Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306251 times)

James Ford

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #345 on: September 30, 2014, 01:51:20 pm »
I just get the four basic networks on my TV.

But there are two or three different "versions" of the channel. Like when some sports show was preempted by local programming, I switched to the second version of the channel, and found my sporting event there.

Is FS1 the second "version" of Fox, and I'll find baseball games only, or am I SOL because I don't have cable?

vansmack

« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
or am I SOL because I don't have cable?

This one.  FS1 is a cable tier channel.
27>34

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »
Thanks, Angelos.

He had nothing to do with it, and I'm no defender of Angelos.

TBS spent a fortune on the AL Playoff TV Contract thinking they'd get the Red Sox and/or the Yankees and all the ad revenue that comes with it.

Just a joke about Nats' fans persecution complex over MASN vs MASN2.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »
Is FS1 the second "version" of Fox, and I'll find baseball games only, or am I SOL because I don't have cable?
To extrapolate on Smack's answer, the other major networks decided ABC/ESPN had a cable sports monopoly long enough and have started their own rival cable networks with Sportscenter-type programming and live games: NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Net, and FS1 and FS2.

NBC Sports Net used to be called Vs and Outdoor Life, and its claim to fame is Premier League Soccer and NHL. FS1 has PST/MST college football and MLB baseball. (FS2 is highly limited and is what used to be Speed Network). CBS Sports is bringing up the rear with college sports that no one else wants to televise. And Jim rome, I guess.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
Jim Rome also has random commercials that air on CBS Radio stations [like 106.7 The Fan here in DC] and those 30 seconds are always fucking terrible. Why would any network want that asshole?
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »
Jim Rome also has random commercials that air on CBS Radio stations [like 106.7 The Fan here in DC] and those 30 seconds are always fucking terrible. Why would any network want that asshole?
Its not my sort of thing but his ratings speak for themselves, I guess. Hell, one of our all-time posters here has a Rome reference as their nickname...
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
I think I have them all except FS2 and BeIN (which I may have to remedy but I'm so down on soccer after the World Cup final that I dont' care to watch much soccer.. what is the point of watching Messi score 5 against Elche or some other worthless team when he couldn't get it done against Germany? FS2 would be cool though , I think, for the Champions League)

vansmack

« Reply #352 on: September 30, 2014, 06:26:22 pm »
one of our all-time posters here has a Rome reference as their nickname...

Close.  My nickname comes from a combination of my favorite player growing up (Andy Van Slyke) and my penchant for talking trash while playing sports as a kid.   I actually had the nickname before Rome and sold him (or his parent company) my AOL account back in the day.  I promptly signed up for an MSN account with the same moniker.

I rarely listen to Rome, except when my I know my friend Silk brah is going to be on.  The radio personality I am friends with is Matt "Money" Smith, who is syndicated though I'm not sure if he's in your area, and also has a Fantasy Football show on the NFL Network.  I prefer his wit to Rome's shtick.

Just a joke about Nats' fans persecution complex over MASN vs MASN2.

Gotcha.  Missed that...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:29:38 pm by vansmack »
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2014, 06:35:39 pm »
My wife will be happy with this news.

or am I SOL because I don't have cable?

This one.  FS1 is a cable tier channel.

« Reply #354 on: September 30, 2014, 06:37:52 pm »
Jay Mohr is about the only radio guy I'd claim to like. I virtually never listen to sports radio though. I have heard Matt Smith guesting on another show, I think.

That's funny you sold Rome your AOL account. Classic. That story, does not suck. Sold an AOL account. Classic. You crack me up. Strong take. That is how it's done.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:40:26 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #355 on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »
80% of my time in the car is spent listening the Economist, read to me word for word by British people.
Then about 10% live sports (East Coast/Midwest Angels games from MLB radio).
Then about 7% SiriusXM.
Then about 3% tech podcasts.

That's funny you sold Rome your AOL account. Classic. That story, does not suck. Sold an AOL account. Classic. You crack me up. Strong take. That is how it's done.

Nicely done.
27>34

« Reply #356 on: September 30, 2014, 06:46:12 pm »
80% of my time in the car is spent listening the Economist, read to me word for word by British people.
Uh, where are you getting that? I'm fairly certain I'm not getting a podcast of it with my print+digital subscription.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2014, 06:47:23 pm »
Uh, where are you getting that? I'm fairly certain I'm not getting a podcast of it with my print+digital subscription.

http://www.economist.com/audio-edition

[EDIT] I decided to take out the snark as you may have been banned at the time. I discussed this some time ago as the ONLY way I can keep up.

I just changed your life. 4EVAH
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:49:35 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2014, 06:49:51 pm »

http://www.economist.com/audio-edition

Where have you been?  I discussed this some time ago as the ONLY way I can keep up.
Oh my. I should probably unblock their weekly emails as I'm missing things. Now if only The New Yorker, Harpers, The Paris Review, and n+1 would follow suit...
LVMH

stevewizzle