Author Topic: VHS to stills  (Read 1682 times)

Celeste

VHS to stills
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
anyone know a place in DC they recommend for transferring still shots from a VHS to CD that can be used in a power point presentation?

my art directors club listserv doesn't seem to be too lively today (hell, it may be defunct I haven't used in so long) and I know there are some folks on here that might have some ideas...

thanks

ratioci nation

Re: VHS to stills
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
there is a place on columbia that advertises video transfers in their window, it is the video rental place just down from fleet feet, but not sure if they do that

my company use to use these people http://www.interfacevideo.com/ for video work

and lastly if you can find somebody with a computer and card that allows you to play the vcr through the computer you can just take the screen shots yourself if you have screen shot software

Celeste

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
thanks, pollard, I'll give those a shot...

we don't have shit here as far as equipment goes...harumph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
Call up one of the many colleges/university A/V departments in town. Most of them offer these services to the public for a reasonable fee.

Celeste

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
hmmm...that's a good idea, too...thank you

hitman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »
I had a painting professor in college that had a  video printer, that he could print still images paused on a videotape.  That was ten years ago, and I'm sure that they have to have something like this for your purposes.  Take Random Citizen's advice.  You could probably check with Kinko's (maybe) or some professional printing or graphics service.

hitman

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »

markie

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:29:00 pm »
How good does it have to be? The quality of broadcast VHS is pretty poor.....

As a quick fix you could always pause the VHS and take a digital camera pic of the screen. It'll be shit, but then its going to be shit.....

Celeste

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
the key is me not having to do the work...so I'm going to have our assistant call the place pollard recommended and let them do it...

I'm an artiste! I don't have time for doing it myself, though the taking digital images is a clever idea