Author Topic: Best Onstage Banter  (Read 15956 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Best Onstage Banter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »
Yes! Josh Homme from Queens is in the top 10! There's lots of videos on youtube about him chewing people out, he even pushes a guy off stage. Just recently he popped a vicodin on stage and almost had to fight 3 guys in the crowd. Here's the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EGXjTi0VemA

It happens about halfway through the video.
‼‼?‼‼

Mobius

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »
"Does anyone remember laughter?"

Robert Plant during Stairway to Heaven in The Song Remains the Same.  Hilarious.

Paul Stanley is my favorite though.  He's so unapologetically cheesy that you're totally with him.  "Looks like we're going to have ourselves a rock and roll party tonight!!!!"

Axl Rose is one of the all-time best - although he's more in the category of 'rant' than 'banter'

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:

Axl Rose is one of the all-time best - although he's more in the category of 'rant' than 'banter'
Agreed.  Axl and Courtney Love were the best two I've ever seen.

The "just shut up and play" award?: Fiona Apple.

Brian

mrpee

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »
Not really stage banter, per se, but Lou Barlow used to run some really funny commentary tracks/tapes during Dinosaur and Sebadoh shows.  
Lou is a quick wit, undoubtedly. Once saw him introduce Sebadoh's cover of "Pink Moon" with an improvised oral biography of Nick Drake that lasted about 10 minutes and was totally erroneous. He capped it off by actually crying for about three minutes. So good it was surreal.

mrpee

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »
Not really stage banter, per se, but Lou Barlow used to run some really funny commentary tracks/tapes during Dinosaur and Sebadoh shows.  
Lou is a quick wit, undoubtedly. Once saw him introduce Sebadoh's cover of "Pink Moon" with an improvised oral biography of Nick Drake that lasted about 10 minutes and was totally erroneous. He capped it off by actually crying for about three minutes. So good it was surreal.

PigIron

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »
I've heard some good stuff from Josh Homme in recent years but the all-time greatest performers of in-between-song banter are David Yow and Mike Patton.  I'd buy a live show from either of their bands if the music was cut out entirely.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »
Courtney Love and Josh Homme, FTW.
Woof.

mrpee

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »
so good I said it twice. *sob*

I Dare

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 07:49:00 am »
lex from daughters. if anyone was at the R&R show earlier this year, that pretty much explains it.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 07:52:00 am »
I'd give the shut up and play award to Phil Anselmo.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »
Some of the most hilarious schtick I've ever heard came from Greg Dulli.  Probably the most hilarious concert moment I ever saw was him climbing one of the PA stacks at 9:30 (a la Eddie Vedder in one of Pearl Jam's early videos)....and halfway up he sarcastically growled into the mic "And he hit me with a surprise left" .....hysterical.

GG Allin was very funny live, as well as the Candy Snatchers, good drunken bloody fun.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
did he play any of his work from mtv's sex in the 90s series?
OU812

nkotb

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »
How funny.  I've never heard anyone mention this, and had all but forgotten about it myself.  Man, he seemed so wussy on that show.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by Relaxer:
did he play any of his work from mtv's sex in the 90s series? [/b]

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
Glen from the Frames is always entertaining.
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 10:36:00 am »
All the guys in the Wombats were very chatty throughout the set. It was pretty funny when they were trying to get people in the audience to waltz. Didnt go over very well.
HeyLa