Author Topic: The Camper Van Beethovens  (Read 5270 times)

Tom Cashel

The Camper Van Beethovens
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
Is anyone going to see the Camper Van Beethovens tonight?

Are they good? Should I go?

ratioci nation

Re: The Camper Van Beethovens
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 01:54:00 pm »
I like their recorded material, but I found their show last year boring.  But others, Jmal?, really loved it I think.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
I don't need another scar on my face.

twangirl

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
They put on a great show last time they were here in January 2003. Played all my favorites, it was just like old times.

Random Citizen

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
You can always check them out at Olsson's Dupont Circle tonight (6pm) and then decide to see their live set.

Tom Cashel

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
???

I haven't heard the story.

Guiny

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 02:10:00 pm »
I'm gonna check them out for the first time.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 02:23:00 pm »
Have you heard the one about the blue haired girl who hooked me up with Pixies tickets?

To make a long story short, some redneck (who was unprovoked) once gave my forehead an introduction to his Miller Lite bottle at a Cracker/Camper show, sending me to Howard to wait 7 hours to get stitched up.

Originally posted by Tom Cashel:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
???

I haven't heard the story. [/b]

J'Mal

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
GOING!!!  I am so psyched for this show....

Camper was one of the More Important College/Indie bands in the mid-80s....  their material has held up extremely well.  You should get "cigarettes and carrot juice," which is the box set of all their old indie otherwise out of print albums, i think it's only 30 bucks or so.... as well as their two big label albums, "my beloved revolutionary sweetheart" and "key lime pie."

their show last year was great.  so was the camper/cracker show from 2000....  i saw them back in the day in high skool....  they've still got it.

MiloGTC

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 06:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  You should get "cigarettes and carrot juice," which is the box set of all their old indie otherwise out of print albums,
not out of print anymore - four of the five albums included in that box have since been (re)released as individual cds, padded with bonus tracks that weren't included in the box set. (the fifth disc of the box is a live cd made up of songs from their two major label albums, which *are* now out of print, I think...)

I think the only CVB record anyone *needs* to own is "Telephone Free Landslide Victory," although the new one is pretty good, too...

they're also playing at Record & Tape Traders in Towson tomorrow (Wed) night at 6. since they aren't playing another show that night, I'm guessing it'll be a somewhat longer set than in-store performances generally are, but who knows?

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 07:24:00 pm »
i thought CVB were great last year, so i'll be there again, though this time i will be working.

i think "key lime pie" is pretty essential.

Guiny

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 08:33:00 am »
Well, I must say, I was quite impressed with CVB last night. That was a great time. I went in knowing only one song but left thinking I got my money's worth. Now hopefully PJ will do the same tonight.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 09:13:00 am »
I wish you guys had told me they were playing for free at Ollsons earlier in the evening. It would have been worth the price of admission.

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 09:46:00 am »
Looks like someone mentioned it Rhett, unless you have to pay admission into Olsson's.

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  You can always check them out at Olsson's Dupont Circle tonight (6pm) and then decide to see their live set.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
oops guess i was too busy smashing Billy Corrigan yesterday.

Originally posted by econo:
  Looks like someone mentioned it Rhett, unless you have to pay admission into Olsson's.

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
[/b]