Author Topic: The Killers "Hot Fuss"  (Read 2575 times)

Lamb007

The Killers "Hot Fuss"
« on: July 30, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
Can't stop listening to it.  Don't know a thing about them though, except I think they're from Las Vegas and they're playing both Voodoo and Austin City Limits.

Anyone have the 411?  Are they actually a shitty band with a great producer?

vansmack

Re: The Killers "Hot Fuss"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
I heard them on that Indie 103 in LA a while back and loved it.  If I ever get the Cd back from Smackette I'll listen to it much more often.
27>34

TomJaworski

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
I like the single, but heard thats the only good song on the album.

They've opened for Morrissey a couple of times in the states.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
How do they compare to Liz Phair?

Wonder how long it took them to come up with their name?

Originally posted by Lamb007:
  Can't stop listening to it.  Don't know a thing about them though, except I think they're from Las Vegas and they're playing both Voodoo and Austin City Limits.

Anyone have the 411?  Are they actually a shitty band with a great producer?

Bags

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
I think I keep getting them confused with the Kills and the Thrills.   Video  for "Somebody Told Me" is on MTV2 a lot, and I like it.  Have no idea about the album....

Lamb007

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 02:07:00 pm »
I think only two of the songs were written by the Matrix but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] How do they compare to Liz Phair?

Wonder how long it took them to come up with their name?
 QUOTE]

Lamb007

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 02:10:00 pm »
I find a new one I like each time I listen to it.  Favorite is track 2:  "Mr. Brightside."

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  I think I keep getting them confused with the Kills and the Thrills.   Video  for the other song, "Somebody Told Me" is on MTV2 a lot, and I like it.  Have no idea about the album, but sounds like there are two good songs?

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 02:14:00 pm »
I'm kind of partial to track 5, All These Things That I've Done.  I like the gospel-type choir bit.

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 02:16:00 pm »
According to their website, Sunday, October 3 @9:30 Club

Lamb007

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 02:23:00 pm »
Woo Hoo.  I'm stoked!  That is until Rhett sees them at ACL and trashes them.

Originally posted by ChampionshipVinyl:
  According to their website, Sunday, October 3 @9:30 Club

walkman

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 04:28:00 pm »
meh the album doesn't really do much for me.  the single is killer though (geddit? nevermind)

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:
  meh the album doesn't really do much for me.  the single is killer though (geddit? nevermind)
My thoughts exactly.

Rhett, in my opinion, even their filler completely blows away anything by Liz Phair which probably means that you would prefer Liz.

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 08:19:00 pm »
It's like cotton candy, sounds real good at the time, but am I going to listen to it again past September? Nah... They opened for the (absolutely amazing, breathtaking, going-to-take-over-the-world-eventually) Stellastarr and they were very good, particularly the singer who has a good strong voice and the right look (although his whole my-life-of-constant-empty-sex-is-so-boring attitude gets a little tiresome). One of their songs, probably either 'Somebody Told Me' or 'Mr. Brightside', will be the breakout song on a soundtrack or Fox show, the singer will get a few magazine covers, and then they'll come out with a 'difficult' second album and fade into the musical canvas along with 3rd Eye Blind, Phantom Planet, Remy Zero, the Rembrandts, etc.

Best bet is to use 'Somebody Told Me' as the lead-off track on a mixtape for people who don't follow current music. (Followed maybe by something jumpy by Junior Senior; some Franz Ferdinand; that PJ Harvey/Thom Yorke song off of her 'Stories' disc; Wilco's 'I am Trying to Break Your Heart'; the Minutemen's 'Jesus and Tequila' just to shake things up a bit; one of the first few songs on the new Muse album; The Streets' "Dry Your Eyes"; something from the Scissor Sisters disc; Rocket from the Crypt's "On a Rope"; some Libertines; Blur's "Tender"; something from Andre3000's disc; maybe something from Polyphonic Spree; the '99 Problems' track off of The Grey Album; and concluding with Sonic Youth's version of 'Superstar'). I just kind of pulled that out of my ass, but there it is.
oword

metalgurl

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 06:31:00 pm »
the video is interesting. as are the lyrics.

imaginarycolors

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 10:46:00 pm »
I bought the album the day it came out which wasn't long ago although it somewhat feels like it, but I've enjoyed it, any good all-around album is better than the other filth that's out there on modern rock radio although I am proud Franz Ferdinand and Modest Mouse do have radio staples and have successful albums, The Killers should be next to bat but if not, one more band the world doesn't get know as well.  Its nothing like Liz Phair(how did that get brought up in this specific board), band wrote all the songs and did some production as well but not a big shot producer, one fun album to look for, here is one of them.