Author Topic: fantasy football: a league of our own  (Read 285808 times)

Yada

Re: fantasy football: a league of our own
« Reply #510 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:45 am »
That Vick in the first round pick is going to take me to the top!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #511 on: September 01, 2011, 11:15:50 am »
he won me last year's championship in large part... and he wasn't even drafted, i got him as a free agent in like the 3rd or 4th week.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #512 on: September 01, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »
sorry i am posting here . . . but i love d&d, and roleplaying games, and all aspects of what i think fantasy sports is all about.  is it difficult to just learn, and how does one learn it.  is there a wonderful website that will teach me, or is it best to just find people who are doing it in real life and ask them.  it seems so overwhelming and so much to constantly keep up with.  and i have negative field/court advantage, because i don't even have cable or sat.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »
sorry i am posting here . . . but i love d&d, and roleplaying games, and all aspects of what i think fantasy sports is all about.  is it difficult to just learn, and how does one learn it.  is there a wonderful website that will teach me, or is it best to just find people who are doing it in real life and ask them.  it seems so overwhelming and so much to constantly keep up with.  and i have negative field/court advantage, because i don't even have cable or sat.

I'm sure you love playing roleplaying games, but I'm calling bullshit.  You've never played Dungeons & Dragons in your life.

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #514 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:05 pm »
walkies: if you want to learn how to play fantasy football, i'd suggest googling "fantasy football 101".  it'll point you to several sites with good introductions.

in a nutshell, fantasy football involves choosing which players on your vitual team will "play" for you that week (you have more players than starting spots, so some "play" for you while others sit on the bench).  you get fantasy points based on how well the player does in real NFL football.  note that you can have players from different NFL teams, you pick who is on your team during the season-starting draft.  after that you can add and drop players throughout the season.  it's not quite as immediately interactive as D&D - you make choices, then set back and see what happens.

unfortunately it's too late to join the League930, we've already held our draft.  but every purveyor of fantasy football services (yahoo sports, espn, cbs sports, sports illustrated, etc) allows you to join a public league (or get some friends together and start a league).  consider this year a practice run and join us next year.

You've never played Dungeons & Dragons in your life.

what makes you say that?  he's got an over-active imagination, he's into conspiracy theories, he spends a lot of time online... sounds like the modern-day hallmarks of a former D&D'er to me.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #515 on: September 02, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
yeah . . . what he said.  thanks the info.

wml7

« Reply #516 on: September 02, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »

;D

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #517 on: September 02, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »
i remember i learned dungeons and dragons in the sixth grade, in a small town, in a house that was haunted, probably by something evilish.  i'm sure it helped me become very skilled in it from obsessive play that borderlined on--i'm sure--obnoxiousness to every one around me who wasn't playing it.  fantasy football just seems so radically different because it is mainly played by alpha male dominate brute force kind of guys (not that there is anything wrong with that type of man) that take it super serious to a level that . . . wait a minute, i think people who play d&d are sometimes mentally unstable and cold kill you, and no not just your character, for things done within the game, so maybe fantasy football isn't bad.  perhaps i too will be able to play in next year's vansmackarama.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #518 on: September 02, 2011, 06:06:16 pm »
perhaps i too will be able to play in next year's vansmackarama.

to be clear, vansmack doesn't play in our fantasy football league (he claims we're below him, or some such B.S.)

what smackie organizes (here) is the survivor pool, a different NFL-related game.  in survivor, the goal is to pick one team per week that will win.  once you've picked a team, you can't choose that team again.  sounds easy, right?  i've never been in a survivor pool that has lasted all the way through the season.  once the obvious choices - patriots, colts, packers, etc - are taken, you're left trying to pick raiders/seahawks or bengals/bills... just making it halfway through the season is an accomplishment.

if you think you're good at picking winners, there is still time to join.  $5 is all it will cost ya, and if you out-pick everyone else you keep everyone else's $5.  there are also $100 and $1000 pools, if you wanna roll high.
<sig>

Shadrach

« Reply #519 on: September 04, 2011, 11:31:31 am »
I played d&d for a brief stint in the 5th or 6th grade and while my memory of it isn't vivid, I do recall it's essentially a dice rolling game. Fantasy football on the other hand is more about analyzing statistics and trends. They are both games of chance and neither of them require a great deal of skill, the main difference being that fantasy football, while using the word "fantasy," is actually based on reality.

Of course I think the comparison was intentionally made to poke fun at fantasy football players...

vansmack

« Reply #520 on: September 09, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
to be clear, vansmack doesn't play in our fantasy football league (he claims we're below him, or some such B.S.)

Unless the host of this show is in your fantasy football league, you ain't got squat against mine: 

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/live/player
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2011, 06:38:52 pm »
dude, we got brian wallace in our league.  TOP THAT.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »
if he wins . . . god, could you top the gloating that will proceed for, i'll take a year.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #523 on: September 12, 2011, 01:41:05 am »
Roethlisberger stunk up M&T bank stadium so bad, i could smell it all the way from here at my place in rockville.  grumble grumble...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #524 on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:58 am »
New Jersey Barebacks  80.20
Pigskin&Pigtails6949     80.80

seriously?  i think i should have gotten an extra point for janikowski's 63-yarder. 
<sig>