Author Topic: Ra Ra Riot News - Drummer Found Dead  (Read 2054 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Ra Ra Riot News - Drummer Found Dead
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:58:00 am »
This is awful news - they were currently on tour with Tokyo Police Club. And apparently had lots of other stuff in the works.

http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2007/05/10/FrontPage/Ra.Ra.Riot.Drummer.Found.Dead-2911230.shtml

June 3, 8:33 P.M. - John Pike, drummer for Ra Ra Riot, a band comprised of SU students and graduates, was found dead this afternoon, according to U.K. music magazine NME's Web site.

Pike, a 2006 Syracuse University graduate, was reported missing late Friday night after leaving a house party at about 3 a.m. in Fairhaven, Mass. His body was found Sunday in Buzzard's Bay, located near the house.

Fairhaven Police Department officials contacted by The Daily Orange were unavailable for comment Sunday.

Pike, 23, attended the party after playing a show in Providence, R.I., the first of a 17-city tour that was scheduled to end Aug. 12 in Cambridge, Mass. Ra Ra Riot was also planned to perform at Monolith Festival on Sept. 14 with The Flaming Lips, The Decemberists, Spoon and other bands.

The status of the band's tour and festival performance were unknown at presstime.

A search began Saturday afternoon, led by Fairhaven police, Fairhaven Fire Department, other local departments, the U.S. Coast Guard and state police, according to The Standard-Times of New Bedford, Mass.

The band posted about Pike's disappearance on its MySpace page Saturday at 10:04 p.m., urging those near the Fairhaven area to aid in the search.

Pike and the band had just completed a series of shows in London and at the South by Southwest Music Festival earlier this year. Its most recent performance at SU was in Schine Student Center's Underground on March 21.
HeyLa

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: Ra Ra Riot News - Drummer Found Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:03:00 am »
this is awful.
 they were scheduled to play down here at the RNR Hotel in August and i was really looking forward to that show. oh man.
nothx

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:11:00 am »
the ra ra riot page has already been updated with an r.i.p for their drummer and scores of their top friends have since changed their myspace photos to include photos of pike.

an updated story with only a brief mention of the band...

FAIRHAVEN â?? After an extensive two-day search, a police dive team Sunday located what is believed to be the body of John Pike, the 23-year-old Hamilton man who disappeared after walking away from a Sconticut Neck house party early Saturday.

The body was found about 4:10 p.m. off Wilbur's Point in about 7 feet of water, 150 to 200 yards from where Mr. Pike's cellphone was found Saturday afternoon, according to Fire Chief Tim Francis.

The chief said the clothing on the body matches what Mr. Pike was wearing when he walked away from the house party.

"It's pretty clear it is him," Chief Francis told the media at a press conference outside the Fairhaven police station. The chief was substituting for Police Chief Gary F. Souza, who was coordinating police activities at Wilbur's Point.

Colleen Stone of Centerville, the victim's aunt, said her nephew is a 2006 magna cum laude graduate of Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Public Communications.

"He's the pride and joy of our family," she said.

She said he was a member of a band, based in New Jersey, and had played at The Living Room, a Providence night club, on Friday night.

She described her nephew as a "cautious" young man, who did not like the water.

She said he was supposed to attend a graduation party at her home at 5 p.m. on Saturday and was excited and looking forward to attending. She said the family became worried sometime later Saturday when he did not attend and did not call.

"He would have called us," she said.

Chief Francis said the body was spotted by one of the boats involved in the search.

Although there has been no determination of foul play, Chief Francis said police are treating it like a crime scene. He explained this is protocol when there is "an unwitnessed death."

He said authorities took video and photos at the scene and samples from the water around the body and the soil under it.

He said the District Attorney's Office and the medical examiner's office were contacted and that an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

Chief Souza, in an interview earlier Sunday, said Mr. Pike's Blackberry cell phone was found by a Nelson Avenue resident about 3 p.m. Saturday in shallow water on the west side of Wilbur's Point.

He said it was low tide when the phone was found and also low tide when Mr. Pike was last seen.

The chief said Mr. Pike attended a house party at 19 Nakata Ave., early Saturday with a fellow member of the band who lives in Fairhaven.

No one was home at 19 Nakata Ave. Sunday afternoon when a reporter went to the house.

Mr. Pike's girlfriend received a text message from him, telling her he loved her, Chief Souza said. "There was nothing indicative that something was amiss at that point," he said.

Chief Souza said Sunday afternoon, before the body was found, that it was troubling to him that Mr. Pike had not used either his credit cards or his bank card and that the Hamilton man was unfamiliar with the area.

He said authorities searched from 4 to 8 p.m. on Saturday and from 7 a.m. until the body was found Sunday.

On Sunday, authorities conducted searches on the water and over land. Chief Souza said eight boats and 18 divers were involved in the marine search.

Divers from the Southeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council, a consortium of police departments from 22 cities and towns, participated.

Search dogs from the Dartmouth and the Westport police departments, and the Bristol County Sheriff's Office searched wooded areas, fields and marshes. Also, several Rhode Island departments, who were training at the House of Correction in Dartmouth, joined the search as part of their training.

The total law enforcement complement involved in Sunday's search was about 50 officers and deputies, Chief Souza said.
nothx

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
OH NO! This is so horrible. I was literally JUST talking about Ra Ra Riot last night with this kid on the Chinatown bus who said he knew the drummer/singer (he went to SU as well). My condolences to his family and friends.   :(
Woof.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  this is awful.
 they were scheduled to play down here at the RNR Hotel in August and i was really looking forward to that show. oh man.
hope that you were able to see them before that date. they put on one hell of a show and sounded better with each show.

and ironically enough, i was talking about them yesterday with a friend of mine saying how excited i was to be seeing them yet again with tokyo police club. awful awful news  :(
HeyLa

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  this is awful.
hope that you were able to see them before that date. they put on one hell of a show and sounded better with each show. [/b]
unfortunately no, i wasn't able to see them, i was really looking forward to the rnr show too. argh.
nothx

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:56:00 am »
wow that's crazy ... my friend was dating one of the girls in the band, i'll see if i can get any insider info
(o|o)

RustyOrgan

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »
Wh Wh Who gives a shit?

alex

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by RustyOrgan:
  Wh Wh Who gives a shit?
Probably a few more people than actually give a shit about you.