Author Topic: Viva La France!  (Read 10320 times)

alex

Re: Viva La France!
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »
It certainly didn't seem like a subjective argument when you used it to counter a point about poverty rates and the overall economy.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Thanks, but when I want an opinion on a country on something as subjective as "healthier, happier, and more attractive (which to me is in large part a reflection of the first two), I'll start by asking someone who has actually been there (preferably lived there), as opposed to someone who is prfoota.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  More proof that Americans are over-worked
i think what's even more interesting is how the 40 hour work week has been completely abandoned by so many in the private sector ... seems like if you want to be upwardly mobile, you need to work 60+ hours a week
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »
oh no!!! proven wrong again by another government working yuppie! damnit. how can i keep being so stupid.  

how about this one?

americans value money over time spent vacationing with loved ones.

discuss.

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:
  You want more?  A good resource on this topic is, "Who Really Cares" by Arthur Brooks.

god bless arthur brooks, a true american!

brennser

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »
good point Hoya....maybe its just living in DC but it constantly astounds me how so many people are completely defined by what they do, how hard they work, how little vacation they take.....I'm engaged in a more or less constant low level war of attrition with my boss because I like to take my vacations in 2 week chunks - you'd swear the world was about to end

I'm lucky that I generally only have to work 8 hour days and even with that I only get to see my kids for an hour or two each day after you factor in getting to and from work.......my neighborhood is filled with lawyers working 80 hour weeks and many of them have basically subcontracted out care of their kids to nannnies/au pairs etc

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

Originally posted by Jaguar:
  More proof that Americans are over-worked
i think what's even more interesting is how the 40 hour work week has been completely abandoned by so many in the private sector ... seems like if you want to be upwardly mobile, you need to work 60+ hours a week [/b]

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »
Well sure, if you count church tithing as charity.

More findings:

-Conservatives give about 30 percent more than liberals, even though on average conservative-headed families make slightly less money.

[/QB]
[/QB][/QUOTE]

vansmack

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  americans value money over time spent vacationing with loved ones.  
While this may be the prevailing thought on the East Coast, it is certainly not on the west coast.

My working time on the East Coast can be described as live to work (it's all about where you went to school, who you work for now, etc.).

My working time on the West Coast can be described as work to live (it's all about what you do after work - work is just the means to get there).

I live in a state that is happier than France and has a larger economy than France by itself.

If the French had a better work ethic we wouldn't have had to bail them out of two World Wars.  They can piss off.

Oh yeah, and our wine is better too.  There, I said it.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »
if you want whining, just mention 'france' around a republican
o/\o

brennser

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »
yeah, and also foreign remittances from immigrants to folks back home I believe make up a huge portion of US charity care

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Well sure, if you count church tithing as charity.

More findings:

-Conservatives give about 30 percent more than liberals, even though on average conservative-headed families make slightly less money.

[/b]
[/QB]

lagas

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »
Oh yeah, and our wine is better too. There, I said it.
Oh, it looks like you havent tried Chilean wine, specially a carmenere...mmm, thats a lot better than california or French wine...
zorra

Venerable Bede

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by lacroix:

Oh yeah, and our wine is better too. There, I said it.
Oh, it looks like you havent tried Chilean wine, specially a carmenere...mmm, thats a lot better than california or French wine... [/b]
what would you pair a carmenere with to bring out it's full flavor?  mass produced wine is mass produced wine. . .i'm just spoiled living here and being able to go to boutique and cult wineries where i can buy stuff that's not available in stores.

oh. . .california and chile have no match for a sauternes. . .
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »
 Oh, it looks like you havent tried Chilean wine, specially a carmenere...mmm, thats a lot better than california or French wine...
What in me saying CA wine is better than French wine would make you say that I haven't tried Chilean wine?

Very poor logic.
27>34

lagas

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »
What in me saying CA wine is better than French wine would make you say that I haven't tried Chilean wine?

Very poor logic.
Have you?, what do you think?

A wine that impress me very much was a Washington State wine, dont remember right now where exactly was from or the vineyard, but it was excellent, body, flavour and the taste that left afterward...
zorra

vansmack

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  oh. . .california and chile have no match for a sauternes. . .
If I wanted a sweet wine, I'd have a wine cooler or throw some vodka in the kool-aid.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »
  Have you?, what do you think?
Yes, and I find them some of the best bang for your buck wines on the market.  You can find some great prices on good Chilean wines because they're building a reputation (and, especially in Northern CA, competing with a seriously crowded market).
27>34