Bright Eyes.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
compared to their other cds, that particular one is one of my least favourite. . . my favourites are rollercoaster and ocean beach.  perhaps i'll give them another listen, as i said, they seem like something i should like.  course, i should like yo la tengo but i don't.
OU812

jadetree

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venerable Bede:<BR><B>compared to their other cds, that particular one is one of my least favourite. . . my favourites are rollercoaster and ocean beach.  perhaps i'll give them another listen, as i said, they seem like something i should like.  course, i should like yo la tengo but i don't.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I go through periods when I really enjoy Yo La Tengo, then they bore me for a while.  Don't think I will go to that show, not a band I am very excited to see live.

duby76

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2003, 11:21:00 am »
sorry, i just had to jump on this thread.  a friend recently introduced me to bright eyes, and i feel in love with conner's voice.  im also an arab strap fan.  hope to run into some of you at the show!  im very excited to see this pair together!<BR>

ggw

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
Wasn't Winona dating Conor Oberst?

lily1

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 11:38:00 am »
someone describe arab strap please?<P>rather fecked up name, don't you think?