Author Topic: Bad Baby Names  (Read 9864 times)

mankie

Re: Bad Baby Names
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB]

I don't know about that, but I read that AT&T was going to fork out 15 million to sponsor Jeff Burton's car for a year, but NASCAR refused to allow it because of their deal with Nextel. NASCAR teams are hurting for sponsor money. Could end up that they don't get enough entrants to fill a 43 car field.

Wouldn't bother me if NASCAR went away completely...it's not like it's real auto racing anyway? Although it's the biggest spectator sport in the country I believe.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2003, 03:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Names I have run across:

Candy Poon (chinese restaurant name on the Time magazine subscription)
A Washington Post small business column once held a "Worst Business Name Contest". The winner was a Chinese restaurant called the Poo Ping Palace.

Here's a  web page with more interesting business names.
😐 🎶

Sir HC

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
There was a Foo King Chinese place on Georgia Ave right by Silver Spring.  Not sure if it is still there.

Always wanted to go there and then I could compare any future Chinese meals as being Foo King good or not.

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
I don't see where any other auto racing in the world is as exciting as NASCAR. Sure, grand prix and indy cars may go faster, but from what I've observed, there is very little passing that goes on with those cars. To me, racing is about passing, which is what NASCAR features.

NASCAR is racing on one of it's two road courses this weekend.  And there's likely to be little passing. Yawn. Sure you can wine ahout the cars only going in circles, but there's ten times as many passes on an oval than a road course.

Originally posted by mankie:

[QB]

I don't know about that, but I read that AT&T was going to fork out 15 million to sponsor Jeff Burton's car for a year, but NASCAR refused to allow it because of their deal with Nextel. NASCAR teams are hurting for sponsor money. Could end up that they don't get enough entrants to fill a 43 car field.

Wouldn't bother me if NASCAR went away completely...it's not like it's real auto racing anyway? Although it's the biggest spectator sport in the country I believe. [/b]

mankie

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2003, 03:31:00 pm »
 [QB] I don't see where any other auto racing in the world is as exciting as NASCAR. Sure, grand prix and indy cars may go faster, but from what I've observed, there is very little passing that goes on with those cars. To me, racing is about passing, which is what NASCAR features.

NASCAR is racing on one of it's two road courses this weekend.  And there's likely to be little passing. Yawn. Sure you can wine ahout the cars only going in circles, but there's ten times as many passes on an oval than a road course.

Opening it up to cars other than American would make it a lot more interesting, but then Americans would never win a race if that happened so that's not going to happen....oh, and a right turn once in a while would help.

mankie

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2003, 03:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  There was a Foo King Chinese place on Georgia Ave right by Silver Spring.  Not sure if it is still there.

Always wanted to go there and then I could compare any future Chinese meals as being Foo King good or not.
Let's not forget the "Cluck You Chicken" places that seem to be on every block on GA ave on the way to the 930.

mankie

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2003, 03:37:00 pm »
In Porstmouth, England there's a pub called the "Fawcette Inn" named after some Admiral Fawcette or something like that. With the local Pompey accent though they say the "Force-it Inn" which always got a giggle.

Celeste

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2003, 03:52:00 pm »
On the South (west) side of Chicago, there is a restaruant called the "Beefstro"...a play on "Bistro"

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2003, 03:53:00 pm »
Keeping the cars American made is part of the NASCAR tradition. And much about NASCAR is about tradition, for better or for worse. Allowing in foreign made cars would be much worse to NASCAR than that designated hitter is to baseball. I know, I'm speaking Greek.

Originally posted by mankie:

[QB] I don't see where any other auto racing in the world is as exciting as NASCAR. Sure, grand prix and indy cars may go faster, but from what I've observed, there is very little passing that goes on with those cars. To me, racing is about passing, which is what NASCAR features.

Opening it up to cars other than American would make it a lot more interesting, but then Americans would never win a race if that happened so that's not going to happen....oh, and a right turn once in a while would help. [/b]

Celeste

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
  Keeping the cars American made is part of the NASCAR tradition. And much about NASCAR is about tradition, for better or for worse...
as much as I hate smoking...I'd prefer they kept it The Winston Cup, too...

hey, then to bring this thread back to baby names what if we name our first child Winston in memory of the cup?

Jaguär

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2003, 04:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Oh yeah....and once on some daytime talkshow (Sally Jessie or Springer or the like)they had a guest and the woman's name was Latrina!
I've known plenty of girls named Latrina.   :roll:  After teaching for many years in the Inner Shitty, I've seen many a weird name! I think the saddest was one of the multiple spellings of Donta. (There must be at least 10 of them.) This poor kid was in Special Ed and I think he was the smart one in the family after meeting his mother and finding out the origin of his name. Ms Dingbat wrote it out for the birth certificate and spelled it something like Dotynae. His teacher had to correct me because I would always say it as it looks. Then I had the pleasure one day of meeting this woman. No wonder this poor boy had problems. One of my favorite classes ever! I miss those boys. If we had more classes like those, we would be so much better off.

Oh, and then there was the totally messed up kid who always had loads and loads of snot running down his face. Another Special Ed case. Think it may have been an inbreeding kind of thing. This class was tough with really whacked out kids and this one was difficult to settle down to work of any kind, let alone use any art supplies without complete messes, dangerous results or just a total waste of extremely minimal supplies. One day I kept hearing all period, after various kinds of trouble, "Bill Clinton did it! Oh! Look what Bill Clinton did!" (Better yet, it was at the height of the Clinton impeachment hearings.) I thought this was a little too astute for these kids and then found out that this kid Bill's last name was Clinton. (Believe it or not, sometimes it's hard as shit to get some kids names in schools when you are the 'Resource' or 'SPAR Teacher'. Yet more insanity in the school system.-But that's another story.) Anyway, I thought that this was funny as anything and felt so sorry for this kid having that namesake.

mankie

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2003, 04:15:00 pm »
I just remembered another name related funny story;

When I went to my wife's association convention I met some of her co-workers obviously. I met one black dude who shook my hand then said, "you're white!" with a surprised look on his face. When he explained it made sense. When we got married my wife kept her own last name, "Jackson" she had mentioned me at work "Leon"...so the black bloke had assumed she had changed her name and so married "Leon Jackson"..How black does that name sound? I guess you had to be there to see the look on his face to get the full humor of the story.

Jaguär

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2003, 04:18:00 pm »
My aunt works in a small town hospital and use to know of a local who worked there named Purdy Outhouse. Wonder if any of those Latrinas are part of his family?

mjnova

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2003, 10:47:00 am »
A friend of mine claimed to know twins named Noway (I dunno the actual spelling) and Jose.  I couldn't believe it be he seemed really really serious about it.

Sir HC

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2003, 10:54:00 am »
Well at my first job someone went to a baptism for a kid named Andre.  But how was it spelled?  Ondrej.  Boss asked her if he thought if she knew how to spell Andre and the answer was no.

My mom works for the WIC program here and she always asks how a name is spelled because there is often no correlation between the phonetic and the actual spelling.  One woman though wouldn't name her child for 6 months until the child came into a name.  That made sense to me.