Author Topic: Lollapalooza 2007 line up - post here  (Read 25905 times)

bnyced0

Re: Lollapalooza 2007 line up - post here
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2007, 09:34:00 am »
Originally posted by You go, Judge Alito:
  My flight is sometime around 7 AM.

First show I want to see for sure is Polyphonic Spree at 2:30, but check in at the hotel is not till 3.  I hope the hotel will hold my bag and not rifle through it.

Some questions:

How is Son Volt live these days?
 Daft Punk live or do the known-quantity of Ben Harper?
 For someone who's not a fan particularly of either,  Muse or Interpol?
 Tapes n' Tapes put on a good show?
Daft Punk is the only reason Lollapalooza is relevant this year, miss them at your soul's peril.

bearman🐻

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2007, 09:42:00 am »
I guess all I heard about Muse for the past couple of years is nothing but glowing praise, which of course is nice (especially for the band), but then it was almost like praise turned to hype, and the two are different. So after checking them out and really giving them a chance, I still feel like I can't listen to them without thinking about the Queen/Nirvana/Radiohead thing. And trust me, I can ignore the glaringly-obvoius influence factor thing all day, but with those guys their music just doesn't stick with me. But it's really a matter of personal taste and not an attack on the band or their fans. Shit, compared to how much crap there is out there, Muse is probably a breath of fresh air, but I just never get the urge to listen to them. Same thing with Bloc Party.

themaestro

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2007, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I have seen Muse twice...at first I kind of thought they were cool, then just realized that they sound like a hybrid of Queen, Nirvana and Radiohead all rolled into one. I'm probably one of the few people here that thinks they're totally overrated.
No, you're not.  I pretty much can't stand them.  But I also don't normally feel the need to slag off on bands that other people seem to be religious about on here.  Even in cases where it is so well deserved (Muse, Winehouse).  

But you definitely aren't alone.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2007, 10:36:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
 I'm shocked they're playing this arena tour in the fall, and curious whether there will be any sell outs.  I must live in a black hole because I can't imagine how they could have a fan base here large enough to play arenas.  Is this an off shoot of MCR tour they did.  I don't listen to the radio so I don't know if they're played there or have videos or whatever but one thing is undebatable IMO is that in a festival setting there are few better.
dunno if you had a look at TM recently, but the only tickets left for the patriot center show are crappy.  the floor is sold out, i'd say less than 25% of the tickets are still available... chances of sellouts are high, IMO.  they do have a hit on the radio and video channels, "starlight", which has brought them a lot of mainstream exposure.  i'm sure the MCR exposure hasn't hurt either.  i'll be seeing them twice that week - at lolla and at the patriot center.  can't wait.
<sig>

bnyced0

« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
 [/qb]
dunno if you had a look at TM recently, but the only tickets left for the patriot center show are crappy.  the floor is sold out, i'd say less than 25% of the tickets are still available... chances of sellouts are high, IMO.  they do have a hit on the radio and video channels, "starlight", which has brought them a lot of mainstream exposure.  i'm sure the MCR exposure hasn't hurt either.  i'll be seeing them twice that week - at lolla and at the patriot center.  can't wait. [/QB][/QUOTE]

No I haven't looked at Ticketmaster, I'm going to the Philly show and it's all GA and the smallest venue on the tour so a sell out wouldn't shock me.  But I am in danger of Muse burn out.  Already seen two festival headline sets in the last month, with two more festivals upcoming along with a headline solo gig.  I'm not a Muse zealot it just kind of worked out this way, and fortunately the sets aren't merely by the numbers...while they're not drastically different they are diverse enough to avoid complete predictability and boredom.

Summerteeth

« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

My flight is sometime around 7 AM.

First show I want to see for sure is Polyphonic Spree at 2:30, but check in at the hotel is not till 3.  I hope the hotel will hold my bag and not rifle through it.

Some questions:

How is Son Volt live these days?
 Daft Punk live or do the known-quantity of Ben Harper?
 For someone who's not a fan particularly of either,  Muse or Interpol?
 Tapes n' Tapes put on a good show?
Daft Punk is the only reason Lollapalooza is relevant this year, miss them at your soul's peril. [/b]
Lolla is relevant, if nothing else because its PJ's only US show this year.

I'm a pretty big indie nerd, hence my interest in seeing Daft Punk after all these years, but don't forget about Pearl Jam.  There's a lot more to them than just Ten, which is all to which most of the indie crowd seems to associate them.

bnyced0

« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

Daft Punk is the only reason Lollapalooza is relevant this year, miss them at your soul's peril. [/b]
Lolla is relevant, if nothing else because its PJ's only US show this year.

I'm a pretty big indie nerd, hence my interest in seeing Daft Punk after all these years, but don't forget about Pearl Jam.  There's a lot more to them than just Ten, which is all to which most of the indie crowd seems to associate them. [/b]
Key note, only US tour date...and just by a smidge saw them in Hawaii in December.  I'm seeing them at a couple of other places so not that big a highlight for me to the point I'm leaving Sunday to come back for V fest.  But for those Pearl Jam heads I apologize if I disrespected their appearance, but I stand by Daft Punk is what differentiates this festival from most others even if they are playing other dates in the US.  This may be Pearl Jams only US appearance this year, but Daft Punk only comes out of hibernation for live dates a couple of times a decade, the last 20 months the great exception but even then they've probably only played a little over a dozen shows in that time.  They are rare, and wonderful.  Pearl Jam is just wonderful.

TheDirector217

« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »
  Key note, only US tour date...and just by a smidge saw them in Hawaii in December . . . This may be Pearl Jams only US appearance this year, but Daft Punk only comes out of hibernation for live dates a couple of times a decade . . . They are rare, and wonderful.  Pearl Jam is just wonderful.
I second that.  Hawaii (no need to discuss the other great & wonderous powerhouse band that was there    :D   ) was my first time seeing Pearl Jam.  When they ended with "Baba O' Riley/Teenage Wasteland" I went APE. SHIT.  I'd heard a lotta hype about Pearl Jam's shows, and I must say they lived up to it.  I didn't expect them to have, say, Mike McCready playing the guitar behind his head. I figured they'd just come out, rock hard, & bounce.  But I love "rock star antics", so it was all good with me.  But I digress . . . .

Here is my key question, (bnyced0, S Dot Cell, I may be lookin at people like you here) though.  I wouldn't call myself a big dance/electronica fan.  There's songs I enjoy, but that's neither here nor there.  However, I think Daft Punk's nothing short of the shit.  Their catalog is DUMB hot.  And from what I've gathered from people here on the board, it's beyond just a really good show.  To hear you all tell it, it's some borderline life-altering shit.  I checked their tour schedule, and it seems that the only place around here that's convenient to my life is the show in BK on August 9th.  I know I'll still be spent from VFest though.  So, I say all that to say this:  Should I just say fuck it and toss caution to the wind???  Are they really that good????

Vas Deferens

« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »
check youtube (daft punk coachella) and decide for yourself  :)

Originally posted by TheDirector217:
  Are they really that good????
(_|_)

bnyced0

« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust aka j. marshmallow:
  check youtube (daft punk coachella) and decide for yourself   :)  

Are they really that good????
[/b]
Encouraging people to go beyond their limits for yet another live concert high isn't my intention, but yeah they are that good.  

But let's keep this in context to fair, I've never seen them totally sober, or when they weren't a headliner at the end of an otherwise already great evening of music.  

The one club appearance I saw was in the 90s, again reference the above state of mind.  

So I guess I would only caution, being super exhausted, a week day show that requires significant travel to/from on the same day, and a show where there's no substantial foreplay before they hit the stage may not give the same impression.  

OK so there are the disclaimers, but if you catch DP in the right frame of mind they'll take you over the edge to a new place...not sure if the Youtube video can do that justice, seems like there's a better google video version of the entire Coachella show, that is mesmerizing even if it's just on the computer screen.  

The last time I saw them was November in Argentina, and I dragged some doubters and they left worshipping at the DP altar.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »
what they said... just do it.  high-quality google video  here.
<sig>

TheDirector217

« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  what they said... just do it.  high-quality google video  here.
Fuck it.  Y'all convinced me.  I'm in. All that's left are bowl tickets, & I want field ones.  Anybody else coming up to BK with me????  I now see the light . . .   :D

vansmack

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »
   When they ended with "Baba O' Riley/Teenage Wasteland" I went APE. SHIT.
Here's my question:  are Pearl Jam actually playing the Pete Townshend song/version "Teenage Wasteland" or are people still mistakenly referring to The Who's "Baba O'Riley" as "Teenage Wasteland"?  Just a pet peeve of mine - they are two different songs!  Though the songs have similar lyrics, they are remarkably different when played/performed.
27>34

TheDirector217

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

When they ended with "Baba O' Riley/Teenage Wasteland" I went APE. SHIT.
Here's my question:  are Pearl Jam actually playing the Pete Townshend song/version "Teenage Wasteland" or are people still mistakenly referring to The Who's "Baba O'Riley" as "Teenage Wasteland"?  Just a pet peeve of mine - they are two different songs!  Though the songs have similar lyrics, they are remarkably different when played/performed. [/b]
I simply refer to said track by both names, because unfortunately some individuals are not familiar with the power & greatness of the Who.  For a cultured listener as yourself, Smackie    :D  , the song in question which was performed was "Baba O' Riley".  

P.S. Saw The Police at Bonnaroo this weekend, and they DEFINITELY didn't suck.  I ain't finnin' to jump out there on some outlandish hyperbole shit like it was the greatest show I've ever seen, but in the same token, I was quite pleased.  I will provide details in the Bonnaroo thread sometime later tonight/tomorrow morning.

vansmack

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »
  P.S. Saw The Police at Bonnaroo this weekend, and they DEFINITELY didn't suck.  
Happy for you, man.
27>34