Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306574 times)

vansmack

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #945 on: January 11, 2016, 04:08:22 pm »
did we run papelbon out yet or he has that no trade clause?

"We see Papelbon as being one of our late-inning relievers. He's been very effective at it his entire career, including last year, except for the last portion of the season," Rizzo said. "This guy's a quality reliever, quality closer. ... He knows how to win. He brings a swagger to the bullpen. And he's a guy that we'll rely on to pitch late innings, leverage innings."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #946 on: January 14, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »
Also, Ian Desmond still hasn't been signed? Dang. I'm pretty surprised by that.
Sounds like San Diego's kind of guy to me!  At least they won't lose a first round draft pick.

San Diego signed Alexei Ramirez to a one year deal.  No idea where Desmond lands now....
27>34

hutch

« Reply #947 on: January 22, 2016, 10:07:04 pm »

hutch

« Reply #948 on: January 22, 2016, 10:07:34 pm »
I know a lot of people will disagree but I hope the Nats go out and get Cespedes....

hutch

« Reply #949 on: January 23, 2016, 09:22:12 am »
well we tried...

vansmack

« Reply #951 on: January 24, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »
Interesting that he would include Anaheim.  They weren't even in the running as they can't afford to sign anyone so long as Josh Hamilton is on the books.  They'll have to trade a pitcher to get an outfielder.

I agree on the Nats though - I haven't quite wrapped my head around these opt-out deals that are becoming so popular.  A streaky player like Cespedes, who has an injury history, should have taken the 5 years guaranteed from the Nats.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #952 on: January 24, 2016, 08:25:39 pm »
Seems to me an opt-out only benefits the player who wants the long term deal in the first place.  What's in it for the team?   

vansmack

« Reply #953 on: January 26, 2016, 02:40:23 am »
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #954 on: January 26, 2016, 12:20:53 pm »
Nationals Have to Wonder: Does anyone want to play in DC?
Yeesh. One year removed from being a perennial WS favorite. I guess that's what happens when the whole frickin team goes cold or gets injured. I heard something on the radio that had Max Scherzer's first no hitter last year and remembering the absolutely TEAR that he was on before the All Star break and then him kind of falling back to Earth. Crazy how streaky the team became.

At least we have hockey! For now... eventually.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #955 on: January 26, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »
who cares.. none of the free agents have been that great.. sure I wanted Cespedes but would he have been worth the commitment?.. we can't tell that..he also would have added to the dickhead quotient in the clubhouse which is already HUGE given harper and papelbon...

I'm fine keeping my money in my pockets if nobody wants it... and waiting for a quality free agent/better free agent market... we're stocked pitching wise and all we need are some bats... if there aren't great bats to be had what is the problem?

the bigger concern is in-house: can Rendon come back and be a regular contributor at year before last level? is there any hope of resigning Harper?

honestly, I prefer to fly under the radar a bit and let the Mets handle the pressure.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #956 on: January 26, 2016, 01:02:59 pm »
I just hate seeing people slobber over the Mets or, previously, the Barves. I despise those 2 teams. It seemed as if everyone was jizzing their pants over the Mets last year.

On the Nats side, I'm VERY interested to see what happens this year. Can't imagine missing another post season would bode well for the remaining free agents or signing anyone else here, especially under a new skipper. Can't see them going into a "rebuild" phase so soon. They have a TON of youth in the pipeline though. Very interesting season ahead...
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #957 on: January 26, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »
Yeesh. One year removed from being a perennial WS favorite.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #958 on: January 26, 2016, 01:17:24 pm »
sure I wanted Cespedes but would he have been worth the commitment?.. we can't tell that..he also would have added to the dickhead quotient in the clubhouse which is already HUGE given harper and papelbon...
I don't think he's a dickhead. And unless I missed it, didn't he just sign for 3 years?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #959 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:08 pm »
sure I wanted Cespedes but would he have been worth the commitment?.. we can't tell that..he also would have added to the dickhead quotient in the clubhouse which is already HUGE given harper and papelbon...
I don't think he's a dickhead. And unless I missed it, didn't he just sign for 3 years?

he signed for three years with a one year opt out but the contract he turned down from the Nats- REPORTEDLY- was FIVE years with an opt out..and  $110 million (sizable amount deferred)... that is what it was taking and it wasn't even enough...

Now I am not saying I know for a fact the Nats would not have been better off with Cespedes but I am OK keeping the money... there's got to be better free agents coming down the pike... now if Cespedes goes all triple crown this year, well.... but I doubt that..