Author Topic: The Camper Van Beethovens  (Read 5271 times)

J'Mal

Re: The Camper Van Beethovens
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 10:19:00 am »
It took them a while to find their groove, opened with somewhat low energy "all her favorite fruit" and "sweethearts," I thought they didn't quite get there until "eye of fatima."  From there, they clicked much better and it rocked...  played about two hours.  Overall not as great as the last two appearances, which just, I dunno, had something extra, but still an excellent show and well worth the $.  They did ALOT from beloved revolutionary sweetheart.  The new material was pretty good, too.....

since rhett wasn't there, nobody got hurt. not even in the mosh pit.

this was also a rare show where both openers were good.  the gaskets were OK, could've been more fun if they'd played their electronic stuff to more than 5 people.  the damnwells were VERY impressive...  I'm not the resident board expert on alt-country but i'd see them again...

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 10:30:00 am »
i have seen the lead singer of the damnwells solo once, and the damnwells once, both were painful, surprised to hear someone say they were good, maybe they have good new material or something

sleeping_bag

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 06:52:00 pm »
Camper Van Beethoven
 October 12, 2004
 930 Club
 Washington DC

schoeps mk4v > vms02ib > modSBM > d8

All Her Favorite Fruit
 Everything Is Fine
 instrumental
 Tania
 Eye Of Fatima pt. 1
 Eye Of Fatima pt. 2
 51-7
 Militia Song
 instrumental
 Might Makes Right
 White Riot (The Clash)
 I Was So Wasted
 Shut Us Down
 The History of Utah
 That Gum You Like Is Back In Style
 Take The Skinheads Bowling
 The Day That Lassie Went To The Moon
 Club Med Sucks
 Pictures of Matchstick Men (status Quo)
 Sad Lover's Waltz
 Tina
 Ambiguity Song
 Hippy Chix
 instrumental

encore:
 instrumental
 She Divines Water
 One of These Days
 Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd)

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 09:10:00 pm »
Trust me, they don't. That this band exists is proof that there are too many people making "music".

Originally posted by pollard:
  i have seen the lead singer of the damnwells solo once, and the damnwells once, both were painful, surprised to hear someone say they were good, maybe they have good new material or something

eilo97

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 10:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Trust me, they don't. That this band exists is proof that there are too many people making "music".

[/b]
i completely disagree.  the damnwells are extremely talented musicians, as well as some of the nicest, most down to earth people i've ever encountered.  of course i respect your opinions; everyone reacts differently to music.  but please, please.  make sure you've given them a real chance before you write them off completely.  it's only fair.

sleeping_bag

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 11:53:00 pm »
personally i was kinda bored by the damnwells but what i saw of the gaskets was more entertaining than i was prepared for!

MiloGTC

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 02:45:00 am »
sleeping_bag: thanks for the setlist. I wasn't there and so can't ID most of the instrumentals from context alone, but the one after "Militia Song" is almost definitely "R 'n' R Uzbekistan" (which follows it on the new record) and the second song of the set is "Sweethearts."

Guiny

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 08:43:00 am »
I thought their new songs were quite good. Suprising for me, cause I usually go for the old stuff with most bands.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 09:06:00 am »
Like Pollard, I've seen them three times. I've also heard their songs on KEXP. How much more of a chance do we need to give them?

And I'm amazed that anyone would call them "alt-country". They sound like a Goo Goo Dolls type mainstream rock band to me. I guess if you're into that type of music, then true enough, they are talented musicians. But if, like me, you find that sort of stuff simultaneously cheesy and grating, you're going to have the same reaction Pollard and I had, no matter how nice and talented the band members are.

Originally posted by eilo97:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

[/b]
i completely disagree.  the damnwells are extremely talented musicians, as well as some of the nicest, most down to earth people i've ever encountered.  of course i respect your opinions; everyone reacts differently to music.  but please, please.  make sure you've given them a real chance before you write them off completely.  it's only fair. [/b]

Guiny

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
I actually didnt find them alt country at all. But if thats what they are labeled now....then what can I do?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
i'm with pollard and rhett on the dammwells, C- middle of the road bar rock.  they are other bands that do this much better.
T.Rex

J'Mal

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
goo goo dolls?  the damnwells sounded nothing like those lamers.