Author Topic: Roll Call: Sonic Youth  (Read 5429 times)

Guiny

Re: Roll Call: Sonic Youth
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
I shall be there also.   :D

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 11:35:00 am »
Anyone know what they've been playing on this tour? Of course mostly the new record, and I think a few tunes from Murray Street...I've also heard that "Sugar Kane" has been popping up. But if anyone knows if there will be some other surprises, I'd be curious to know. Thanks!

redsock

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by redsock:
  the next Gorky Park concert.
I believe that to be a totally fictional event. [/b]
Actually, the band as of 2000 were still playing gigs, albeit with a hodge podge line-up. Those bumbs Metalica pulled out of a co-headlining Red Square gig in May of 1999 though, may have taken the wind out of Gorky's sails.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 11:51:00 am »
if someone has an extra free ticket, will pack for me and get me drunk and drive me home, i'm totally there
o/\o

Mobius

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/2004.html

Teenage Riot, Kool Thing, and Bull in the Heather were played a bunch out west last month.

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
I personally would love to hear the Empty Page, Mote, Schizophrenia, and Bull in the Heather. Decent setlists, pretty standard for Sonic Youth. A bunch of new songs with some older ones thrown in.

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »
i definitely want to hear some new stuff.  Pattern Recognition is my fav. from the new disc.

Teenage Riot and Drunken Butterfly are favourites. I still havent heard them play 100% yet.

also i would like to hear:

Wildflower Soul
    Silver Rocket
    Androgynous Mind
    My Friend Goo

those would make me happy please.  :)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
I had planned on going but now can't. Luckily, I am going to shows tomorrow and Friday to make up for it.

If anyone wants to buy my ticket, send me a PM.

Guiny

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2004, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I had planned on going but now can't. Luckily, I am going to shows tomorrow and Friday to make up for it.

If anyone wants to buy my ticket, send me a PM.
Redsock might just run everybody else over to get the ticket.

eltee

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2004, 02:49:00 pm »
me

snailhook

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2004, 02:49:00 pm »
Wildflower Soul
 Silver Rocket
 Androgynous Mind
 My Friend Goo

none of these songs will be played. judging from the setlists so far this year, they are typical and a bit too predictable for me (though this is because i've seen SY about 15 times). they'll play about six new songs, two from  murray street, and a handful of popular older ones like "100%", "bull in the heather", and "schizophrenia". there's usually one or two surprises thrown in.

i will be there, and NOT working. i never miss a sonic youth show, unless it's $40 and at DAR.

for those of you curious about the magik markers, they epitomize amateur no-wave. i saw them last year with subarachnoid space in baltimore, and they were almost unbearably lacking in playing skills. that's saying a lot coming from me, as i listen to some of the most abrasive, atonal shit out there. the markers have a lot of heart, though, and they're fun to watch, but don't expect to hear "songs". it's mostly a whole lot of shrieking and flailing away. i doubt i'll be able to get there on time to see the audience boo them.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

Wildflower Soul
 Silver Rocket
 Androgynous Mind
 My Friend Goo

none of these songs will be played. judging from the setlists so far this year,[/b]
parade pisser.

ratioci nation

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
i'll be there, probably be late

song wishlist:
 dude ranch nurse (I assume this will be played)
 swimsuit issue
 wish fulfillment

bearman🐻

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2004, 12:50:00 am »
I still can't decide if it was a great show or merely a good one. It seems like whenever I see Sonic Youth I get something a little different each time. Here was the setlist:

I Love You Golden Blue
 Stones
 Pattern Recognition (excellent)
 Unmade Bed
 Eric's Trip
 Mariah Carey
 Burning Spear
 New Hampshire
 Paper Cup Exit
 Schizophrenia
 Dude Ranch Nurse
 Drunken Butterfly
 ------------------
 Rain on Tin
 Pacific Coast Highway
 ------------------
 set list says Make the Nature Scene, but I thought that Expressway to Yr Skull.

All in all, it was good to see them again, seemed like the band was having a pretty good time and were in good spirits. Nothing will ever compare to the time I saw them in early July 2002 though.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2004, 08:32:00 am »
I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  I thought the lights behind the stage were way cool, and Thurston still acts like he's 25.

The song choice was the only so so part.  Pattern Recognition and Sister were highlights, and the first encore song was incredible, minus the Kim Gordon trumpet.  

I did manage to come to one large Sonic conclusion last night.  I like the songs that Lee sings the best.