Author Topic: Howard Stern and SIRIUS  (Read 2751 times)

Sieve-Fisted

Howard Stern and SIRIUS
« on: October 06, 2004, 08:51:00 am »
Radio Innovator Signs Five-Year Agreement to Broadcast on SIRIUS Beginning in 2006
 Landmark Deal for SIRIUS and Satellite Radio Industry, With Significant Potential to Accelerate Growth for SIRIUS

The Full Story

Venerable Bede

Re: Howard Stern and SIRIUS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:48:00 am »
well, if they announced that they were gonna start having mlb play-by-play, since they already have nfl and nhl, that would be way bigger news, at least for me.
OU812

Bags

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
DAMN, I was hoping he'd go with XM.  I'd rather get XM, I think the alternative music choices are better.  But, looks like I'm going with Sirius...

mustourdman

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 02:47:00 pm »
As someone who's close to subscribing to one or the other of these, I'm interested in hearing more of the pros and cons for each. Sirius has Stern, XM has Bob Edwards... someone above says better alternative on XM... XM is cheaper by like $3/month. What else?

jmascis

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  DAMN, I was hoping he'd go with XM.  I'd rather get XM, I think the alternative music choices are better.  But, looks like I'm going with Sirius...
I feel the same way..I just left there site looking for what to buy. My buddy at work just bought 250 shares of sirius @ 4.50 a share. He hopes the news will skyrocket the shares.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  DAMN, I was hoping he'd go with XM.  I'd rather get XM, I think the alternative music choices are better.  
I agree. A friend of mine just got XM and the playlists are great.

flawd101

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 08:29:00 pm »
i heard him debate the issue just about a week ago on my way to skol...

i wonder what his show will be like uncut....

J'Mal

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 03:30:00 pm »
the music philosophy is very, very different between the two services.

XM is very deep and broad.  There are some channels designed to be poppy, but its more the service for people who actually like music.

Sirius is very FM-like in their limited, ultra tight  playlists.  This philosophy extends not just to the poppier stations, but also to their "indie" station.

Here are some typical threads that discuss/describe the issues with LOC (sirius) and XMU (XM) (note there are LOTS of threads on the sirius fan site complaining about the repetition and shallowness of the playlist):

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12549&sid=31f4966de814cecc1c8e29bdd1bc03e9

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13414&sid=31f4966de814cecc1c8e29bdd1bc03e9

and from the xm perspective (read the whole thread, particulary page 3)...

http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4364&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 03:49:00 pm »
So is Stern's show going to be on a Premium station that costs extra?

J'Mal

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  So is Stern's show going to be on a Premium station that costs extra?
the main show, no.  but he will have another channel that is premium.  it is unclear what goes on it.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 04:19:00 pm »
J'mal, I hear you.  I have no doubt the music is much better on XM.  Alas, I'm perfectly willing to pay $12 a month to listen just to Stern.  What can I say, I've got 15 years of listening in....  

Though, I will say, if it's all about getting much more graphic sexual content in *place* of his current ratio of celebrity interviews/discussions with his staff/general interest news, I may not stay.  But I think it will largely be the same show, but uncensored.

This is the brilliance of Sirius getting Stern.  I don't listen to radio now, except for Stern, so though I'll be a satellite subscriber, my music habits may not change.

J'Mal

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 05:51:00 pm »
well, bags, then that's your loss...  the whole idea behind satellite radio is that it ISN'T like the radio that you don't listen to.  XM gets that.  Sirius, only partially -- they understand the need to cut commercials and offer lots of genres, but still think people want to hear only three or five songs a month, over and over again.

Personally, I don't care about Howard Stern, he's only mildly interesting -- too much endless inside jokes about himself and his crew.  I don't really care if baabaaboey has anal with his wife.  I've also got no use for all the sports and talk radio on XM.  For me, it's about the music, and the music on XM is done right.   :(

rigsby

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 09:41:00 pm »
bags dont you listen to ron and fez, these guys are so funny.
 106.7  7pm-11pm then one hour is repeated the next day at 11-12 after stern.

jmascis

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 11:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  well, bags, then that's your loss...  the whole idea behind satellite radio is that it ISN'T like the radio that you don't listen to.  XM gets that.  Sirius, only partially -- they understand the need to cut commercials and offer lots of genres, but still think people want to hear only three or five songs a month, over and over again.

Personally, I don't care about Howard Stern, he's only mildly interesting -- too much endless inside jokes about himself and his crew.  I don't really care if baabaaboey has anal with his wife.  I've also got no use for all the sports and talk radio on XM.  For me, it's about the music, and the music on XM is done right.     :(  
How could you not care if baabaaboey is giving it to his wife up the hershey highway???

J'Mal

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 12:04:00 am »
I don't even care about Rhett and his wife and the hershey highway.