Author Topic: Hello Cleveland!!  (Read 6300 times)

keithstg

Re: Hello Cleveland!!
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2004, 09:41:00 am »
Originally posted by marquee smith:
  You're calling John Waters dopey?
I suppose that I can make one exception.

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
What about John Sopkins???

keithstg

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2004, 10:05:00 am »
Originally posted by marquee smith:
  What about John Sopkins???
Nope. Just one exception.   ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  There's more to making a good city than good dive bars and music venues. Bottom line: Cleveland is an impoverished, second tier city with dopey people, and no beauty.

the glaring ignorance of rhett is astonishing sometimes.  its almost ironic that you talk of everything the way you do...

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2004, 10:30:00 am »
So why would I want to go to Cleveland, when I can get to Baltimore in an hour?

Originally posted by keithstg:

[QB] There's more to making a good city than good dive bars and music venues. Bottom line: Cleveland is an impoverished, second tier city with dopey people, and no beauty.

Sounds like Baltimore to me. [/b]

keithstg

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
  There's more to making a good city than good dive bars and music venues. Bottom line: Cleveland is an impoverished, second tier city with dopey people, and no beauty.

Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
  Cleveland has got one of the best dive venues in the country in the Beachland Tavern (perhaps I'm biased b/c I saw a great Sonic Boom, Volta Sound, Warlocks show there three years ago), a great indie label in Elephant Stone Records, a great psych music scene (The Volta Sound, New Planet Trampoline, The Dreadful Yawns, 9 Volt Haunted House) and the areas of Coventry and Lakewood have some good bars and a decent college radio station at Cleveland State U.
[/b]
I guess the lingering question for me is - why the virulent reaction to Cleveland, and where are you from? I highly doubt that Cleveland is any worse...

sonickteam2

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
yeah  have you even been to Cleveland?  and arent you from like Charlotte or something?

thats not even a city, thats a podunk town, like the Moose Jaw of America!

Barcelona

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2004, 11:01:00 am »

Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
  Cleveland has got one of the best dive venues in the country in the Beachland Tavern (perhaps I'm biased b/c I saw a great Sonic Boom, Volta Sound, Warlocks show there three years ago), a great indie label in Elephant Stone Records, a great psych music scene (The Volta Sound, New Planet Trampoline, The Dreadful Yawns, 9 Volt Haunted House) and the areas of Coventry and Lakewood have some good bars and a decent college radio station at Cleveland State U.
[/b]
Rhett doesn't like Cleveland? Now I want to move to this city!

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
I'm from upstate New York, with the emphasis on FROM. At least where I'm from, there is beautiful countryside, though that wouldn't be enough to make me move back there.

No, I've never been to Cleveland. I still haven't read, seen, or heard anything about Cleveland that would make it unique from Birmingham, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Worcester, or Albany, all of which I've been to but see no reason to return to.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  yeah  have you even been to Cleveland?  and arent you from like Charlotte or something?

thats not even a city, thats a podunk town, like the Moose Jaw of America!

keithstg

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
  I'm from upstate New York, with the emphasis on FROM.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Let me get this straight, you are from Upstate NY, and think that CLEVELAND is economically depressed? What?

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1093599224164580.xml

Cleveland is #1 in poverty among big cities.

And yes, people are generally economically strapped where I grew up.

Other than visiting my mom, and hiking in the Adirondacks, there's not much reason to go to upstate NY either.

[/b]
Let me get this straight, you are from Upstate NY, and think that CLEVELAND is economically depressed? What? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Barcelona

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2004, 11:30:00 am »

[/b]
Let me get this straight, you are from Upstate NY, and think that CLEVELAND is economically depressed? What? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Rhett has this permanent need to be different from the rest, he starts with a position (always opposed to what most people think just to be different) and he has to stick with it forever to show that he is different. He is not different at all, I actually think he is the most mainstream board member.

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
You guys must be really bored.

My point is that
 1.there are a lot of places in the world that I have not been to, and wish to go to.
 2 There are other places I have been to, and wish to return to.
 3 There are many other places I have been to, and have no desire to return to.
 4 There are still other places that I have no desire to go to.

From the information I can gather, Cleveland is probably reminiscient of places that fell into category #3, and falls into #4.

And a music festival isn't enough to lure me someplace I have no desire to visit, when there are tons of other places I do desire visiting.

OK?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
#3 sounds like springfield, va
o/\o

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2004, 11:41:00 am »
Good, because I wouldn't want to live in a tourist destination anyway.

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  #3 sounds like springfield, va