Author Topic: DCCD, fucked?  (Read 6739 times)

Ikarus

Re: DCCD, fucked?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2003, 02:56:00 am »
the game exchange dudes are ho's.  that's a fact.  they're still bitching because you've heard pedro the lion at someone's party a year ago or something.  dccd is awright.  no one else comes close to their local discs.  good thing is, the're not some chain peddling top-40 cds for ~$17.  bad thing is, they're in adams morgan.

allmy$to930

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2003, 09:07:00 am »
The selection and pricing at DCCD is fine...nothing spectacular. My issue is the staff. I have always found them to be incredibly rude. In my favorite CD stores in other cities I could always count on "that's a great CD" or some recommendations based on what I was buying. I was also really offended there once when a worker said "I have never even heard of them" as if the statement was some sort of musical yardstick.

Olssons it is.

sueandnotu

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
I really hope it isn't true.  DCCD doesn't always have what I'm looking for, but when I first moved to DC I was excited to finally find a story that catered to my musical tastes.  Before I came here, I assumed there would be dozens of great little indie record stores, and DCCD seems to be the only one--however scanty their shelves.  Is there really NO other indie music stores worth visiting in the District?  (not snubbing the suburbs, just easier for us carless to get around in the city)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2003, 09:27:00 am »
it's a shame that dccd isn't located on that stretch of u street where the velvet lounge is... it would be a great location of those of us who like to combine trips i.e. shows, 930 box office trips, and record shopping.  dccd would be a good location for getting black cat tickets as well.

i don't get to dccd much because of it's location, if i lived in the area it would be a different story.  it like soundgarden has a decent vinyl selection.

i've never been impressed with the dc area records stores... they are few and far between with spotty selection.  joe's and cdepot are the best, the rest are hit and miss. i went to new now! in alexandria and wasn't as all impressed with the selection. baltimore with record and tape traders, soundgarden and reptile is only marginally better.
T.Rex

sueandnotu

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2003, 09:33:00 am »
I was also extremely disappointed with NOW!  So if the rumor is that the DCCD building is having a bankruptcy option, is there a chance that the store would relocate to a different building?  Maybe something more U-street-ish as Kosmo suggests?  Lower rent, more records in stock?

paige

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2003, 09:34:00 am »
Originally posted by SueAndNotU:
  I was also extremely disappointed with NOW!  So if the rumor is that the DCCD building is having a bankruptcy option, is there a chance that the store would relocate to a different building?  Maybe something more U-street-ish as Kosmo suggests?  Lower rent, more records in stock?
U st. is pretty hip though, in terms of location and accessibility, so wouldn't rent still be expensive? maybe not, seeing as i'm no real estate maverick, but i can't imagine where it could be cheaper to have a store on U st....

mankie

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2003, 09:36:00 am »
I used to go to a good used cd place in Dupont Circle....on P St. I think. It was upstairs over another shop or hairdressers or something. Everytime I went it was an Asian girl working there so I think it was her shop....does anyone else know of it and is it still in business?

sueandnotu

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2003, 09:36:00 am »
If they stuck around 14th, it would be very expensive.  But I bet as you go farther East, the rents drop.  That's how it is with the housing around there, anyway.  Certainly would be cheaper than the 18th St. strip, anyway.

jadetree

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2003, 09:48:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  I used to go to a good used cd place in Dupont Circle....on P St. I think. It was upstairs over another shop or hairdressers or something. Everytime I went it was an Asian girl working there so I think it was her shop....does anyone else know of it and is it still in business?
I remember a store on P called 12 inch discs, was that it?

keithstg

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2003, 09:49:00 am »
Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  I was also really offended there once when a worker said "I have never even heard of them" as if the statement was some sort of musical yardstick.

Well, you were looking for the BoyZone CD, weren't you?

raebyddet

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2003, 09:54:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  it's a shame that dccd isn't located on that stretch of u street where the velvet lounge is...
A friend and I always said that a good place for a shop would be across from the 930 Club kind of by the gas station. There is property up for lease there if anyone wants to take the initiative.

paige

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2003, 10:05:00 am »
Originally posted by raebyddet:
  A friend and I always said that a good place for a shop would be across from the 930 Club kind of by the gas station. There is property up for lease there if anyone wants to take the initiative.
while that area is on the upswing, i think that a lot of businesses are reluctant to relocate there because of the possible risks of more crime or whatever... and even though a lot of people would trek over there to get some good records, it's not the most marketable neighborhood. adams morgan is more convenient, but it's also very central and doesn't scare as many people off (and no, i am not scared of the area by 930 but it isn't as appealing as other areas, let's be honest.)

raebyddet

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2003, 10:08:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:
 while that area is on the upswing, i think that a lot of businesses are reluctant to relocate there because of the possible risks of more crime or whatever... and even though a lot of people would trek over there to get some good records, it's not the most marketable neighborhood. adams morgan is more convenient, but it's also very central and doesn't scare as many people off (and no, i am not scared of the area by 930 but it isn't as appealing as other areas, let's be honest.)
And it would have to have the best selection in the world and the cheapest prices, or everyone would complain.

paige

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2003, 10:08:00 am »
oops - i meant adams morgan is NOT always the most convenient (parking sucks!) for everyone.

jadetree

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2003, 10:08:00 am »
Originally posted by raebyddet:
why doesn't seth open one up over there and help stock it by buying a few cds from all the bands that play at the club