Author Topic: GUITARISTS/MUSICIANS/DJS: HELP!  (Read 4902 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
GUITARISTS/MUSICIANS/DJS: HELP!
« on: August 24, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
okay guys.  i need mondo help.

a friend of mine is in charge of booking and a bunch of crap for this basement of a church in bethesda that they are trying to turn into a venue.  he does a great job with it. but ANYWAY.
 there is an open mic night on friday, and he's had trouble finding people that can play so i've all of a sudden recieved some "PLEASE PLAY PLEASEEEEEEEE" instant messages.  i'd love to help him out.

so, i sing and have done so in and out of a bunch of bands now for about three years or so.  this is my primary talent.  i also really shittily play guitar (have taught myself to do so, and i don't know chords...it's usually just playing stuff by ear or using tabs).  and i have a friend that i would be playing with that has great piano/keyboard and singing skills.
 so that's that; we'd love to try and pull at least a couple of songs together in the next...well, two days is all we have.

can ANYBODY suggest any songs for me that would fit the following criteria:

- easy to learn and play on guitar.  i.e. a couple of power chords and repetitive
 - acoustic
 - will sound GOOD acoustic (with only vocals, guitar, and keyboard basically.  maybe a cowbell, too)
 - doesn't require drums or bass.  though, drums will be fudged if necessary through silly keyboard drum beats   :)
 - easy piano part or something that can be learned fairly quickly
 - anything that will sound cutesy and good sung by 1-2 girls with sweet voices and silly insturmentals.

any help and suggestions would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.  i have until...friday night.  so.  chop chop!

ggw

Re: GUITARISTS/MUSICIANS/DJS: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 05:27:00 pm »
Stairway to Heaven

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 05:32:00 pm »
Where is the church at?  I work up in Bethesda (as does Markie) and wouldn't mind stopping by if I'm in the area at night.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
I think you would be perfect as the new lead singer of INXS. Try my favorite INXS songs:

This Time
 Don't Change
 Original Sin

Originally posted by you be betty:
  okay guys.  i need mondo help.

a friend of mine is in charge of booking and a bunch of crap for this basement of a church in bethesda that they are trying to turn into a venue.  he does a great job with it. but ANYWAY.
 there is an open mic night on friday, and he's had trouble finding people that can play so i've all of a sudden recieved some "PLEASE PLAY PLEASEEEEEEEE" instant messages.  i'd love to help him out.

so, i sing and have done so in and out of a bunch of bands now for about three years or so.  this is my primary talent.  i also really shittily play guitar (have taught myself to do so, and i don't know chords...it's usually just playing stuff by ear or using tabs).  and i have a friend that i would be playing with that has great piano/keyboard and singing skills.
 so that's that; we'd love to try and pull at least a couple of songs together in the next...well, two days is all we have.

can ANYBODY suggest any songs for me that would fit the following criteria:

- easy to learn and play on guitar.  i.e. a couple of power chords and repetitive
 - acoustic
 - will sound GOOD acoustic (with only vocals, guitar, and keyboard basically.  maybe a cowbell, too)
 - doesn't require drums or bass.  though, drums will be fudged if necessary through silly keyboard drum beats    :)  
 - easy piano part or something that can be learned fairly quickly
 - anything that will sound cutesy and good sung by 1-2 girls with sweet voices and silly insturmentals.

any help and suggestions would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.  i have until...friday night.  so.  chop chop!

you be betty

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 05:59:00 pm »
hahaha.  i'd LOVE to be the new singer in INXS.
 the church is at cordell and...something...and it's free...

i'm not going to give any more details until i know fo'sho' that we can do this thing...  ;)

SPARX

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 06:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yutaka Fukufuji, Japanese Goalie:
  I think you would be perfect as the new lead singer of INXS.  
[/QB][/QUOTE]
 My bet is that title will go to Mig or JD

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:32:00 pm »
Louie Louie
 Wild Thing

Both are the same pattern (you can change key to your liking) 1-4-5-4-1.  Party songs, any accompiment works for them.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 08:44:00 pm »
Any Ramones ballad.  My fave is Questioningly.

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:36:00 pm »
Drop some Kum Ba Yah on that congregation.

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 11:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hello, My Name is Chaz:
  Any Ramones ballad.  My fave is Questioningly.
Hahahaha "I once had knew."

you be betty

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 12:23:00 am »
hahaha.  i'm actually jewish so there will be NIL religious ballads.

so far we've got down Sword by Rilo Kiley and Wow by Snow Patrol...

Wild Thing would be REALLYFUN and i'd love to do a ramones song; but unfortunately my friend has never really gotten into them...ever.
 i really wanted to do an acoustic Beat on the Brat...that would be so fun...oh well.
 there's always next time; we've got such short notice now that we're lucky enough to already have two that are good to go.

but we've got all day tomorrow, too.  so please keep the suggestions coming and thanks a bunch...

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:34:00 am »
There's got to be one ramones song that anyone would like.

you be betty

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:35:00 am »
she LIKES it; she's just never really heard any of it.

she was kind of a victim of bad pop music until i took her under my wing and became a savior...

you be betty

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 12:36:00 am »
...and her musical transformation has not spanned quite yet over the ramones...

dlcjr1775

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 03:45:00 am »
Stick to 3 chord punk...the kids love it.....