Author Topic: Fort Reno  (Read 14965 times)

anarchist

Re: Fort Reno
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »
you can smoke weed under the stage while the show is going on.  nobody will see you.

tigersscareme

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »
hey also:
 please note, the first band to play this summer is the boom orangutangs....not the boom orangutans.
 they're here:http://www.myspace.com/theboomorangutangs

there seems to be some confusion (there are, infact at least three bands named some variation of the boom orangutan/gs....must be something in the water)

anyhow, before we get more angry letters about how we're letting someone from louisville play, we're not.
 they're young. they have actually written a song about fort reno. and we love them.

besides, if i could import someone from louisville, i'd try for Rodan. I mean, c'mon. dream big people.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 12:55:00 am »
Yeah...I have a question.

And this is not meant to degrade and is not phrased with the least bit of snobbishness, as I love Fort Reno to death and come to every show.

BUT

I am wondering, I have been wondering, many others are wondering why, year after year, great DC bands with great fanbases who play great shows at the Cat and the Warehouse and 9:30 and St. Stephens who are great folk and greatly talented...are turned down.  It seems that year after year, some of the most talented acts in this city - some of which employ slightly poppier sounds, and some of which do not - are turned down.  Yet, they are booking sold-out headlining shows every other month at the Black Cat.  

One would find it very curious that bands like Washington Social Club and Exit Clov are shot down year after year.  Yet, last year, Georgie James (who are similarly poppy) got a slot.  One would find it even more curious that bands like Washington Social Club and Exit Clov are playing bigger shows to more people than bands like Georgie James and have been around longer.  Not to knock GJ.

Jumping to conclusions, one would suggest an apparent air of "Dischord Bias," yet we all love Dischord and love what everybody stands for.  And we assume that here in DC we have a very supportive community of music, and encourage all different sub-genres to thrive and do their things.  We are, after all, non-discriminatory, right?

Sorry, but somebody was going to say it soon enough...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 02:13:00 am »
not to speak for Tigers, but I think the point of Fort Reno, with the exception of a couple of shows meant to draw attention to the overall program, is to showcase new/little known bands... not the bands that can get a gig at the Cat at the snap of their fingers...
_\|/_

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 05:06:00 am »
I do agree with that to an extent, and think it is a great.  But it certainly is not true with the exception of a couple of shows.  Plenty of the bands that play Fort Reno are able to get those gigs, and do...

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  not to speak for Tigers, but I think the point of Fort Reno, with the exception of a couple of shows meant to draw attention to the overall program, is to showcase new/little known bands... not the bands that can get a gig at the Cat at the snap of their fingers...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
I agree with Doom, but at the same time I don't think WSC or Exit Clov have _ever_ played Fort Reno.  Even when they were playing places like the Velvet Lounge and The Warehouse Next Door.  They were always shot-down.

It just seems a little odd that some bands that slowly build-up followings over the years have to beg and beg (only to get denied), while other bands with only a few shows under their belt and no records out have no problem getting a slot.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
Its just that bands like WSC have been trying since they were first starting off in DC.  Marty told me they got shot down four years in a row.  They haven't even sent in a demo the last two years.  He was reluctant about even sending in a demo of his solo stuff for consideration this year (www.myspace.com/martinroylemusic) because of the vibe he's gotten from them in the past.  

I understand it is a lot about showcasing young talent, but the SAME young talent seems to be getting showcased every summer.  This schedule looks almost identical to last year's.  And some of the bands that are getting repeat slots really really underwhelmed me.  Give some other unknown bands a chance.  I would like to see some pop music love.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 11:47:00 am »
Well I guess this would not be the first time allegations of Dischord cliquiness have been leveled...
_\|/_

azaghal1981

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by tigers scare me:
  besides, if i could import someone from louisville, i'd try for Rodan. I mean, c'mon. dream big people.
Or Slint.  :)
احمد

Sir HC

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 11:58:00 am »
Wow, I thought that the stage was close to being plywood to the ground.  That thing scared me for years.  Have they ever upgraded the power there or is it still that super-scary box?

Do they still do Shakespeare in the park there?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:00 am »
http://www.fortreno.com/schedule.html

Monday, June 15th
 Mass Movement of the Moth, Deleted Scenes, The Boom Orangutangs

Thursday, June 21st
 The Hard Tomorrows, Let's French, The Mirror Script

Monday, June 25th
 LeJeune, Pup Tent, Engine Room

Thursday, July 2nd
 Mess Up the Mess, The Sentiment, Julie Ocean

Monday, July 2nd
 The Evens, Joe Lally

Thursday, July 5th
 Max Levine Ensemble, TBA, Sonic Survivor

Monday, July 9th
 Greenland, Statehood, Kitty Hawk

Thursday, July 12th
 Mary Timony, Medications, The Charm Offensive

Monday, July 16th
 Caribbean, Len Bias, The Ardennes

Thursday, July 19th
 Beauty Pill, Carol Bui, The Alphabetical Order

Monday, July 23rd
 Meredith Bragg, TBA, The Andaulsians

Thursday, July 26th
 Antelope, The Omega Band, Scanner Freaks

Monday, July 30th
 TBA

Thursday, August 2nd
 The Aquarium, Benjy Ferree, Yell County

Monday, August 6th
 TBA, TBA, Shapes Not Sounds

Thursday, August 9th
 Brandon Butler, TBA, Baby Killer Estelle

Monday, August 13th
 TBA, Perfect Souvenir, TBA

Thursday, August 16th
 Edie Sedgwick, Sentai, TBA

thirsty moore

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:00 am »
Top.

Who's going tonight?

nkotb

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007, 11:03:00 am »
You going?  I'm considering bringing the pooch, although I'm still exhausted from the weekend.  Still, I might make an appearance.

Originally posted by econo:
  Top.

Who's going tonight?

thirsty moore

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
Yes, I would like to check out Mass Movement of the Moth.  Also, I think bringing the dawg might be a requirement.

tigersscareme

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »
yes! please bring dogs!!

please bring a leash 'tho too.

you could get fined for not leashing your pooch...i'm just say'n if you see park police, throw a leash on your dog.

they asked us to remind people. i hate the list of reminders we have to keep harping about but it's a small price to pay i think.

(also, we are *not* the ones who would fine you...i'm just passing the info along)