Author Topic: Fantasy Football  (Read 2128 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Fantasy Football
« on: August 24, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
OK, i need about 4 more teams in my yahoo league, draft is this sunday afternoon, 12:45pm

PM me if you want in ... the other players are really active and it'll be a fun league ...

here's the run-down:

buy-in per team is $25, payouts: 50% 1st place, 30% 2nd place, 20% 3rd place

first and foremost, this league is scored based on cumulative points for the whole season, not by weekly head-to-head matchups

i've tweaked the standard yahoo point structure a little bit, but it's nothing too radical ... instead of the standard 50 pass yds and 20 rush/rec yds per point, i'm counting 40 pass yds, 15 rush yds per point, and 10 rec yds per point ... the rest of the rules are the same (6 pts per TD for everyone), except all FGs are worth 3 pts, none of that 4 and 5 pt garbage for long FGs

this basically knocks down the value of the QB a bit (out of the top 10 players in the trad. yahoo! system, 6 or 7 would be QBs) and raises the value of a WR ... if you look at a "top 10" list for my league, you'll see a relatively even mix of RBs, QBs, and WRs

the roster lineup is: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 WR/RB flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 7 bench slots ... if we have more or less teams, I'll adjust the roster spots accordingly ... a deep league like this means you really have to be active in the waivers/free agency and can't just draft a bunch of superstars and ride your team the whole year
(o|o)

vansmack

Re: Fantasy Football
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 12:17:00 pm »
I would, but I'll be out of the country and there's no way I'd do an auto-draft.  Sorry.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
tempted, but already in three football leagues and at least one hockey league. gotta work sometime
o/\o

Shadrach

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
Tweaked a bit? Those are very different numbers from the rosters I've seen as default in every other league I've come accross.

Your talking about 19 rounds of drafting. In a ten person league that's 190 players drafted. Kind of waters down the free agents and waiver wires.

Most leagues I've been in are set up like so: 1 QB, 3 WR's, 2 RB's, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K & 1 DEF. Oh and only 5 or 6 bench positions. Standard point scoring would be 1 point for every 25 yards passing or 10 yards rushing/receiving. As for kicking it makes sense to increase points for long field goals as lond as you give negative points when they miss the short ones.

I can see why you would tweak the points when starting two QB's, but then you should also drop the points for passing TD's to 4.

All that said I'm still interested in joining.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  Tweaked a bit? Those are very different numbers from the rosters I've seen as default in every other league I've come accross.
yes, they are, i run a lot of fantasy leagues and i always tweak the standard setup to better reflect "true value"

Your talking about 19 rounds of drafting. In a ten person league that's 190 players drafted. Kind of waters down the free agents and waiver wires.
well, that's the point ... in most fantasy leagues you simply draft superstars, then sit around and wait to see how they perform ... those who got lucky enough to draft the superstars who have the best seasons wins the league

i find that pretty boring ... i'd much rather be in a deep league where you have to be an active owner and it's essential to surf the FA/waiver wire every week

Most leagues I've been in are set up like so: 1 QB, 3 WR's, 2 RB's, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K & 1 DEF. Oh and only 5 or 6 bench positions.
yes, that is how many leagues are setup, most are usually head-to-head as well ... i think head-to-head, while it can be fun, creates all sorts of problems when trying to determine the best team in the league at the end of the season

here's how i see the roster issue: there are 32 teams in the NFL, meaning there are 32 starting QBs and 64 starting WRs ... my roster setup (probably 10 total teams, 2 starting QBs, 4 starting WRs), means that you really have to follow football and pay close attention to your team if you want to win the league ... everyone will have a QB on their bench for byes and injuries, so the waiver wire will be thin, trust me it's more fun this way

Standard point scoring would be 1 point for every 25 yards passing or 10 yards rushing/receiving. As for kicking it makes sense to increase points for long field goals as lond as you give negative points when they miss the short ones. I can see why you would tweak the points when starting two QB's, but then you should also drop the points for passing TD's to 4.
as you might be able to tell, i'm a bit fanatical about fantasy sports ... i spent a few hours running stats through spreadsheets to come up with these numbers, i've used them the last few seasons in my football leagues and they've been very fair ... just be aware that 10 QBs won't be in the top 15 scorers, it's much more evened-out with this system ... top-producing WRs are also close to top-producing RBs, i can send you a spreadsheet if you'd like

All that said I'm still interested in joining.
we'd love to have you ... like i said before, it's an active league ... i play with most of these guys in baseball, hockey, and basketball and they know their stuff ... we just had a few drop-out this year, so we need some extras

again, draft is sunday 12:45p, anyone can PM me if you're interested
(o|o)

Shadrach

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
I don't know if I agree with your logic, you seem to contradict yourself a bit, but I'm always game for anything fantasy related (minus hockey).

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
  I don't know if I agree with your logic, you seem to contradict yourself a bit, but I'm always game for anything fantasy related (minus hockey).
feel free to hash it out here if you like, i might not have been thinking/writing clearly ... i love talking fantasy sports...
(o|o)

Shadrach

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
Still looking for more players?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 10:23:00 am »
yep, could use 2 more ...
(o|o)

Shadrach

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:21:00 pm »
Come on people play some fantasy football with us.

twelsh737

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
If you are willing to accept someone who has not played FF in about three years and thus might not make for much competition- I am interested

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by tbmtt:
  If you are willing to accept someone who has not played FF in about three years and thus might not make for much competition- I am interested
great, i'm just going to go ahead and post in the sign up info here:

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/register/joinprivateleague

League ID: 238528
 PW: grudenisgod

buy-in per team is $25
 payouts: 50% 1st place, 30% 2nd place, 20% 3rd place

i'm still working on the draft time, will post it here soon
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
as of right now the draft is:

10:30am this Sunday 8/28

it could change though, we're still hammering out the details ... if you're in the league, you'll get the emails about it ...
(o|o)

twelsh737

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
Bad News- can't access the site from work (firewall) - like they expect me to work or something. I will sign up tonight if it is still open.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 02:23:00 pm »
Hey, the hockey fantasy league we have going isn't pay, right? If so, I'm out, I'm morally opposed to gambling.