Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306349 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #495 on: October 31, 2014, 09:55:32 am »
Wasn't that the plan?
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #496 on: October 31, 2014, 11:04:51 am »
Does this mean they are moving Zim to first?

Yep.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #497 on: November 04, 2014, 05:30:06 pm »
Andrew (NY) [via mobile]

Are you surprised by mike rizzos strange unwillingness to lock up the nats collection of phenomenal young players? Rendon....Harper....Strasburg....JZimm....Desmond......I feel like if this was another GM, at least half those guys would've signed cheap extensions early on. Are we looking at a mass exodus over next 2 years?

David Schoenfield  (1:47 PM)

Good question. I don't have a good answer. A Nationals beat guy who is more connected would know, but I guess I can only suggest this: How many of those are Scott Boras clients? Boras guys don't sign extensions, so that's probably one reason why.

Let me answer that for you, Dave:

Rendon (Boras)
Harper (Boras)
Strasburg (Boras)
JZimm (SFX)
Desmond (Sports One)
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #498 on: November 04, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
i wouldnt call it unwillingness. as you said, a bunch of boras guys there so thats no small task even bringing the subject up (though id love to see rendon signed longterm asap), and rizzo tried with desmond and zimmermann.

the time when he could have signed desmond to a really cheap extension was before he solidifed himself as an elite talent, so its hard to fault rizzo for not getting it done in that case. if hed locked him up for years and desmond never reached the next level rizzo would get panned for the move.

but i do think he'll pay up for desmond now, just cuz theres really no other choice. the nats have young pitchers almost ready if they lose zimmermann but who fills the void desmond (even with his flaws) leaves?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:37:55 pm by gaaaaaaaaah »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #499 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:12 pm »
im seeing zimmermann to the cubs talk starting to heat up

rizzo's moves tend to come out of nowhere so idk if this holds any water but the cubs have some middle infield prospects the nats could use. we'll see

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #500 on: November 12, 2014, 10:53:38 am »
I'd be bummed to see JZimm leave DC. I've had fun watching that guy over the past couple of years since he returned from Tommy John.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2014, 03:41:32 pm »
im seeing zimmermann to the cubs talk starting to heat up

rizzo's moves tend to come out of nowhere so idk if this holds any water but the cubs have some middle infield prospects the nats could use. we'll see

Do the Nats need a prospect or a 2B that can play now?

I'll give you Howie Kendrick for JZimm right now!  Though I doubt the Halo's can take on JZimm's $16.5m salary for next season.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #502 on: November 12, 2014, 07:25:04 pm »
I call bullshit....If I traded him I'd have to get MAJOR stuff...prospects??? Are we high? I'd have to get a proven huge bat to even consider it... he's our ace and one of the best pitchers in baseball...

I don't think the Cubs have anything I want...

vansmack

« Reply #503 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »
Maybe he's not agreeing to an extension the team feels is his correct value?

In that case, do you use him for one year and get a first round pick in return when he signs elsewhere, or do you improve the team with major league ready talent when his values the highest?
27>34

hutch

« Reply #504 on: November 12, 2014, 07:57:46 pm »
Maybe he's not agreeing to an extension the team feels is his correct value?

In that case, do you use him for one year and get a first round pick in return when he signs elsewhere, or do you improve the team with major league ready talent when his values the highest?

I give him what he asks for..he's earned it. I'm not going to let my best pitcher go. I'd let Stras go ANY DAY before I let Jordan Zim go....

But if I were to let him go I'd take the first round pick.... not some "prospect"...

I feel teams are invariably wrong to give up their pitchers for very little in return.. a few teams this past year made some real head scratcher decisions.... Boston got Cespedes and somebody else and (I thought it made some sense for Boston is what I'm saying) we're only going to get a prospect???

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #505 on: November 12, 2014, 08:00:33 pm »
i asked a chicago friend and he said the current round of rumors stemmed from a complete hack chicago journalist whos been at odds with cubs people for years.

so its unlikely, but rizzo  doesnt belong in the job if he wont at least listen to offers, and i imagine hell be getting plenty.

it is an interesting dilemma. i wouldnt support trading jordan for just prospects but prospects and a major league ready infielder? its a big gamble. 2015 isnt the end of the nats window but with jordan, desmond, fister, span, clippard all free agents after next year its probably the best shot theyre gonna have, so im inclined to think no major trade will happen this winter, but who knows. i certainly want zimmermann around longer but it would suck to lose him and only get a draft pick out of the deal.

of course that sting would be lessened by a 2015 world series trophy lead by zimmermann

hutch

« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2014, 08:02:33 pm »
JZim and Rendon are the heart AND guts of the team.....Why should the Nats not keep JZim? Is attendance poor??? Come on now...

hutch

« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2014, 08:05:11 pm »
when I first read this I thought we were talking about RZim....

yeah, I'd let HIM go.. his body is done....but JZim is a workhorse.. I think he's our Bumgarden (sic)..if only Matt Williams had rode him like Bochy rode his beast...

By the way I was there that game and JZim was lights out and Rendon got at least four hits...

WHEN IT COUNTED THEY SHOWED UP.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #508 on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:43 pm »
take it easy, im not saying they should get rid of him at all. i love watching him pitch and would send him out over strasburg any game 7. i hope he stays here next year and beyond, im just not optimistic about the beyond

just saying if there are offers, rizzo's got to at least listen. hes not doing his job if he doesnt.

hutch

« Reply #509 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:51 pm »
take it easy, im not saying they should get rid of him at all. i love watching him pitch and would send him out over strasburg any game 7. i hope he stays here next year and beyond, im just not optimistic about the beyond

just saying if there are offers, rizzo's got to at least listen. hes not doing his job if he doesnt.

oh I know..its not you making my blood boil..just the idea of losing him...

I agree Rizzo should listen to offers...but it would have to be something really sweet otherwise I just keep him...

I have this paranoia about the Lerner's being stingy.. not sure its warranted...