Author Topic: Science Question for Moslems  (Read 1387 times)

Science Question for Moslems
« on: October 11, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »
When you pray to Mecca, you're supposed orient yourself in the actual direction of true Mecca (sort of like true north).  That's a given.

My question:  Do the prayers follow the curvature of the globe...or do they go in a straight line through the Earth's crust?

piglit

Re: Science Question for Moslems
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 10:11:00 am »
Well, since nobody has addressed this complex and interesting query, I will attemt to resolve for you...

Under current Workmen's Compensation (WC)guidelines, all costs related to the treatment of your workplace injury will be covered by your WC carrier.

OK then.
 -piga

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:25:00 am »
So then if the prayers DID follow the curvature of the Earth, a devotee could orient 180º away from Mecca and still achieve the same result?

Sir HC

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
Should the path be the "shortest" to mecca?  What point on the planet is the exact opposite point from mecca?  I guess there they can face any direction.

I would think that it is determined by the mosque, otherwise using great circles you could get some pretty odd directions to pray and be pointing to mecca.

nakzdelishiss

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:17:00 pm »
you just pray in the general direction which from all of the usa is east. its not really about being exactly correct, its about praying lol.

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:09:00 am »
Okay, then when in Mecca, which direction do you face? Especially if you are in the center of Mecca? Is that why you sometimes see them walking around in some kind of prayer circles?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 08:57:00 am »
I made my millions by marketing key-chain compasses to muslims.