Author Topic: Orpheus records  (Read 3855 times)

bellenseb

Orpheus records
« on: February 24, 2004, 12:10:00 pm »
Just curious if anyone had thoughts on Orpheus Records in Clarendon. I stopped by the other week hoping to find some 60s folk on vinyl, and they had plenty, but their prices were insane! Tim Hardin records with sleeves in pretty poor condition were going for $18... I have to wonder how this guy stays in business. Maybe there are vinyl hounds who pay those prices, though.

Mongo

Re: Orpheus records
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
Yeah, I went a bought a few records a week ago.  It's kinda hit or miss.  There is shit all over the place and if you are looking for something specific you should probably ask for it because sifting through everything can take a while.  The guy who was working the day I went was really helpful though.  Yeah, prices can be high-ish, but I don't certainly don't mind supporting a local shop, especially if they have something I want.  BTW if you are looking for new CDs don't bother.  I think all they have is used cds.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
A quick look at www.gemm.com shows Tim Hardin LPs going for anywhere from $5.00 to $200.00 depending on the album.  Most albums seem to run between $20 and $50, so maybe Orpheus isn't far off.

The prices aren't bargain basement, but in my experience, they are fair.  If you are buying more than a couple of records, he will usually deal.  And the selection can't be beat (at least around here).

G.Love

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
 I have to wonder how this guy stays in business.  
He's been doing it since the late 70's and early 80's when Orpheus was located in Georgetown.  

I bought my original Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland record with the nude ladies cover.  Man talk about a find as a horny pre-teen!!!!