Author Topic: Bike to Work Day  (Read 2817 times)

nkotb

Bike to Work Day
« on: May 17, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
It's tomorrow.  Anyone else participating?  Brennser?  Econo?  Chimbly (RIP)?

I signed up, but I might need to come home and walk the pooch during lunch, which means I'll have to drive.  Bummer.

brennser

Re: Bike to Work Day
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »
yeah, chimbley just fell of the face of the earth didn't she

I would bike to work tomorrow except I recently moved to a 4 day work week (its the Francophile in me I guess) and no longer work on Fridays....but I did bike a couple of times this week!

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:19:00 am »
Keep on pedalling, I drove to work in record time today.
xoxo

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:20:00 am »
No biking for me.  Have to walk the dog at lunch.  That's two years in a row I've been trying to get a free t-shirt.  Last year, I forgot my registration and they wouldn't give me one with out it   :mad:

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:23:00 am »
I'm in a fortunate position of being able, and inclined, to bike to work every day. Saves money and time, plus it's guaranteed exercise every day. My wife works in our neighborhood, so we only have to get gas every 4-6 weeks, if that.
oword

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:26:00 am »
my job doesn't allow me the luxury of getting to work any other way than by my own car. no public transportation...no bike... not even carpooling.
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
I'm in the same boat.  It used to be great; biking to work saved money, and my wife worked freelance, so more often than not, she took care of dog responsibilities.  Now that she's employed fulltime, it falls on me.  I'm only 3 miles away from home, but by the time I'd bike home, walk the dog, and bike back, my entire lunch would be gone.  

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I'm in a fortunate position of being able, and inclined, to bike to work every day. Saves money and time, plus it's guaranteed exercise every day. My wife works in our neighborhood, so we only have to get gas every 4-6 weeks, if that.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
We met some people who are a five minute car ride away from work and own a car, but choose to take the bike route to work each day, which is 90 mins each way. That's hardcore. Or stupid.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
i bike to work every day. unless its raining or if i have to work in the evening.

which i have to do tonight, so i drove in...bad sonick!

but at least i get to see Megadeth tonight!

Relaxer

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  We met some people who are a five minute car ride away from work and own a car, but choose to take the bike route to work each day, which is 90 mins each way. That's hardcore. Or stupid.
It takes 5 minutes to drive but 90 minutes to ride? Maybe they're not doing it right.

And if it's true, it is on the extreme side. But is it really "stupid" to choose exercise over sitting on your ass in a car? I guess that's your perspective.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 10:41:00 am »
Maybe, but wasting 3 hours biking rather than being at home seems a little silly to me.  But then again, I had a brutal commute until about 2 years ago, so the ability to be home quickly and spend time with my wife is pretty invaluable to me.  Not saying it's not to them or you, of course; it's just that after sitting in traffic on the beltway for hours before, the quicker I'm home, the better.

And Rhett, do they live at the bottom of a mountain?  How is it possible to have such a huge difference???

It takes 5 minutes to drive but 90 minutes to ride? Maybe they're not doing it right.

And if it's true, it is on the extreme side. But is it really "stupid" to choose exercise over sitting on your ass in a car? I guess that's your perspective. [/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
that doesn't make sense to me.  five minute car ride ~ 5 miles (estimate).  shouldn't take 90 minutes to cycle that.  further assumption: biking has to take a less direct route, 10 miles.  that's still a half-hour ride at a very non-competitive pace.  are these people really out of shape?  either your or my numbers are way off...
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

And if it's true, it is on the extreme side. But is it really "stupid" to choose exercise over sitting on your ass in a car? I guess that's your perspective. [/b]
well, time is money.  i think its stupid!!!! takes me 15 minutes to drive to work, 25 minutes to bike, 45 to walk...and i do all three depending on my day. if it took me 90 minutes to get to work, i'd quit!

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 10:45:00 am »
I think you're trying to be contrary.   ;)  

I think it has something to do with them being able to drive over the Wilson Bridge, but having to go wayyyyyy out of their way to take the bike route. So it's a three hour commute time per day compared to a ten minute commute time.

Also factor in that they do this every day, even during the winter time, and that the woman is many months pregant. I'm all for fitness, but they seem a little obsessive.

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 11:05:00 am »
  I think you're trying to be contrary.    ;)  

I think it has something to do with them being able to drive over the Wilson Bridge, but having to go wayyyyyy out of their way to take the bike route. So it's a three hour commute time per day compared to a ten minute commute time.

Also factor in that they do this every day, even during the winter time, and that the woman is many months pregant. I'm all for fitness, but they seem a little obsessive.

So let's get this straight. There's a woman who is many months pregnant and chooses every day to ride a bike three hours instead of driving 10 minutes? It's such an odd situation as to be almost... unbelievable. It's also surprising that the guy does it, but the pregnancy factor just pushes it a little too far.

I think for people who live and/or work in the city, biking to work would save a great deal of time. It takes me over half an hour to drive through town to get to work because of the traffic and lights. On a bike, it takes 10-15 minutes, and parking is free.
oword