Author Topic: DCCD, fucked?  (Read 6738 times)

markie

DCCD, fucked?
« on: July 28, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
word on the street is that there is going to be a bankruptcy auction of the buiding that houses DCCD. Anyone know anything about this?

I will be sad if it goes.

Re: DCCD, fucked?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 05:15:00 pm »
DCCD is absolutely horrible. Their supply is spotty, clerks are snotty, prices are high, and used section is a joke. I ordered a couple of cd's from them five weeks ago, and they are still not in. Good riddance. Will DC ever get a good cd store, or will I always have to go to the burbs or Baltimore?

markie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 05:17:00 pm »
All of those are valid criticisms. Still it was super handy for picking up new indie releases and finding out what was hip and recently released.

I bought my first Cinerama album from there. *sniff*

Why did you order stuff instead of just getting it from, say, Amazon?

jadetree

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 05:23:00 pm »
Wow, DCCD horrible?  You have some odd opinions Rhett, maybe you know of some better ones, but compared to say, Sam Goody?  It is hardly horrible.  They have a lot of cds that nobody else in the city carries.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 05:25:00 pm »
It will be sad to see it go as it is one of the better stores around for Indie and other non-commercialized music.

Between the prices that the record industry demands, the economy, the rents in the District, and online access; it's tough now for an independent like that to stay afloat. Rhett, you of all people should be sorry to see it go, the way you claim to support the independents. Maybe it's not the store for you personally but it's not Tower, Kemp Mill or Sam Goody.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 05:27:00 pm »
I had a $100 gift certificate, so we picked out 7-8 cd's we wanted in advance. When we got there, they only had one of the cd's we wanted, so we ordered the rest since we didn't find anything else of interest in stock. Oddly, the cd we did find was an Old 97's ep that is pretty hard to find. The musty have had it sitting in their stock for years. Off course, they didn't have any of the other 5 full length Old 97's cd's.

Originally posted by markie:
  All of those are valid criticisms. Still it was super handy for picking up new indie releases and finding out what was hip and recently released.

I bought my first Cinerama album from there. *sniff*

Why did you order stuff instead of just getting it from, say, Amazon?

jadetree

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 05:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I had a $100 gift certificate, so we picked out 7-8 cd's we wanted in advance. When we got there, they only had one of the cd's we wanted, so we ordered the rest since we didn't find anything else of interest in stock. Oddly, the cd we did find was an Old 97's ep that is pretty hard to find. The musty have had it sitting in their stock for years. Off course, they didn't have any of the other 5 full length Old 97's cd's.

I happen to know from looking before that they did not have that Old 97s ep , because at the time all they had was fight songs and Too Far to Care.  They also had Mcluskys first album for 10.99 which is hard to find at all online and Beulahs first album which sells for over $30 online for 7.99.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 05:33:00 pm »
Tower has a lot better selection when it comes to country, bluegrass, and rock. Though I refrain from buying from there on account of the ridiculous prices. I'm not sure that I['ve ever even been to Kemp Mill or Sam Goody, so I can't comment on those two.

Again, all seven albums I were looking for were on indie labels, and only one was in stock. I'm not sure how good of a comment that is about their indie stock.

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  It will be sad to see it go as it is one of the better stores around for Indie and other non-commercialized music.

Between the prices that the record industry demands, the economy, the rents in the District, and online access; it's tough now for an independent like that to stay afloat. Rhett, you of all people should be sorry to see it go, the way you claim to support the independents. Maybe it's not the store for you personally but it's not Tower, Kemp Mill or Sam Goody.

jadetree

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 05:35:00 pm »
  Tower has a lot better selection when it comes to country, bluegrass, and rock. Though I refrain from buying from there on account of the ridiculous prices. I'm not sure that I['ve ever even been to Kemp Mill or Sam Goody, so I can't comment on those two.

Again, all seven albums I were looking for were on indie labels, and only one was in stock. I'm not sure how good of a comment that is about their indie stock.

The dupont kemp mill is closing down, everything is 25% off, of course they dont have near the selection of  DCCD.  No store that size can carry all the indie labels.

markie

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
 [QB] they didn't have any of the other 5 full length Old 97's cd's.

Originally posted by markie:

they normally have satellite rides and fight songs in stock, perhaps some others are there occasionally too.

I cant believe your music taste is so limited that you find it difficult to waste $100 in DCCD. They always have classic albums that I keep meaning to buy.

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 05:38:00 pm »

Originally posted by Jaguär:

[/b]
Well, would you agree that we Indie Rockers deserve a good independent music store as well as you Country (I use the term in it's broadest sense) fans also deserve your own independent store?

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 05:44:00 pm »
Well it would be nice if every city in the US had an Amoeba Records, but then I guess if that were the case, it would no longer be an independent store.

I've found Soundgarden to be semi-decent, as well as that big store out in College Park, the rest of pretty hit and miss.

mankie

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 05:50:00 pm »

or will I always have to go to the burbs?

Burbs good for something then mr fucking city slicker urban cowboy?

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 05:54:00 pm »
I think you have me confused with someone else. I've been saying all along they we'll be moving to the burbs when we get ready to buy, for the same reason you live there.

Originally posted by mankie:

or will I always have to go to the burbs?

Burbs good for something then mr fucking city slicker urban cowboy? [/b]

Bags

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 11:05:00 pm »
Golly, calm down all.   We *all* love music, though some of the genres obviously differ.

One of the guys at CD/Game Exchange insinuated last weekend that DCCD was about to go under, but I thought it was just sour grapes.  I personally don't know what's wrong with DCCD -- I'm clearly not as indie as the majority of board regulars.  And it's my issue that I never really honed my used cd shopping skills.  if something is $11.99 or less, I'm cool with it.

Plus, DCCD seems to be the only place that gets some decent in-store performances.

Alas, another good independent chain is Olsson's, but there prices are nuts.