Author Topic: BigYawn.net - RIP?  (Read 2457 times)

nkotb

BigYawn.net - RIP?
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:59:00 am »
Do you guys remember BigYawn.net?  Looks like things are running a little slower than usual over there:

Last update: May 1st

Last new column: April 3rd

Last new review: March 12th

Is redsock still around?  That's an insane gap in updates...

brennser

Re: BigYawn.net - RIP?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
he's still around - I got an email from him last night....

Darth Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »
I've been wondering the same thing. I've always liked BigYawn.net, and I hope it comes back soon.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »
He's definitely around; I got a PM from him a couple weeks ago.
احمد

redsock

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »
Aw guys, I'm so touched you noticed/cared. Funny someone mentioned this today, as I am working on a message for the site as we speak. Truth be told, I had a ton of personal issues this Spring, that have directly affected every aspect of my life. And BY took a direct hit. I seriously had to re-think how to even operate the site anymore.

The solution is to come back more DC-centric, along the lines of brooklynvegan and musicslut are for NYC, chromewaves is for Toronto, etc. I think I always had some grandiose scheme of competing with the big Review sites, but that just seems stupid. It finally occurred to me that you can really focus on local content and still cover big news; those sites above being perfect examples.

So, expect BY to come back slowly this week, more formally next. It will seem more like a blog perhaps, with additional writers posting on the main page. But we will still have CD reviews, band interviews, and a lot more local concert coverage. It won't be as formulaic as it used to be, but in the end I think that is a good thing.

It has kind of surprised me that people actually cared about BY -- even the maybe 10 people i've heard from -- actually gives you hope that all the time and energy you've spent on stuff is actually going towards something.

Along those same lines, it is very worth mentioning that BY will be promoting a lot more shows for the rest of this year. The who what and where all tbd, but we've already got some stuff in the works. And, it is extremely worth mentioning that DAM! Festival 2007 is coming in October. Big plans in the work, some big meetings this week. All I can confirm for you are the core dates, October 11-13. Much, much more to be announced, expect something official sooner than later.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »
So are you still dating Exit Clov?

redsock

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
Alas, I am not. And while I'm sure that opens me up to a ton of "I knew she was nailing the drummer" jokes, 4 1/2 years is nothing to joke about, so please be kind. We are still close, they will have a lot to do with the festival etc, etc.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that. 4.5 years is a long time. I'm sure you'll have many fond memories to carry with you forever.

Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
Alas, I am not. And while I'm sure that opens me up to a ton of "I knew she was nailing the drummer" jokes, 4 1/2 years is nothing to joke about, so please be kind. We are still close, they will have a lot to do with the festival etc, etc. [/b]

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »
Rough go.  Been there myself this year as well.  Good luck with the upcoming DAM fest.

Alas, I am not. And while I'm sure that opens me up to a ton of "I knew she was nailing the drummer" jokes, 4 1/2 years is nothing to joke about, so please be kind. We are still close, they will have a lot to do with the festival etc, etc.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Rough go.  Been there myself this year as well.  Good luck with the upcoming DAM fest.

[/b]
So does that mean you're both available???   ;)   ;)

thirsty moore

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »
Why, do you have someone in mind?

Originally posted by le sonick:
  So does that mean you're both available???    ;)     ;)  

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »
is this some kind of drama? I wanna know about it!   :p
(_|_)

ggw

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »
Get over it Redsock -- Asian chicks are sooooo passe.  Latinas are the arm candy du jour.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Get over it Redsock -- Asian chicks are sooooo passe.  Latinas are the arm candy du jour.
oohhh glad to hear this. i have to share this with a friend of mine here (NYC) who prefers asian chicks. oh the things ive heard and would have rather never heard.

alas - ive moved onto indian men. its not going well so maybe next should be hispanic/latino men  :)
HeyLa

thirsty moore

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
Funny you mention that.  A very good friend of mine's married to a Latina.  Another friend of mine is seriously dating a Latina.

They've since introduced me to a Mexican woman.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢: