Author Topic: Suede Reforms  (Read 4343 times)

ratioci nation

Suede Reforms
« on: October 11, 2004, 10:09:00 am »
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/music/story.jsp?story=570844

Feuding stars hiss and make up to re-form legendary Suede
 Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler resolve one of the most bitter disputes in pop. Anthony Barnes reports
 11 October 2004
 It was one of the most acrimonious splits in rock. As Britpop idols Suede teetered on the edge of greatness, the hate-filled relationship between singer Brett Anderson and guitarist Bernard Butler finally collapsed.

The guitarist stormed out, and although Suede soldiered on before its eventual demise, its musical soul was ripped out. Now, after a decade-long rift, fans will get the chance to see what might have been as Anderson and Butler put their animosity behind them to record again.

They join a long list of great rock reunions which has seen acts as diverse as Duran Duran and Simon and Garfunkel teaming up once more.

The one-time scourge of the establishment the Sex Pistols have twice re-formed their original line-up. Fleetwood Mac, the Velvet Underground, Blondie and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant have also buried their differences after years apart to reunite sporadically.

The return of Butler and Anderson will be seen by some as a shameless cash-in. The recent revival of Boston band Pixies, another group torn apart by infighting, has shown the value of putting aside differences with their recent tour expected to generate around £8m.

Others will see the return of the foppish Suede stars as a glorious attempt to pick up the pieces. While the origin of Butler and Anderson's dispute remains shrouded in mystery, there is no doubting its ferocity. The band will forever be associated with back-stage rows and studio bust-ups.

The differences are thought to have been patched up after Suede finally dissolved last year following the failure of their fifth LP, A New Morning.

They recruited a bass player and drummer, spent the summer in a recording studio and recorded more than a dozen songs to be released on an album early next year. A spokesman for the duo was keeping tight-lipped about the project but confirmed the music he had heard was "excellent". "Brett and Bernard are making a record and it's wonderful. It's 10 years since Bernard left the band but now everything is as it should be," he added.

Anderson has said of the sessions: "My drive, direction and focus, which became clouded towards the end of my work with Suede, are all back with a vengeance and both me and Bernard are excited about being back in the game."

Suede, who were managed in an early incarnation by the comic Ricky Gervais, won huge acclaim for their Bowie-like guitar rock, coupled with an androgynous image. Butler quit after the recording of second album Dog Man Star in 1994, reckoned to be their masterpiece and while later releases sold well, they were felt to pale in comparison. Butler scored a top 10 hit with the singer David McAlmont the following year but rarely troubled the chart again.

Mojo deputy editor Andrew Male said: "In a way it's like ex-lovers who go on to have a series of other disastrous relationships and then they eventually get back together to get that passion, that fire back. You get bands who split because of musical differences but with Brett and Bernard it was because they grew to hate each other.

"There is a curiosity among the fans to see if they can still do what they once did and the Pixies are a good example of where it has worked. I'm not sure that Suede have that same cultural cachet."

Medusa

Re: Suede Reforms
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 02:49:00 pm »
This is very exciting, especially for me as I prefer earlier Suede to later Suede.

Can't wait to hear what this collaboration yields!

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

aniym

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 08:42:00 pm »
wow, that's great news. I loved their first album, and Dog Man Star's starting to grow on me too..but wait. The only way I will listen to the new Suede is if and ONLY if brett can get his high-pitched squeals back. Geez, did anybody hear him on A New Morning? Sonics-wise, the album wasn't abysmal, but the vocals (brett going for a less over-the-top pitch is just wrong) totally turned me off.

Oh, and I loved 'coming up'. Beautiful ones is one of my favourite suede tracks. There, I said it. The indie kids can crucify me over this, but i don't care.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:36:00 am »
I saw the first lineup of Suede back at the Radio Music Hall...it was a good show too. Funny thing is that more people showed up for the openers (Counting Crows and the cranberries).

Medusa

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
 I saw the first lineup of Suede back at the Radio Music Hall...it was a good show too. Funny thing is that more people showed up for the openers (Counting Crows and the cranberries).
I was there too! (sigh)  What a long time ago that was ...

And yes, I also noticed that after the opening acts, a lot of people had left.

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

suede

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 06:02:00 pm »
not much to add here, except i feel an obligation to weigh in.  this is actually relatively old news as it was made public several months ago.  i hear they may play a couple low key dates in december in london and i'm hopeful (though not overly optimistic) that the new record will be on par with suede/DMS.

www.bernardbutler.com has some pixs of them in the studio and is a good source for what's going on.

suede

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
New Info:

Brett & Bernards new band are called THE TEARS.

They have a new website at www.thetears.org  (just a forum so far)

Line up:

Brett Anderson (vocals)
 Bernard Butler (guitar)
 Nathan Fisher (bass)
 Mako Sakamoto (drums)

Label:  Independiente

There will be a article in next weeks NME about them (you can see it
 scanned in at the tears forum)

http://thetears.org/bbNME.jpg

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
I saw that she is playing Birchmere, March 5.

suede

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
She does a great version of Animal Nitrate.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »
seems like a good place to post this:

Suede to Reunite for Benefit Show
http://pitchfork.com/news/37599-suede-to-reunite-for-benefit-show/

search function FTW
<sig>

RustyOrgan

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »
A Suede reunion doesn't count unless it's the lineup from the first two albums - Everything Coming Up onwards if fuck all terrible

hutch

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »
A Suede reunion doesn't count unless it's the lineup from the first two albums - Everything Coming Up onwards if fuck all terrible

Just not true and a sad common misconception. I agree with Erlewine:

Brett Anderson carried on after Bernard Butler's departure, adding a teenage guitarist and restructuring the intent of Suede, if not the sound, for their third album, Coming Up. The most striking thing about Coming Up is the simplicity. Gone are the grand, sweeping gestures of both Suede and Dog Man Star, leaving behind the glam, which is now spiked with an invigorating sense of self-belief -- Anderson is out to prove that he's a survivor, and he does give a damn whether you believe he is or not. So Coming Up has none of the lush, melancholy, and paranoid overtones of Dog Man Star. It's about celebrating being young, going out, taking drugs, having sex, and living life. And it sounds just like it reads -- Richard Oakes pounds out fizzy, fuzzy guitar riffs while the rhythm section lays back with dirty, sexy grooves and new keyboardist Neil Godling exudes a sultry, unattainable cool. Even on the wistful ballads "By the Sea" and "Picnic by the Motorway," there's none of the enveloping melancholy that consumed Dog Man Star -- they're as optimistic as the buoyant, melodic rockers that comprise the rest of the album. As a statement of purpose, Coming Up is unimpeachable. Though it doesn't break any new ground for the band -- unless you count the newfound sense of optimism -- it's a remarkable consolidation and crystallization of Suede's talents and all the evidence anyone needs that Brett Anderson was always the guiding force behind the band.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:40:28 pm by hutch »

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 03:43:36 pm »
I agree with that.
Coming Up was kind of like Suede 101, with none of the dramatic symphonics of DMS.
The debut is a stone classic for me, but DMS did nothing for me.
Coming Up was like, oh yeah, these guys can rock. And Picnic By the Motorway is a weirdly great (greatly weird?) song.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:51:28 pm »
It looks to me like she needs to reform her body size. And her hairstyle. (that's her in the middle)

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 06:26:15 pm »
oword