Author Topic: Viva La France!  (Read 10321 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Viva La France!
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by lacroix:

A wine that impress me very much was a Washington State wine, dont remember right now where exactly was from or the vineyard, but it was excellent, body, flavour and the taste that left afterward...
washington state makes a lovely riesling. . .you can just about choose any winery, and the riesling will be good.  i like columbia winery's cellarmasters riesling, but chateau ste. michelle's "eroica" is also very good.
OU812

lagas

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »
I have heard that Arizona has lovely wines also, have you guys tried one of those?
zorra

lagas

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »
Yes, and I find them some of the best bang for your buck wines on the market. You can find some great prices on good Chilean wines because they're building a reputation (and, especially in Northern CA, competing with a seriously crowded market).
I like your point of view, next time you are in town let me invite you a glass of wine   :D
zorra

Venerable Bede

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »
  I have heard that Arizona has lovely wines also, have you guys tried one of those?
nope, but i've got a bottle of colorado cab franc at home.
OU812

alex

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
haha, a government working yuppie?  first of all, my paychecks aren't signed by Uncle Sam; second of all, if by 'yuppie' you mean young upwardly mobile professional, I say thanks for the compliment (even though I actually live pretty modestly).

And Americans are free to value money over time spent vacationing with loved ones, or the other way around.  It's all in what you want to do, as long as you come up with the means to do it.  There isn't much point to you making another generalization like that.

Originally posted by le sonick:
  oh no!!! proven wrong again by another government working yuppie! damnit. how can i keep being so stupid.  

how about this one?

americans value money over time spent vacationing with loved ones.

discuss.

sonickteam2

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  if you want whining, just mention 'france' around a republican
do republicans hate france?

and in case anyone got this from my posts, i was in no way defending france in any way.  though i have my own unpopular (and apparently wrong) opinions on what makes a good country, France does not strike me as that country anyway!

alex

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »
Remittances add an additional $47 billion that is not included in charity or individual aid statistics.

Tithes were counted, though they do not make up a majority of the giving.  However, much of a tithe goes back into charity through the church, and those who tithe are also more likely to give to other charity outside of their church.

Originally posted by brennser:
  yeah, and also foreign remittances from immigrants to folks back home I believe make up a huge portion of US charity care

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Well sure, if you count church tithing as charity.

Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:

More findings:

-Conservatives give about 30 percent more than liberals, even though on average conservative-headed families make slightly less money.

[/b]
[/b]
[/QB]

vansmack

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
I went wine tasting in Sedona once, but that was before Venerable turned me into a wine-o so I can't really comment on the quality of the wines.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »
  haha, a government working yuppie?  first of all, my paychecks aren't signed by Uncle Sam; second of all, if by 'yuppie' you mean young upwardly mobile professional, I say thanks for the compliment (even though I actually live pretty modestly).

And Americans are free to value money over time spent vacationing with loved ones, or the other way around.  It's all in what you want to do, as long as you come up with the means to do it.  There isn't much point to you making another generalization like that.

oh no!!! proven wrong again by another government working yuppie! damnit. how can i keep being so stupid.  

how about this one?

discuss.
[/b]
but i like hearing your infinite wisdom!!!

haha

vansmack

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »
  do republicans hate france?

Politically, everybody hates France.
27>34

alex

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »
PS Republicans kind of like France at the moment thanks to the 53% that voted for Sarkozy over Royal.

PPS I am registered as a Republican, but I have NEVER jumped on any hate France bandwagon.  I'm just pointing out the facts on how their economy isn't so hot, and I don't want that to be repeated here.

sonickteam2

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2007, 02:27:00 pm »

I am registered as a Republican
NO!!!! what a shocker!!   :eek:

Venerable Bede

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

at one of the law firms i worked at in d.c., i was chastised because i used all 20 days of vacation time during a year.  it was a situation where an employee was given a set number of days that could be used for vacation and sick time, and the law firm was upset that i took it all as vacation.  

karma got back at me with the next law firm. . i had to take time off without pay for my honeymoon (i only got 6 days off the first year, and my wedding took up 3 weeks).
OU812

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  While this may be the prevailing thought on the East Coast, it is certainly not on the west coast.

My working time on the East Coast can be described as live to work (it's all about where you went to school, who you work for now, etc.).

My working time on the West Coast can be described as work to live (it's all about what you do after work - work is just the means to get there).

I live in a state that is happier than France and has a larger economy than France by itself.

If the French had a better work ethic we wouldn't have had to bail them out of two World Wars.  They can piss off.

Oh yeah, and our wine is better too.  There, I said it.
Did you only live in DC smackie? I felt like in DC it was all about work - 24/7.

Life in NYC for me is a totally different story. And it seems for most of my friends. Its all about working to live. I will add that most my friends aren't native New Yorkers and we come from all different countries and cities from around the world. A lot of us work 35 hour work weeks - yay! - and its all about what happens as soon as that clock hits 5:30.

Perhaps I still have mostly the cali girl in me, and always viewed work as just something i had to do to get by.  :)  i should add that im broke almost all the time here, because i do go out 24/7. and just like that - making plans to go see another band tonight!   :D
HeyLa

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  not surprising, since the US is the richest on earth and has a huge population.  percentage of income given might be better grounds for bragging rights (then again, richer you get, the more disposable income you have to give away).  but i'm certainly not knocking charitable giving in this country by individuals.
There are many on this very bboard who wish you would move to France...and tuit suite too!