Author Topic: Black Cat Shows  (Read 17646 times)

Jaguär

Re: Black Cat Shows
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:

Originally posted by walkman:
 The first two come highly recommended by yours truly, while the other two come highly recommended by my arty, chain-smoking, all-black wearing, piercing-ful friend.  So there you go.

P.S.  You can sorta dance to Black Eyes.
you can sorta make out to black eyes too.. [/b]
No offense to anyone or to Black Eyes. I know you guys really like them and are, in some cases, even friends with the band....but all I can do is RUN from Black Eyes!

Sorry, I just HATE Screamo....and they do that well.

Captain Jack

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2003, 06:24:00 pm »
what are you saying Paige, you won't cuddle with me at the Locust?

paige

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2003, 06:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Captain Jack:
  what are you saying Paige, you won't cuddle with me at the Locust?
baby im saving a spot just for you   ;)

Captain Jack

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2003, 06:30:00 pm »
Paige, you'll forever keep my hopes up, and also always be there for me to whine to about how hope sucks.

paige

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2003, 06:56:00 pm »
  Paige, you'll forever keep my hopes up, and also always be there for me to whine to about how hope sucks.
the beautifully twisted dichotomy of our bro'ship.

paige

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2003, 06:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  No offense to anyone or to Black Eyes. I know you guys really like them and are, in some cases, even friends with the band....but all I can do is RUN from Black Eyes!

psssh i WISH i were friends with them.

thirsty moore

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2003, 10:51:00 am »
Unless The Ruins were from the late 70's, they are nowhere near being the originators of no-wave.  You can check out a compilation called "No New York" with bands such as Teenage Jesus and The Jerks, Mars, DNA, James Chance and the Contortions, etc.  As much as I'm glad that this music is making a comeback, it isn't all that original.

- The Ruins - Japanese brutal prog, originators of no-wave.

walkman

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:

Originally posted by Jaguär:

psssh i WISH i were friends with them. [/b]
I once helped Hugh build a mobile styrofoam chicken.  Does that count?

walkman

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Unless The Ruins were from the late 70's, they are nowhere near being the originators of no-wave.  You can check out a compilation called "No New York" with bands such as Teenage Jesus and The Jerks, Mars, DNA, James Chance and the Contortions, etc.  As much as I'm glad that this music is making a comeback, it isn't all that original.

[/b]
To be fair, The Ruins have been around for almost 20 years...although seeing as Arto Lindsay just turned 50, they're still a bunch of kids in comparison.

Oh yeah, and that compilation is really good.

paige

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2003, 07:43:00 am »
  I once helped Hugh build a mobile styrofoam chicken.  Does that count?
of course it does, walkie. i talked to some of the guys at black cat... guess that doesn't count though. i mean, styrofoam chicken vs. smoky-room conversation? you win.

thirsty moore

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2003, 10:54:00 am »
I take back what I said then.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:

[/b]
To be fair, The Ruins have been around for almost 20 years...although seeing as Arto Lindsay just turned 50, they're still a bunch of kids in comparison.

Oh yeah, and that compilation is really good. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2003, 09:44:00 am »
speaking of no new wave from nyc... checkout Downtown 81 which is currently showing on Sundance.  it's basically Jean-Michel Basquiat wandering around nyc interacting with various scenesters and includes performances by DNA, Tuxedomoon, Kid Creole and the Coconuts, James Black,and The Plastics.

i only caught part of it, but it's interesting little film that was only just finished in 2000. Hence the website.

www.downtown81.com
T.Rex

plateauxofmirror

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2003, 01:52:00 pm »
I've never been to the Black Cat before but was thinking about heading there this Thursday for the Fall show.

I was wondering what time their shows usually end on weekdays, plus if they've got a parking lot nearby (like the 9:30's).

Thankssssssss

Bags

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »
No parking as in a parking lot, and their shows tend to run later than the 9:30s.  They don't seem to care if you make the metro or not (though is that still an issue with the expanded hours?).

Typically, if there's one opening band, they'll go on around 9, with the headliner at 10.  But if there are two openers, the headliner can go on as late as 10:30, 11:00.

plateauxofmirror

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2003, 01:57:00 pm »
The problem with taking the Metro is that it doesn't really run that late and I've heard horror stories of (suburbanite) friendlies getting stuck in Generic Bad Neighborhood in NW and being scared out of their minds.

Is it generally that hard finding parking around the place?