Author Topic: NBA Dress Code  (Read 2522 times)

NBA Dress Code
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:06:00 pm »
So what do y'all think of the controversy surrounding the NBA dress code story?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/10/19/jackson.dress.code.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

vansmack

Re: NBA Dress Code
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
I think I'll wait until I see it on TV to comment on it.
27>34

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
I wonder if Stephen Jackson will take off into the stands and beat the shit out of David Stern.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
i think its silly, wouldn't go so far as to call it racist, though
o/\o

duderino

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
asking for a clothing stipend is absurd. plus, gold chains and a lot of those throwback jerseys can cost just as much as a decent suit. that said, i think jason richardson made the best arguments.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
i liked mark cuban's take on it on PTI yesterday ... it's not racist, just stupid ... old people (owners) who don't understand youth culture ... he has a good perspective on it, being in on the owners' negotiations and all
(o|o)

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
So should corporate employees be allowed to wear whatever youth culture clothing they want to the the workplace? I mean, NBA players are simply highly paid workers for the NBA corporation, right?

Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
i liked mark cuban's take on it on PTI yesterday ... it's not racist, just stupid ... old people (owners) who don't understand youth culture ... he has a good perspective on it, being in on the owners' negotiations and all [/b]

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
why not let them wear team apparel? it would seem that they are trying to sell the game by dressing up, why not be total billboards and have them wear something from the team store? i'd be all about wearing a wiz do rag if gilbert arenas wore won on the bench
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  So should corporate employees be allowed to wear whatever youth culture clothing they want to the the workplace?
As long as they change before work begins, yes. Likewise, NBA players should be allowed to dress as ridiculously as they wish right up until game time.

Your boss can tell you what to wear at work, but he certainly can't tell you what to wear after hours... unless you boss is the NBA.

Guiny

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
Traveling in sports is considered part of the work day I believe, that's why they have a dress code in the first place. I can just imagine what my boss would say if I wore bling bling necklaces to work over my work clothes. Guarentee I'd get sent home.......Or laughed at.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
So the only time an NBA player is on the job is game time?

Does that equate to the only time a corporate employee is on the job is when he/she is in a business meeting?

Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

So should corporate employees be allowed to wear whatever youth culture clothing they want to the the workplace?
As long as they change before work begins, yes. Likewise, NBA players should be allowed to dress as ridiculously as they wish right up until game time.

Your boss can tell you what to wear at work, but he certainly can't tell you what to wear after hours... unless you boss is the NBA. [/b]

Shadrach

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 04:12:00 pm »
As a pro athelete you're considered "on the clock" while at practice, in team meetings, during game time, at team sponsored events and while traveling with the team. That being said I don't think suits and ties are expected by the general public when they see a player walking into the locker room or sitting out a game on the bench. I think a comprimise of wearing something in the area of "casual friday" for NBA players is not too much to ask for.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
  So the only time an NBA player is on the job is game time?

No, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better analogy for "traveling on a team bus" in our work world then "driving to work." Even if I was sent on a business trip, I cannot imagine them telling me what to wear on the flight.

And this makes no mention that the traditional demographic of the NBA fan has no desire to see the players in collared shirts.

BookerT

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
did you all take  the poll espn.com has?

i see no problem with it, especially since the players agreed to it before they started complaining.

"The players' union signed off on the dress code during the league's negotiations for the last collective bargaining agreement, which went into effect in August. The players' union, which was consulted in establishing the dress code, has not fought it."

they shouldn't be forced to wear three-piece suits on airplanes, but i don't think that anyone's identity is at stake.

muschi

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 11:14:00 pm »
why are basketball shorts so effing long? why are shorts in general so effing long?! alot are so long they are just high-waters. kind of defeats the purpose of wearing shorts.
 usually "Yo" idiots wear them. reminds me of the black guy in the news who got caught by the cops bc his pants were hanging off his ass so much he could hardly run. doyyy! ...but hey, "yo yo yo".

in fact, i want to extend the trend, have my underwear hang down my legs too. yeah. so far that my wang hangs out. and if ppl say its wrong for my wang to be hanging out i'll just call them a racist, and i'll get away with it and ppl will buy it [bc theyre fakeass pc hypocrits] for i could do no wrong, yo.