Author Topic: The Pernice Brothers and the Tyde  (Read 21457 times)

mankie

Re: The Pernice Brothers and the Tyde
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Moz owes more to the Rat Pack than Dusty Springfield.  He's a crooner and a greaser!  Not some white R&B singer.  Johnny Marr wouldn't have those licks if he didn't listen to rockabilly.  Sure, the Smiths may not have sang about the US, but their music definitely came from over here.
"Mr. Moore, this is office Dibble...put down the crack pipe and step away."

markie

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
from all accounts Marr listened to everything including disco, the stuff that Moz hated.

I dont think the smiths sound very rockabilly though. Musical influences have been traded across the Atlantic since the Beatles. But the smiths dont sound at all American or interested in America.

mankie

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2003, 03:20:00 pm »
Markie...did you know Paul Heaton was influenced by Bruce Springsteen and the Grateful Dead?  ;)  

Evidently Mike Scott was a huge Bon Jovi fan.

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
The Smiths were the definitive British indie-rock band of the '80s, marking the end of synth-driven New Wave and the beginning of the guitar-rock that dominated English rock into the '90s. Sonically, the group was indebted to the British Invasion, crafting ringing, melodic three-minute pop singles, even for their album tracks. But their scope was far broader than that of a revivalist band. The group's core members, vocalist Morrissey and guitarist Johnny Marr, were obsessive rock fans inspired by the D.I.Y. ethics of punk, but they also had a fondness girl groups, pop and rockabilly.

thirsty moore

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
Yeh, Shakespeare's Sister -- definitely doesn't owe a thing to American music.  

I thought if you had an acoustic guitar it meant that you were an American singer?

Celeste

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
  Musical influences have been traded across the Atlantic since the Beatles.
and before then, even

But the smiths dont sound at all American or interested in America.
I agree, they are very english indeed

markie

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2003, 03:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Yeh, Shakespeare's Sister -- definitely doesn't owe a thing to American music.  

I thought if you had an acoustic guitar it meant that you were an protest singer?
TOOL

mankie

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2003, 03:28:00 pm »

TOOL

[/b]
Pretty sure they're yanks (I hope anyway)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
reflecting on what started all of this i would like to add the following thoughts...

on first listen the Pernice Brothers record really grabbed my attention and stirred the soul.  and as enjoy it even more with each listen.

on first listen the turin brakes record my it was a bit dull and didn't really grab my attention.  it's not horrible and i can see the appeal and with a  few more listens it might grow on me.  it's just not as stunning as the Pernice Brothers.

will mankie have the same reation as i to either of these records?  probably not because if we all had the same reaction to things it would be a dull place to exist.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2003, 10:03:00 pm »
some interesting reading from the press release and liner notes written by Morrissey from the new record "Under the Influence: Morrissey"

Press Release

DMC,  the company behind Back To Mine, the unparalleled         compilation series that invites itself into the homes of dance musicâ??s  most respected artists, is about to unleash a new series of compilations entitled Under The Influence.

Under The Influence draws on the inspirations and all time loves of the worldâ??s greatest recording artists. Legendary Smithâ??s front man Morrissey compiles  the first in this unique series and his choice of material is as wildly         eclectic and inspirational as one would hope for.

Morrisseyâ??s chosen artists, as he explains in his extensive and highly entertaining sleeve notes "conjure an atmosphere and a special standard because they were (or are) true pop artists. The mere sound of their names is as         powerful as their work, so that we only need to hear that name in order to glide into a half-dream state".

The album kicks off with The Sundown Playboysâ?? â??Saturday Nite Specialâ??, an obscure Cajun track sung in Acadian French.  Morrissey first heard the song in 1972 and despite not understanding a word of it, itâ??s curious vocal         melody stayed with him. A handful of other curiosities also feature on  the album from Jaybee Weston, Charlie Feathers, Nat Couty and Jimmy Radcliff, artists whom Morrissey professes to knowing little about but "the happiness these songs give me seems  now to be everlasting â?? even if this is music played with a lop-sided         grinâ?¦"

A teenage obsession with The  New York Dolls prompts the inclusion of â??Trashâ?? as track  two. To 13 year old Morrissey, The New York Dolls "meant one thing:  trouble" and â??Trashâ?? he recalls reminds him "of â??All Grown Upâ?? by The Crystals, and of John Garfieldâ??s far-away  gaze in the film â??Saturdayâ??s Childrenâ?? (1940)." It was  "a fantastic achievement for five boys who otherwise would have  ended up in hotel catering, or amongst the heroined dead".  Additional te enfaves T Rex â?? "the sound of late 1960â??s Nottinghill bed sits" - and Sparks also feature contributing  'Great Horse' and 'Arts And Crafts Spectacular' respectively.

Nico, whose "voice equaled the sound of a body being thrown out of a  window â?? entirely without hope, of this world, or the next or the previous" caught Morrissey attention early on, with â??All That Is My Ownâ?? the designated track here. Making up the albums remaining female contingent are Patti Smith with her debut release 'Hey Joe', Diana Dors â??So Little Timeâ?? and  â??Breaking The Rulesâ??         by Ludus. Bringing the album to a close is a prophetic 'Death' from Klaus Nomi.

1. THE SUNDOWN PLAYBOYS â?? Saturday Nite Special
          2. THE NEW YORK DOLLS â?? Trash
          3. NAT COUTY â?? Woodpecker Rock
          4. DIANA DORS â?? So Little Time
          5. LUDUS â?? Breaking The R ules
          6. CHARLIE FEATHERS â?? One Hand Loose
          7. TYRANNOSAURUS REX â?? Great Horse
          8. J IMMY RADCLIFF â?? (There Goes ) The Forgotten Man
 9. JAYB EE WASDEN â?? De Castrow
          10. RAMONES â?? Judy Is A Punk
          11. S PAR KS â?? Arts And Crafts Spectacular
          12. THE CATS â?? Swan Lake
          13. NICO â?? All That Is My Own
          14. PATTI SMITH â?? Hey Joe
          15. KLAUS NOMI â?? Death

Morrissey's Liner Notes
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2003, 09:25:00 am »
So I went in B&N on Saturday to give a listen to the Pernice brothers....I hear a heavy Natalie Merchant/Sixpence none the richer influence in their work...  ;)  Not really, It's not bad, but something I would probably get bored of in a short time. They reminded me of Thunderclap Newman/Tremoloes, which isn't a put down by the way. If I ever see one of their albums in a used cd place I'd probably pick it up, but it's not a $17 investment for me.

jadetree

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2003, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  So I went in B&N on Saturday to give a listen to the Pernice brothers....I hear a heavy Natalie Merchant/Sixpence none the richer influence in their work...   ;)   Not really, It's not bad, but something I would probably get bored of in a short time. They reminded me of Thunderclap Newman/Tremoloes, which isn't a put down by the way. If I ever see one of their albums in a used cd place I'd probably pick it up, but it's not a $17 investment for me.
you didnt listen to Turin Brakes by chance did you?

mankie

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2003, 10:59:00 am »
Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

you didnt listen to Turin Brakes by chance did you? [/b]
I didn't but only because I couldn't remember the bloody name!

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2003, 11:15:00 am »
I picked up their previous effort for a buck at CD Game Exchange. I don't know who the idiot is that prices such great aibums for a buck, but I won't complain.

Originally posted by mankie:
  So I went in B&N on Saturday to give a listen to the Pernice brothers....I hear a heavy Natalie Merchant/Sixpence none the richer influence in their work...   ;)   Not really, It's not bad, but something I would probably get bored of in a short time. They reminded me of Thunderclap Newman/Tremoloes, which isn't a put down by the way. If I ever see one of their albums in a used cd place I'd probably pick it up, but it's not a $17 investment for me.

markie

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2003, 12:00:00 pm »
Oh I wont say I told you so, Oh fuck it, I will.

NAH, Nah,ner nah. I told you so.

shame you didnt listen to Turin Brakes to say they just sounded like space.