Author Topic: Lala 2.0  (Read 6736 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Lala 2.0
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
Theres lots of press on the launch of the new version, but the bottom line is that they are spending lots of money to enable users to listen to full length versions of albums for free on top of the ability to trade CDs and get great prices on new.

Remember the thread a couple months ago about which persons record collection you'd like to checkout?  Well with Lala 2.0 not only can you look but you can also listen now.  For instance I was listening to a couple albums for NKOTB's collection to.

Obviously not everything is available at the moment but here is what I've listened to in their entirety the past couple of days all with extra fees, banner ads, etc.

New Elliot Smith, BRMC, Stooges, Richard Thompson, Charotte Gainsbourgh, Teddybears, Peter Bjorn and John, and Jarvis Cocker.

The systems not perfect, have no sense of how well the new iPod support works, the online digital locker is a bit of work in progress.  

Need an invite a couple of us here can hook you up...

The systems not perfect,
T.Rex

nkotb

Re: Lala 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:50:00 am »
I noticed the changes but haven't had a chance to poke around too much yet.  SO far, though, I've been griping that I can't find some of the links that I had before.  

It used to be so easy to find out what you've shipped and what you haven't.  I do miss the ease of that, but the full-length listening is awesome.  One of my uses for Lala is to give a shot to albums I always wanted to check out.  If they were good, great; if not, you can always re-trade them.  This seems like it might save me some money!

And ditto on what Kosmo said on the invites.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:52:00 am »
i tend to buy a lot a music and do prefer to get real cds as opposed to digital downloads from itunes... is this for me?
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:55:00 am »
I'd say yes, although if you're lookign for new releases, you might be disappointed.

I've used it mostly for filling in gaps in my collection.  I've had almost no trouble is getting older CDs at all; its the newer releases that tend to not be traded a lot.  But you do get real CDs with artwork if you choose that option, you get to get rid of CDs that you may not want to keep, and it's cheap...$1.75 for each disc you receive.

I'd recommend it to anyone that's obsessed...and most of us here seem to fit into that category.

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  i tend to buy a lot a music and do prefer to get real cds as opposed to digital downloads from itunes... is this for me?

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  I'd say yes, although if you're lookign for new releases, you might be disappointed.

I've used it mostly for filling in gaps in my collection.  I've had almost no trouble is getting older CDs at all; its the newer releases that tend to not be traded a lot.  But you do get real CDs with artwork if you choose that option, you get to get rid of CDs that you may not want to keep, and it's cheap...$1.75 for each disc you receive.

I'd recommend it to anyone that's obsessed...and most of us here seem to fit into that category.

[/b]
is it diffuclt to get rid of old discs?
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:05:00 am »
Depends...I've been surprised at some of the stuff of mine that's gone fast (singles, in particular), and likewise with things that haven't.  I usually have a pretty steady flow of CDs shipping out, though, so it seems fairly easy to me.

For the most part, I had to do some house cleaning due to space.  Most CD singles and EPs went bye bye through Lala (not before being ripped into iTunes, though!), and other random things that I just didn't listen to any longer.  In the year plus that I've been using it, I don't think I've ever had a problem with no one requesting my discs.

is it diffuclt to get rid of old discs?

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:09:00 am »
well...it sounds like it may be up my alley. so i guess the next logical step would be to ask pretty please for an invite?
nothx

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
NKTOB if you click the trade link on the home page stats bar it takes you directly into trading history.  

I'm in a serious lala lull at the moment, but am also not shipping out stuff which spurs the in bounds to increase.  Have a bunch of tower fodder still to burn through, but many of my obvious duplicates or castoffs are gone.

It's not so go for new, but filling in the gaps and  getting lesser known "indie" from the last couple of years can be rewarding.  Virtually anything popular from 90s alternative rock can be instantly acquired, but not so easy to get the ship request for.
T.Rex

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
consider me la la's (thanks andy)

currently building my 'have it' list. will download the componant when i'm not at work... i'm hoping it's mac compatible?
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:47:00 am »
I know, I know...but it hasn't become second nature yet.  It still takes me a few minutes to remember.

I do not adapt easily to change.

Originally posted by kosmo:
  NKTOB if you click the trade link on the home page stats bar it takes you directly into trading history.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »
OU812

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
lala has officially shipped me my first cd. hooray.
nothx

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:41:00 am »
nkotb - so are you getting your free t-shirt? i just sent out my first two CDs this morning... master p 'ghetto d' and hot hot heat 'elevator.'

ha.
nothx

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »
 master p 'ghetto d'
absolutely unrelated to lala:

if anyone ever finds a video by master p and the 504 boyz that features a large pierced and tattooed bartender, i would love to see it.  it would be at least 5 years old.  i have no idea what the song is called.  the video is eerily similar to the offspring's "pretty fly for a white guy" concept.  goofy white kid surrounded by scary freaky clubgoers.

nkotb

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »
Usually it takes about a month or so.  I think it officially gets sent once the person I recommended to the site gets their first bill.  Either way, I'm psyched!  Thanks again!

nkotb - so are you getting your free t-shirt? i just sent out my first two CDs this morning... master p 'ghetto d' and hot hot heat 'elevator.'

ha.