Author Topic: Best Dance Parties?  (Read 2751 times)

hooknew22

Best Dance Parties?
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »
I figured cool people browse here and I need some suggestions.  Where are your favorite dance parties, that you can just go to and dance to songs you know and love?  Even if they are cheesy, horrible and top 40 (gasp).  I like house music as much as the next girl but not for dancing.  Crap DC was the best time I've had in DC in awhile, I crave a similar atmosphere on a more regular basis.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Re: Best Dance Parties?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »
Sorry, I'm not cool enough to dance.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »
but you are cool enough to point out that fact, so bonus hipster points for you    :)  

as for dance party suggestions, you might want to check out Blowoff at the club (next one on Sat june 9 - Pride weekend!) or generally keep your eye on this bboard - various promoters/organizers announce their events here.  wasn't there a Het (whatever) night of scando-rock coming up?

has anyone ever been to a Blowoff?
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Sorry, I'm not cool enough to dance.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm too cool to dance.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »
It's a shame Rhett set the tone with this thread early...

my favorite is Bliss, which is a monthly indie-pop dance night.  I also like the Wag (60s garage/soul) but seldom go because I don't know anyone else who is into it.   You say you want to hear familiar tunes, so I guess that would depend on what you like.  More details, pliz.
_\|/_

hooknew22

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »
I like indie pop, top-40, classic rock, I'm a big RJD2 person so that kind of DJ I'm into, old-school hip hop, I like all kinds of stuff.

Good hints so far, thx!

SalParadise

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by hooknew22:
   I'm a big RJD2 person so that kind of DJ I'm into, old-school hip hop, I like all kinds of stuff.

Good hints so far, thx!
check the saint-ex website for whenever DJ DK plays (if he still plays there). excellent dj.. and he covers all that golden era hip-hop stuff. nice guy too.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by hooknew22:
 old-school hip hop
DJ Dredd is one of the best old-school hip hop DJs in town ... his "Uncle Q's Living Room" party at the old Blue Room was fantastic, not sure if he's doing a regular gig now
(o|o)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:00 am »
mousetrap, the britpop dance night at the black cat is always my favorite. lots of blur, bloc party, things that also aren't british (i.e. the killers) but still dancy as hell. but then again i'm also younger and it tends to attract a younger crowd.

also, the smiths vs. the cure dance nights are pretty fun too.
nothx

jd930

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 08:51:00 am »
I have always had a great time at Mousetrap as well.  There is an excellent vibe between the DJ and the crowd...makes it a blast.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:22:00 am »
why can't I find people that like to go to these dance nights? my friends are the type who go to H2O and sing "this is why I'm hot, I'm hot cause I'm fly you aint cuz you not"
xoxo

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by 6949:
  why can't I find people that like to go to these dance nights? my friends are the type who go to H2O and sing "this is why I'm hot, I'm hot cause I'm fly you aint cuz you not"
you may need to look into getting some new friends.
nothx

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
 has anyone ever been to a Blowoff?
Blowoff has turned into a big gay circuit-type party, but the music is a little better and there are more bear-types than you'd find at Nation.  It's fun, but it ain't what it used to be.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 10:26:00 am »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:

you may need to look into getting some new friends. [/b]
Nah, knowing about such things as the  walk it out dance or themotorcycle dance makes me feel younger.
xoxo

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

Originally posted by miss pretentious:

you may need to look into getting some new friends. [/b]
Nah, knowing about such things as the  walk it out dance or themotorcycle dance makes me feel younger. [/b]
but what about chicken noodle soup? (with a soda on the side)
nothx