Author Topic: Albums & Places  (Read 5473 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Albums & Places
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 03:43:00 pm »
I was living in Rome, Italy in the summers for 1991 and 1992...the following LPs never fail to remind me of being there:

The Farm -- Spartacus
 The Pixies -- Planet of Sound EP
 Inspiral Carpets -- Island Head EP
 Pet Shop Boys -- Discography
 New Order -- Technique (I picked this up in 1991)
 Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine -- 1992 the Love Album
 Manic Street Preachers -- Generation Terrorists

And on my trip to the island of Ischia I listened a TON to The La's record.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
New Tradionalists, by Devo reminds me of Dana Point, CA.  The OC, where I was living at the time it came out.  I had a Sony cassette Walkman, one of the first models.  I used to listen to that album when I was walking along the footpath next to the flood canal.

ratioci nation

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ellis D. Fleischbach:
  New Tradionalists, by Devo reminds me of Dana Point, CA.  The OC, where I was living at the time it came out.  I had a Sony cassette Walkman, one of the first models.  I used to listen to that album when I was walking along the footpath next to the flood canal.
that reminds me, Van Halen - 5150, Hilton Head Island Summer of 1986, the first tape my brothers and I had to share on the families first walkman

saco

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 03:55:00 pm »
Whenever I hear Yaz's Upstairs at Erics it brings me back to the fall of 88; my first year in college in West Palm Beach and the girl I dated..

Big KC

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »
New York, New York reminds me of New York -

though i've never been there...

muschi

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
depeche mode 'halo' - providence, ri 1990

jd930

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
Nothing's Shocking - Janes' Addiction
 Hup! - The Wonderstuff
 Doolittle - The Pixies

Those 3 remind me of Gilbert dorm '89 - '90 at the University of Delaware.

Violent Femmes - s/t: reminds me of closing down the kitchen at the Bowie Sizzler with that cassette blasting through the restaurant. Good times.

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 04:47:00 pm »
Great Topic.  I could this for a while too, but I'll throw out a couple of highlights from when I was a growing up:

Fleetwood Mac - "Rumors" and John Stewart (notice the spelling, not that Jon Stewart) - "California Bloodlines" and "The Phoenix Concerts" will always remind me of the family summer drives to Oregon in the motorhome in the late 70's early 80's.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "One More ^ From the Road" will always remind me of my drunken dad late at night in Orange County doing air guitar until my mom yelled from the top of the stairs to turn it down, which he did, until the 11 minute version of Free Bird came on, and the volume knob went through the roof.  Always a silent morning after that, and you could feel the tension.  Good times.  

U2's The Joshua Tree will always remind me of the drive through central CA on the way to Mammoth.

Van Morrison's "Moondance" will always remind me of a train ride from Cork to Dublin when I was leaving Ireland, moving back to the states.

A couple more recent examples, any Jimmy Buffet reminds of a girl I dated who's family had a boat in Crisfield, MD.

And, like Pollard, The Postal Service will always remind me of the winter in DC.
27>34

hostiledm

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 05:15:00 pm »
skinny puppy - last rights.

winter 1992, ocean city, on acid.

pj

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
Squeeze- Singles 45 and under

Reminds me of my sister taking me to school in her Honda Accord in the late '80s. It was one of the only things she listened to that I actually liked at the time.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 06:21:00 pm »
poster children's junior citizen reminds me of driving through southern new mexico and southern arizona on my way back to the bay area for summer during college.  it was always the cd i played right before hitting the arizona line on I-10.
OU812

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 06:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ellis D. Fleischbach:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Nyet
Securities fraud? [/b]
Nah... he was the warden there.

Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking is a Portland, Ore., album for me.

Luna's Penthouse reminds me of Dewey Beach summer of '95 when I subjected all those Miller Lite cheeseballs to it.

I listened to Grandaddy's Sumday constantly while traveling in Cambodia and whenever I put it on, I'm totally transported back there, which is much cheaper than United Airlines.
oword

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 08:02:00 pm »
For some strange reason whenever I listen to OH NO! IT'S DEVO I think about Santa Anna, CA.  I had to take the bus there a couple of times to go to some employment training center.  I had just gotten the tape of OH NO!  I remember that after I left the job center I walked all around downown Santa Anna listening to that.  Go figure.

Random Citizen

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 05:18:00 am »
Yield - Pearl Jam...reminds me of my time in Europe. I bought Yield while in Paris and listened to it as I traveled to Amsterdam by train. I'll never forget listening to "Low Light" while looking out the window and seeing huge fields of tulips in a variety of colors.

Fear - Toad the Wet Sprocket...takes me back to high school in Baltimore County.

Gold - Ryan Adams...reminds me of my trip to Boston about a month after 9/11 and my old apartment in DC.

Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA...2003, seeing the band 8 times that year, meeting some really cool fans up and down the East Coast and shaking Nick Oliveri's hand.   :o

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
Thee Hypnotics -Come Down Heavy -- The front porch in the summertime in Richmond Va 1990.  

Husker Du - Zen Arcade -- My bedroom 1985-1987.

Cop Shoot Cop - Ask Questions Later -- My apartment on Arch Street in Philly, 1994-95.  Dark times for me....

Rhinestone Cowboy by Niel Diamond - Bethany Beach 1977 or so??

That's a few.