Author Topic: Club Pix  (Read 1801 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Club Pix
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
FRIDAY

The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, at Iota, are a mom-pop-and-daughter band that craft their bouncy songs from truly random slides of family vacations.

What??s that dirty socks stench wafting from the State Theatre? Why, it??s the renowned Grateful Dead cover band, Dark Star Orchestra.

The North Mississippi Allstars and The Dirty Dozen Brass Band combine for a night of foot-stomping blues and heart-pounding funk at the 930 Club.

Local indie popsters Exit Clov, at DC 9, have been creating a big buzz around their skittering beats and airy vocals.

SATURDAY

Liverpool??s Clinic, at Black Cat, play critically-praised, druggy post-punk.

Lewis Black, at American University??s Bender Arena, is the resident cynic on The Daily Show, which is really saying something.

The Washington Social Club, at DC 9 for an acoustic set, may be DC??s next great rock hope.

Public Enemy may have canceled, but the boundary-breaking 80s metal group Living Colour is still on at the 930 Club.

SUNDAY

Fresh off their excellent and revealing documentary, Metallica storms into the MCI Center. We hear that the taping and bootlegging of the show is encouraged by Lars.

Ex-Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan is presenting his life-affirming poetry in an early reading at the 930 Club.

Billed as a ??techfunk social? at DC 9, Electricity features acclaimed local DJ Will Eastman.

The Faint, at the 930 Club, reaches out to emo kids with throwaway new wave synth beats, while their support, TV on the Radio, released perhaps the best and most ambitious indie album of the year.
(o|o)

eltee

Re: Club Pix
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 03:58:00 pm »
Start w/ Thursday:
 Mindy Smith, Charlie Mars @ 9:30 club

Add to Friday:
 Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers at JJava
 Teitur at JJava

Isn't Cartel w/ Exit Clov?  ;)

TomJaworski

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
Saturday @ State Theatre
 The Zombies & Love w/ Arthur Lee

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
Why not refer to Living Colour as "washed up" instead of "boundary breaking"?

Exactly what boundaries did they break, anyway?

And maybe you could mention Billy Corgan is bankrolling his 6.8 million dollar house.

TomJaworski

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:08:00 pm »
Oh, and Clinic is playing the Black Cat on Friday, not Saturday.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Why not refer to Living Colour as "washed up" instead of "boundary breaking"?

cause not everyones a self-righteous asshole.

eltee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  Saturday @ State Theatre
Oh yeah! I read a review in OnTap last night. Can anyone here elaborate on their sound? I went to the site a few weeks ago, didn't have a chance to listen. Sorry, I'm not familiar. But you guys are saying great things...so I'm curious. Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 04:13:00 pm »
Good to see I'm not the only one up on all the new bands.  :)

Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:

Saturday @ State Theatre
Oh yeah! I read a review in OnTap last night. Can anyone here elaborate on their sound? I went to the site a few weeks ago, didn't have a chance to listen. Sorry, I'm not familiar. But you guys are saying great things...so I'm curious. Thanks. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
Don't know much about The Zombies they were a British Invasion band whod had a couple really great sixties pop hits "She's Not There" and "Ten Her No". I've never heard it but the lasting mark the band left was with the album "Odessey and Oracle" which among hardcore pop enthusists ranks up there with Sgt Peppers and Pet Sounds.

Love was an amazing group that influenced several of it's contempories.  The Doors got much of their sound from early Love.  The Rolling Stones among others took cues from Love.  The bands early singles and albums run the gamut from garage rock to straight ahead pop.  It's their "Forever Changes" that left a real mark in several English post punk bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Damned.  Intelligent Rock at its finest.

Love is now down to one orginial member, Arthur Lee who was the singer and primary songwriter.  He's been backed for several years by the same group of musicians.  A Love "Behind by the Music" would make several bands look like wannabies.  Drugs, Robberies, Scandal, Jail Time, It's all there in the Love Story.

Last years Love show was nothing sort of brillant and amazing.  Hearing "Forever Changes" in it's entirey was just WOW.  I'm looking forward to seeing them again and hearing some of earlier more rawkus rock stuff.
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 08:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 Intelligent Rock at its finest.

Last years Love show was nothing sort of brillant and amazing.  Hearing "Forever Changes" in it's entirey was just WOW.  I'm looking forward to seeing them again and hearing some of earlier more rawkus rock stuff.
Thanks Kosmo!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
  Saturday @ State Theatre
good point, I should have caught that one ... although I think it's mentioned in today's express....
(o|o)