Author Topic: WSC on Friday  (Read 8473 times)

Bags

WSC on Friday
« on: December 15, 2003, 06:15:00 pm »
Okay, Friday night, Washington Social Club showat the Cat.  I'll be there by 10 in the Red Room.  Hoping to make Friday a crazy last night in town before I fly off to sunny strip mall St. Petersburg on Saturday (thereby missing all the fun and possible goody swapping at the forum gathering on Monday).

Friday should be an interesting one; I have two happy hours before I even get to the Black Cat.    :p

Re: WSC on Friday
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 06:25:00 pm »
I am truly amazed when people in their mid-thirties go out and do the club scene as much as you do. Do you think you'll ever get tired of it all? I mean, it's basically the same thing, night after night, year after year...

But if that's what makes you happy, more power to ya I guess.

Originally posted by Bagster:
  Okay, Friday night, Washington Social Club showat the Cat.  I'll be there by 10 in the Red Room.  Hoping to make Friday a crazy last night in town before I fly off to sunny strip mall St. Petersburg on Saturday (thereby missing all the fun and possible goody swapping at the forum gathering on Monday).

Friday should be an interesting one; I have two happy hours before I even got to the Black Cat.    :p  

Bags

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 06:30:00 pm »
I'm not really sure what club scene you think I "do"....The only clubs I go to are Black Cat, 9:30, Iota.  My happy hours are event based -- our office's offsite is that day, and we're staying after for about an hour.  And then a friend just got a new job and is gathering friends at Chi Cha to celebrate his last day at his old job.  Then WSC because I have so much fun at their shows every time...

I guess you stay busy when you have lots of friends.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 06:45:00 pm »
i GUESS i just mean the music clubs. Really, at 36, I don't think i can take more than one or two shows a month. More than that and the appeal wears thin fast. though if i had lived in dc when i was 22 I'm sure I would have seen many more shows.

I'm not really sure what club scene you think I "do"....The only clubs I go to are Black Cat, 9:30, Iota.  My happy hours are event based -- our office's offsite is that day, and we're staying after for about an hour.  And then a friend just got a new job and is gathering friends at Chi Cha to celebrate his last day at his old job.  Then WSC because I have so much fun at their shows every time...

I guess you stay busy when you have lots of friends.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 06:55:00 pm »
Well, I only see bands I want to see.  In other words, I don't just go to the Black Cat and see whatever's playing.  But I will say, the appeal does not wear thin for me.  

Of course, it's not constant.  There will be a couple, maybe three weeks, when there are lots of shows I want to see, and I make many (but not all; I can't keep up that pace if we're talking four or more shows in a week).  But then there will be two to three weeks with nothing.  It'll be two weeks since the Buzzcocks by the time I see WSC this Friday.

And, I live a 12-minute bus ride or $6.90 cab ride away.  So it's easy, if it's mid-week; I can literally do the whole thing in a couple of hours.  And I do love it.

I don't know why it should be different because I'm in my mid-30s.

paige

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 08:05:00 pm »
i should be there on friday... after i make a stop at a christmas party (let's hope there's lots of festive red wine)..who else will be there? it's been a while since i've been to the 'cat to actually see a show.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »
I don't know - I'm an old fart and it hasn't worn thin for me yet either. Then again, I attend shows differently than when I was in my early 20's.  I no longer feel the need to be pressed up against the stage, to see every second of every opening act, to get there an hour early so I'm first in line, etc.  It's just about seeing bands I'm interested in.  As long as I'm still interested, it's worth checking out.  Some people go to movies or go out to eat a couple times a week.  I go see bands.

Of course, if I attended every show I wrote down on my calendar, I'd probably be dead in a month.

I just wish more of my friends weren't married home-body's that are afraid to be out after 11:00pm these days.

As for WSC on Friday, it depends on if I get my den painted and get my Xmas tree up before Friday.  We're having people over on Saturday, so everything's gotta be ready before then.  Is it bad form to leave your own Xmas party early?

Bags

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Skeeter:
  Then again, I attend shows differently than when I was in my early 20's.  I no longer feel the need to be pressed up against the stage, to see every second of every opening act, to get there an hour early so I'm first in line, etc.  It's just about seeing bands I'm interested in.  As long as I'm still interested, it's worth checking out.  Some people go to movies or go out to eat a couple times a week.  I go see bands.

Of course, if I attended every show I wrote down on my calendar, I'd probably be dead in a month.

I just wish more of my friends weren't married home-body's that are afraid to be out after 11:00pm these days.

I am on exactly the same wave length, and that probably makes a big difference.  I only check out an opening band if I've heard of them and specifically want to see them.  I also show up way after doors open, and never bother squeezing (or standing around waiting) up front (unless it's do-able ro move up during the show and the band is just wow-ing me, like @ the Buzzcocks show).

That's probably what I'll miss about my current group of friends who go to shows with me.  We're all on the same page in terms of how we like to do concerts.  

And ditto, I write down all the shows I'm interested in, and I think I see about half, maybe a bit less.

Skeeter -- hope you get the den painted and tree up!  If not, maybe see you at the Carlsonics on the 27th?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 04:04:00 pm »
  Skeeter -- hope you get the den painted and tree up!  If not, maybe see you at the Carlsonics on the 27th?
It's on the calendar.   :)   Of the 2 shows, it's more likely we'll be at WSC.  I convinced the SO to go see the Slickees at Iota on the 26th.  The Carlsonics on the 27th may be pushing it.  He likes WSC though, and it would be a nice reward for ourselves if we get all that work done.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
I have no access to computers tomorrow, so one last reminder!

paige

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
who still plans on going tonight? i should be there... unless a catastrophic event occurs.   ;)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
Since I'm so grown up and all, I won't be going.  I mean, c'mon...Rock shows are kids stuff.  I can't believe you people even ever bother to go to shows.  When will you all just grow up like me and Rhett?

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »
I'm going to be there. I'm with Skeeter's assessment as well. Going to a show is just about the best way to spend time and money these days, especially when it's something like three bands for ten bucks. I love catching the opening bands though. That's how I got turned on to WSC, as well as the Carlsonics, and how I got turned on to a lot of bands, like Idlewild (opened for Placebo), the Strokes (opened for Doves), the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (opened for GvB), etc.
oword