Author Topic: how is the ottobar?  (Read 15331 times)

andyrichter

how is the ottobar?
« on: February 19, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
i've never been up there.  can you guys tell me a little about it? like how big it is, parking, is the area around the club safe (it is in baltimore), what kind of capacity its got, etc.  thanks.

Sweetjoy

Re: how is the ottobar?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 04:49:00 pm »
I absolutely love the Ottobar, and venture there fairly often. It's pretty decent sized - I'd say at least as big as 930 club, taking all areas of it into consideration. There's a nice high stage, with lots of room to dance in front of it, a balcony, and then a whole back bar area. There's also a whole upstairs with pool tables and such, and usually a whole different theme. There is a free lot behind the club and a decent amount of street parking. Honestly, the area's really not that great...I wouldn't recommend walking around by yourself, but I wouldn't necessarily walk around by 930 club by myself either.<P>Check out the Paper Moon diner while you're right there - it's the best!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andyrichter:<BR><B>i've never been up there.  can you guys tell me a little about it? like how big it is, parking, is the area around the club safe (it is in baltimore), what kind of capacity its got, etc.  thanks.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 05:00:00 pm »
decent sized?  i'd say it's tiny, like balmer venues are wont to be (see fletchers).  there's lots of odd things about the ottobar. . there's a loft to the left of the stage where people can get up to, but you can't stand up there because of the low ceiling, there's a corner below the loft that is pretty open, but without much of a view of the stage, and then there's the backbar area, where you can't see the band, but you can still hear them.  unless you're standing in the area right in front of the stage (which can hold, i don't know, 100 people?), you're gonna be straining to see the stage.<P>upstairs is a good place to hang out, drink some beers and play some pool with the kool kids of balmer
OU812

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 05:07:00 pm »
Ottobar is about as big as the old 9:30 club, which was as big as a shoebox.<P>I didn't even know that the Ottobar had a lot behind it for parking. I just figured that you had to park anywhere on the streets, and give the local bums there a quarter so your car windows don't get smashed.

Sweetjoy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
Dude, it's way bigger than Fletchers. Though I'd definitely agree that there's more limited visibility than, say, 930. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venerable Bede:<BR><B>decent sized?  i'd say it's tiny, like balmer venues are wont to be (see fletchers).  there's lots of odd things about the ottobar. . there's a loft to the left of the stage where people can get up to, but you can't stand up there because of the low ceiling, there's a corner below the loft that is pretty open, but without much of a view of the stage, and then there's the backbar area, where you can't see the band, but you can still hear them.  unless you're standing in the area right in front of the stage (which can hold, i don't know, 100 people?), you're gonna be straining to see the stage.<P>upstairs is a good place to hang out, drink some beers and play some pool with the kool kids of balmer</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

threequartersleeve

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 05:14:00 pm »
I live right near it, and the neighborhood isnt really that bad- there is a big lot behind the building, and onstreet parking all around it. Dont leave valuables visible and exercise a keen "city sense of awareness" and you should be cool.<P>The sight lines are great there- that balcony offers some very unique vantage points to a stage show. I love it up there! I aim for it everytime I get inside.<P>But overall the spaciousness and sound sell it for me.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 05:32:00 pm »
overpriced diner food served up slowly by slackers with bad haircuts...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sweetjoy:<BR><B><P>Check out the Paper Moon diner while you're right there - it's the best!<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Skaboss

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 07:40:00 pm »
Y'all are forgetting the best part about the ottobar, the cheap drinks. I think I was paying about 2.50 for call drinks last time I was there, which is a darn good deal. Then again, B-more as a whole is a bargan for drunks, compared to DC.

andyrichter

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 12:54:00 am »
thanks guys.  i was wondering where can you buy tickets for shows?  i checked ticketmaster and no luck.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 12:58:00 am »
<A HREF="http://www.theottobar.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theottobar.com/[/url] <P>Order online!!! This place is fast becoming my fave to hang out in!

lily1

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 01:36:00 am »
isn't it blue moon diner? there was an article in the new york times, of places, about it, today. well, yesterday, since its after midnight.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sweetjoy:<BR><B>Check out the Paper Moon diner while you're right there - it's the best!<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Sir HC

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 02:32:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lily1:<BR><B>isn't it blue moon diner? there was an article in the new york times, of places, about it, today. well, yesterday, since its after midnight.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Paper moon is right up the street from it.  As is Rocky Run and a great Indian/Burger joint called Tambers.  That is where I would recommend eating, get a malt and Chicken Vindalu.<P>As for the ottobar, it is a million times better than what it was, but it still has issues with a sub-optimal concert going set-up.  It is just a weird room.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 10:20:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir HC:<BR><B> Paper moon is right up the street from it.  As is Rocky Run and a great Indian/Burger joint called Tambers.  That is where I would recommend eating, get a malt and Chicken Vindalu.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ah  Tambers Nifty Fifties Diner... one of those places that makes Baltimore so great.  where else do you find a menu with two pages of  "diner" food and one page of tandoori food.  worth the trip<P>
T.Rex

letters and soda

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2003, 05:50:00 pm »
blue moon is a diner too. it's in fells point. AWESOME breakfast food but plan on waiting if you go there late!!!!!

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
Where specifically are these restaurants? I guess I am asking about Tambers and Blue Moon. I've never been to Fells Point.