Author Topic: The Mars Volta Show  (Read 2175 times)

ggw

The Mars Volta Show
« on: October 21, 2003, 12:30:00 am »
Outfuckingstanding

ThinkXVIII

Re: The Mars Volta Show
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 01:31:00 am »
I was impressed, but I knew all along, that they were the real deal. I have some pretty good pictures, and a recording on my cell phone.

paige

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 09:14:00 am »
noooooooooooooooooooooo. please please send me pictures. i am so jealous of all of you.

PR_GMR

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Damn it. I went down there to redeem my Supergrass ticket and hung outside waiting for people to sell any extra tickets. I wasn't johnny-on-the-spot with the few who sold theirs. Got back and drove home. Ugh. Missed a good show.. just look at ggw's reaction.   :cool:

eddie rabbit

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
yeah i was sceptical when i first brought tickets...well...even when the album first came out as to if they could pull it off live...after seeing them though, i have come to the realization that they are one of the most important and exciting bands around....and those of us who were at the show, not to rub it in, are real lucky
 to see them at this point because i think their shows are going to get a lot bigger than the 930 club can hold.....

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 12:56:00 pm »
November 10 at the Fillmore.  Thanks for the heads up fella's.  I'm stoked if GGW and eddie rabbit say it's a not miss show.
27>34

suicidal2af

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 06:50:00 pm »
I would have to agree, that was a fucking AMAZING show.  It was my first time seeing them live, and I heard from a friend that they were great...but wow.  I did NOT expect that much excellency.

Oh, and on a side note, I'd much appreciate it if you could send me the pictures...I have some webspace I'd like to toss 'em up on.

If only I didn't have to work tonight, I'd be in philly seeing them :/

mongrelarchitect

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 07:45:00 pm »
hey buddy please send me the pictures too
 i'd say the highlight was cicatriz? who wit me?

mongrelarchitect

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 08:03:00 pm »
what about the setlist?
 can't remember if they played roulette dares
 anybody?

Bentoneria

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 08:22:00 pm »
anyone remember the opening guy's name?

walkman

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 08:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bentoneria:
  anyone remember the opening guy's name?
Saul Williams.

suicidal2af

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 11:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by mongrelarchitect:
  what about the setlist?
 can't remember if they played roulette dares
 anybody?
I don't remember everything they played, but I know they opened with roulette dares.  IIRC, they also played drunkship of lanterns, tira me a las aranas, televators, cicatriz esp, and take the veil cerpin taxt.  They also played 2 or 3 songs in the middle of cicatriz esp's instrumental, which may have been all of tremulant, but to be honest with you, i was so enthralled during cicatriz that i don't really remember much after "I've defected".

Overall, the ONLY thing that could have made it better imho would have been opening with son et lumiere into inertiatic esp.  But it's still the best live show I've ever seen, regardless.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 11:24:00 pm »
Are they still doing those lonnnng solos/jamming sessions in the middle of every song?

suicidal2af

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 12:33:00 pm »
Yep, that's one of the things that makes me love them =)

ggw

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 01:10:00 pm »
Since the show was unanimously praised by all the concert-goers, one can predict the Post's take on the show:

Mars Volta: No Blastoff Here

Wednesday, October 22, 2003; Page C07

"De-Loused in the Comatorium," the debut album by the Mars Volta, is considerably more bombastic than the work of band founders Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler Zavala's previous outfit, At the Drive-In.

But the sextet's performance at a sold-out 9:30 club Monday night ventured far beyond the album. The band flamboyantly melded -- or, frequently, failed to meld -- elements of hard-core punk, psychedelic rock and free jazz.

There was no doubt that the chaos was deliberate. Most often, the band contrasted hippie-rock's spacey indulgence with punk's spastic energy. The musicians were fully capable of locking into a dub or funk-punk groove, but did so only occasionally. The current version of the Mars Volta (a band whose lineup has remained in flux) may be the least syncopated two-percussionist combo ever.

At the center of the storm were Zavala's high-pitched vocals and convulsive stage moves and Rodriguez-Lopez's agile but unmelodic guitar solos. If that sounds like a forbidding combination, it was. The Mars Volta demonstrated skill and power, but almost no warmth.

-- Mark Jenkins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61949-2003Oct21.html