Author Topic: Owen goes to the magpies  (Read 3024 times)

Frank Gallagher

Owen goes to the magpies
« on: August 24, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
What a train wreck of a career move that's going to be!!!

He'd be better off sat on the Real Madrid bench....(Or United bench for that matter) than to be managed by the psychotic scotsman.

brennser

Re: Owen goes to the magpies
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:15:00 am »
yeah, and he doesn't seem to be too happy about it either

poor newcastle, always the bridesmaid, never the bride

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
You know he turned down Everton? That would've been a much better move for him, and the fans would get over it............sooner or later!  ;)

helicon1

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
Anyone watch the drubbing Real Madrid put on a team of MLS all-stars? 5-0. MLS has a loooong way to go.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
DAMN these footie threads!  This time I thought you were going to be talking about Owen Wilson!!!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
  Anyone watch the drubbing Real Madrid put on a team of MLS all-stars? 5-0. MLS has a loooong way to go.
that goal they showed on sportcenter's top 10 was just absurd ... so embarrassing to MLS ...
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
It was an amazing display by Real, but yes, the competition wasn't exactly up to snuff.  It could have been 10-0.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
  You know he turned down Everton? That would've been a much better move for him, and the fans would get over it............sooner or later!   ;)  
I'm still in a bit of shock he didn't go to Everton.  Seriously, New Castle?
27>34

brennser

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »
Seriously, New Castle?
Souness must be one of the most overrated managers in recent memory - I think he's clueless tactically, and a complete head case to boot....

edit: check it out! 1500 posts - my boss will be so proud when I tell him   :D

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 12:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

edit: check it out! 1500 posts - my boss will be so proud when I tell him    :D  
Congrats.  I quietly hit 4000 yesterday and after a moment of silent reflection, I asked myself, what have I let myself wither down to?
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  DAMN these footie threads!  This time I thought you were going to be talking about Owen Wilson!!!
And why would Owen Wilson be going to Newcastle????

Barcelona

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 03:36:00 pm »
It's even worse for MLS taking into account how bad Real Madrid is these days.

smakawhat

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 03:37:00 pm »
Owen in Newcastle??  I yi yi yi...!

Bags

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
Posted at 11:29 AM ET, 08/22/2005
 Washington Post Going Out Gurus Blog

The Soccer Scene

With the English soccer season underway as of last weekend, here's a look at the top spots bringing Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United to early risers on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Check each bar's individual Web site for a schedule of upcoming games.

Fado Irish Pub remains a personal favorite, thanks to a large projection screen, imperial pints of Guinness, a filling Irish breakfast platter (eggs, rashers, sausages, baked beans, etc.) and a very lively crowd that contains a number of ex-pats. Arrive early or you'll stand for 90 minutes. There's no cover for most matches -- international and F.A. Cup games are the exceptions -- and Fado is open on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. (Click here to see Fado's schedule)

Bar Pilar kicked off its new Sunday brunch and live soccer combo yesterday. There's only one television in the 14th Street saloon, but it's a decent-sized flat-screen right in the center of the bar. The breakfast menu includes a plate of biscuits smothered in thick gravy and little chunks of spicy sausage. (Sadly, I didn't get the promised side of tater tots.) My brunch date had huevos rancheros and my new favorite breakfast cocktail: a very tasty Bloody Mary garnished with crispy, burnt applewood bacon. (I had to sneak a taste of the drink, but she ate the bacon as soon as the glass was placed in front of her.) Doors open at 11 -- just in time for featured Sunday matches -- and there's no cover.

Long the destination of choice for area soccer fans, Summers won over a whole new group of converts by sprucing up the dining room, adding dozens of flat-screen televisions and announcing that there would be no smoking during live matches. Summers has the most screens of any soccer-friendly bar, and it's usually pretty easy to get a table or barstool with a view of the game. Too bad the food is second-rate and servers tend to disappear. Grab your coffee and doughnuts elsewhere before heading over here. There's no longer a cover charge for most games, though a $10 minimum is in effect. (Click here to see the Summers schedule.)

Finally, there's Lucky Bar, which has a massive projection screen; plenty of seating; games from England, Italy, France and elsewhere every weekend; sub-standard bar food (think cheese-covered nachos at 10 a.m.) and loads of supporters for big games. There's been some grumbling about Lucky's decision to reinstate $10 cover charges for "feature matches" between big clubs, such as yesterday's London derby between Arsenal and Chelsea, but most weekends only require a $10 minimum tab. A side note: Owner Paul Lusty supports Manchester United and Cardiff City. (Click here for the "Soccer Nation" schedule.)

-- Fritz

amnesiac

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
This isn't a done deal is it? Isn't there a chance he'll be going back to Liverpool?