Author Topic: Top 5 Favorite shows I've attended by decade  (Read 8604 times)

renton007

Re: Top 5 Favorite shows I've attended by decade
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
Man, you guys (or gals as the case may be) have seen some great shows.  I lived in a town that wasn't on any major or minor rock tour route.  Only four of the bands listed made it though my neck of the woods. Thankfully, DC most of the bands I like get to DC once in awhile.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 10:32:00 am »
Narrowing it down to 5 is tough.

70s
 ---
 7/7/79   KISS  -  Capital Centre
 11/5/79  The Eagles  - Capital Centre
 12/9/79  Foreigner/Hall and Oates/KC and the Sunshine Band  -  Capital Centre

80s
 ---
 12/8/81 Rolling Stones  - Capital Centre
 7/5/82  Queen  -  Capital Centre
 7/1/84  Ramones - Wax Museum (DC)
 1/25/86 Stevie Ray Vaughn/Fabulous Thunderbirds  -  University Hall - UVA
 10/24/86  R.E.M./Camper Van Beethoven  -  Syria Mosque - Pittsburgh

90s
 ---
 11/23/91  Planet Drum  -  Lisner Auditorium
 6/26/92 Neil Young (solo acoustic)  -  Merriweather
 1/?/94  B-52's  -  40 Watt  - Athens, GA
 5/28/94 Beastie Boys -  WUST
 7/14/95 X (acoustic)  -  9:30 Club

00s
 ---
 11/16/00  Foo Fighters  -  Black Cat
 9/1/03    Dismemberment Plan/Beauty Pill/The Aquarium  -  9:30
 10/23/03  Q And Not U/French Toast -  Warehouse Next Door
 10/1/04   Springsteen/R.E.M./John Fogerty   -    Wachovia Center (Philly)
 10/7/05   Bob Mould -  9:30

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 10:38:00 am »
How long until we see a Jesus Jones/EMF/Soup Dragons/Neds Atomic Dustbin show making the rounds?

Originally posted by bearman:
  Figures that Rhett would have to make a comment about Ned's...personally, they were one of my live faves. Great band, nice guys too.

TheDirector217

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 10:44:00 am »
Damn.  I thought I had seen some nice lil' shows.  But the one some of y'all caught are like WHOA! I am officially in envy thus far of the following shows:

The Clash. Say no more.

Pumpkins/Chili Peppers/Pearl Jam @ AU (What the fuck? At the same show?!)

Springsteen/R.E.M./Fogerty (Once again . . . At the same show?!)

Prince & The Time (Seen 'em both separately, together would have been mind-blowing)

AC/DC.  I've been waiting to cross them off my list for some time now.  Aside of R.E.M. (Not sure I care anymore) & Springsteen, I think they're the only legendary group I haven't seen yet. Once I get done with The Stooges in a couple weeks, of course.   :D   Aside of Pink Floyd (which won't happen) & Zeppelin (ditto)

In order to avoid disrespecting this thread, and more importantly being shown up by the excellence in this thread, I have to go home & dig through my concert stubs.  I'll get back to you . . . . .

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 10:54:00 am »
Pumpkins/Chili Peppers/Pearl Jam

I won tickets on a college radio station in upstate NY for this show. It either speaks for my lack of music-savvy friends, or for the lameness of my company, but I couldn't find anybody to go with me for free.

Both PJ and Smashing Pumpkins were new relatively unknown bands at the time, so not like you were getting three major bands on the package. I arrived late and heard only the end of PJ's set. Must say, it didn't sounds half bad at the time. That was the only time I've ever seen PJ. Smashing Pumpkins were next. I had bought their first album when it came out, but live they sucked. Maybe it was the hockey arena, I don't know. But sitting through them was nearly unbearable. And finally, the RHCP played. I had seen them before in a crowded, sweaty, moshpit having, standing only gymnasium, and the show was excellent. But at a seated hockey arena, they sucked. And I left well before they finished.

So while this show has big name recognition, to me it sucked. But maybe at AU it was better.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:

Springsteen/R.E.M./Fogerty (Once again . . . At the same show?!)
It was one of the "Vote For Change" shows.  Someone else was there too (Bright Eyes maybe?) but I missed them.  

AC/DC was one of the (many) shows I had a hard time cutting from my 80's list.

Sir HC

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  How could I have forotten Daniel Ash's hissy fit at the Patriot center. I think an early Janes Addiction may have opened that one.
Not the DAR show, are you?  He tossed 4 acoustics that night, and one group hug on stage (looked like the stage lighting would occasionally just "go out" and that pissed him off).

Pixies opened, and Black Francis said "This song is our soundcheck", so it seems that L&R were really hosing everyone.

MikeyPanik

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 12:14:00 pm »
00's

Garbage/No Doubt
 Gwen Stefani/Black Eyed Peas
 The Sounds
 The Sounds (again)
 Scissor Sisters

Reod Dai

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »
Man, I'm a youngster compared to most of you.  My first show was in 1990. >_>  I didn't go to all that many shows in the 90s (growing up in southern PA made that difficult), so picking five of them is easy.  I decided immediately that a 2000s top five would be too difficult, tried for a top ten, and ended up with a top fifteen.     :)    

1990s
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">1. Pink Floyd - Veterans Stadium, June 1994</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">2. Bruce Springsteen - Capital Centre, August 1992</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">3. Goo Goo Dolls / Sugar Ray / Fastball - Merriweather, August 1999</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">4. Green Day - State Farm Show Arena, November 1995</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">5. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Merriweather, August 1995</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">
 2000s
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">1.  Therion / Todesbonden / Brave - Jaxx Nightclub, September 2005</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">2. Bright Eyes / M. Ward / The Bruces - Showbox (Seattle), October 2002</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">3. Pearl Jam - Benaroya Hall (Seattle), October 2003</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">4. Kevin Martin & The HiWatts - Crocodile Cafe (Seattle), November 2003</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">5. Red Hot Chili Peppers / The Flaming Lips - Key Arena (Seattle), October 2003</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">6. Death Cab for Cutie / Nada Surf / Smoosh - Showbox (Seattle), November 2003</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">7. The Violent Femmes - The Norva, December 2005</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">8. Muse - Commodore Ballroom (Vancouver, BC), May 2004</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">9. The Weakerthans / Murder By Death - Neumo's (Seattle), December 2004</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">10. Mates of State / Maria Taylor / Hail Social - State Theatre, March 2006</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">11. Of Montreal - The Norva, August 2006</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">12. Matt Pond PA / Youth Group - 9:30 Club, March 2006</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">13. Conor Oberst, Jim James, M. Ward ("Monsters of Folk" tour) - Commodore Ballroom (Vancouver BC), October 2004</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">14. Iced Earth / Children of Bodom - Graceland (Seattle), May 2004</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">15. Cowboy Mouth / Cracker - Showbox (Seattle), November 2003</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">

Sir HC

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »
This is hard, and remembering the decade is tough:

70s
 1979 (it is on his website!) Barry Louis Polisar - my elementary school

80s
 86 - Jesus and Mary Chain & 9353, College Park, Psychocandy tour.

1988 (?) - Butthole Surfers & Government Issue - College Park (Hairway tour, two drummers), got to meet King Koffee...

(1988?) Janes Addiction - old 930 club, Nothing Shocking tour.  What was shocking was how short they are.

87-88ish - Love and Rockets and The Mighty Lemon Drops (think this was their second Warner show).  

The Go-Betweens - 930 club - either of their two times I saw them there, but when it was with the guy the Replacements sang about, he played too long and pissed us off.  (not sure I would now really want to see him or not).

90s

92- My Bloody Valentine, Buffalo Tom, Mercury Rev (with David Baker) - Hammerjacks.  

90 - Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Geek - The Citadel.  So many other Fugazi shows that I could put down.

93-4 (?) - The Orb at the old 930.  Real drummer and bassist.  I gave Ed my ticket stub so I can't remember exact dates...

95ish (?) - Stone Roses - WUST - they were to play at Georgetown, but Ian had a hissyfit and tried to break the stained glass and push the PA off stage (according to the Georgetown Electrician), so the show was moved to WUST where there were no seats and so people could dance.

Love and Rockets - Lift tour - 930 and Bohagers.

00s

Sigur Ros - 930 (?? year).  I was sick with the flu but they were worth dragging my sick butt out.

Gomez - In Our Gun tour - Seen them before and since, but this show they were top form and killer.

Chemical Brothers - 930 - (was it 2001, 2000, I forget).

Fugazi- Fort Reno, their last one.  They just rocked out.

Comets on Fire - 2004/5?- Ottobar.  It was so much fun to watch those who were "dragged along" jump back three feet when they started.  I guess it was the "oh they are a hippie jam band" until the explosion of noise.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by chancegardener:
 [QB] 1970's:

2. AC/DC; Cheap Trick - Symphony Hall, Atlanta 8/11/78

3. Joni Mitchell (band included Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorius) - Mann Music Center, Philly 8/28/79

4. Ramones / Runaways / The Jam - Tower Theater, Philly 3/18/78

>> I saw that AC/Cheap Trick tour at Towson State with Bon Scott,of course....excellent!

I can't believe you got to catch Jaco P. live with Joni Mitchell!...Greatest bass player of all time....my regret, I never saw him in person.

I left The Jam show in '82 off my list,probably cause the sound was pretty terrible....it was great otherwise....

SPARX

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

How could I have forotten Daniel Ash's hissy fit at the Patriot center. I think an early Janes Addiction may have opened that one.
Not the DAR show, are you?  He tossed 4 acoustics that night, and one group hug on stage (looked like the stage lighting would occasionally just "go out" and that pissed him off).

Pixies opened, and Black Francis said "This song is our soundcheck", so it seems that L&R were really hosing everyone. [/b]
No, this was definitely the Patriot Center. The 1987 tour with Janes Addiction as openers

Sir HC

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 10:40:00 am »

Pixies opened, and Black Francis said "This song is our soundcheck", so it seems that L&R were really hosing everyone. [/b]
No, this was definitely the Patriot Center. The 1987 tour with Janes Addiction as openers [/b]
Guess in his junkie days he has a lot of hissy fits.

SPARX

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »
 [[/qb]
No, this was definitely the Patriot Center. The 1987 tour with Janes Addiction as openers [/qb][/QUOTE]Guess in his junkie days he has a lot of hissy fits. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yep, I got the distinct impression he'd be a real pain in the ass to work with!!!

jeffnar

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 11:21:00 am »
70's:
 rolling stones/kansas/peter tosh-7/1/78 cleveland stadium
 cars/todd rundgren and utopia/cheap trick/eddie money-1979 legend valley ohio
 aerosmith/golden earring-11/2/78 civic arena, pittsburgh
 rush/starz-1/19/79, civic arena, pittsburgh
 yes-4/11/79, civic arena, pittsburgh

80's: (this was impossible)
 keith richards-12/4/88 orpheum theater, boston (after lights dim, aerosmith sit 2 rows away with/as fans)
 pixies/zulus-11/21/1989 citi club, boston
 peter gabriel-11/17/82, stanley theater, pittsburgh (band enters single-file slo-mo thru aisles to stage)
 roger waters-85 worcester centrum, mass.
 king crimson- 10/31/81 carnegie-mellon auditorium (the complete re-invention of the 4 piece rock band)

90's:
 morrissey-93 ovens auditorium, charlotte
 patti smith-12/17/97(?)-cat's cradle, chapel hill, NC
 rolling stones-3/15/99, first union center, philly
 swervedriver-cat's cradle, chapel hill, NC
 cocteau twins-'91 or '92, orpheum theater, boston, MA

'00's:
 rolling stones -2002, orpheum theatre, boston (4th row center aisle $50)
 roger waters-9/2006 nissan pavillion, VA
 kraftwerk-5/30/05, 930 club, DC
 jimmy page & black crowes-7/4/00 walnut creek, raleigh, NC
 depeche mode-5/21/2006 nissan pavillion, VA