Author Topic: 1 hour of EITS?  (Read 3838 times)

Chulahoma

Re: 1 hour of EITS?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
On another note, did anyone hear that guy who yelled "go back to texas"? That annoyed the hell out of me.
yeah i heard it.  i hate assholes like him.

lukiedookie89

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »
It was a cool show.  I loved the energy of the band, especially during their last song.  Kind of suprising, given their music.  I almost expected them to look bored.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »
someone complaining that they only played an hour? Wasn´t it just $10??  :)

Hello from Quintana Roo, Mexico, btw...so sad I  missed EITS and Super Diamond (jk)
(_|_)

thingsfallapart

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 12:37:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
 the other thought i left the show with was "sometimes, i miss drugs".  i've gotten a lot less fun/wild/irresponsible in my old age, but there were several moment when i wished i was tripping last night... pretty twinkling music... *sigh*.[/QB]
I had the exact same thought--this would be infinitely better if I was on something.  

Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed by EITS?  I was expecting more--every live review I've read of them described them as a truly great live band, but I just didn't get that magical show feeling.  The softer parts of the music just didn't translate well for me.  I know that's a common criticism of live post-rock, but I've seen other groups that were really captivating and powerful (MONO for one) and EITS just couldn't draw me in during a lot of their set.  Definitely a good show, but it just lacked that something that makes a show great.

Sir HC

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 10:30:00 am »
The curfew was 10:30 so they could have played longer but that is their set and longer than what I have been reading about other shows that clocked in at 1 hour.  That is a lot of stuff to keep going and if they did more, it would be less effective I think because you would start to jade, as it was they ended when I started to think of what time it was, a good way to end.

manimtired

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 10:44:00 am »
i was expecting a little more from EITS as well.  good, not great.

Reod Dai

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
Throw me into the "slightly disappointed" camp.  Don't get me wrong, what they played was amazing, but I also didn't realize that they play such short sets.  And considering the hype surrounding their live shows, I must confess I was expecting to be blown away.  Instead, I merely enjoyed their set.  Good, but not great, is an apt description.  That said, thank you, 9:30 Club, for finally giving me the chance to see them.  And thank you to the kind gentleman who sold me a spare ticket in front of the club for $10.   :)  

I really wish they had played "Birth and Death of the Day", though.  And I think "So Long, Lonesome" would have made for a great last song.  I love their older albums, and initially felt that the new one wasn't quite up to snuff, but the more I listen to it, the more I love it.

Originally posted by bizou311®:

On another note, did anyone hear that guy who yelled "go back to texas"? That annoyed the hell out of me.
yeah i heard it.  i hate assholes like him. [/b]
He was a few people behind me for a while, shouting "Don't stop!  Don't ever stop!" over and over again the moment they hit a quiet spot, along with "Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!".  Then he moved right past me up into the crowd a bit, and began waving his fists in the air with the music.  It was then that he shouted "Go back to Texas!", which didn't make any sense at all considering how much he seemed to be enjoying the show. >_>

twangirl

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »
FYI the show was booked and the times arranged based on EITS doing a 60-minute set. The curfew was always going to be 10:30 and everything was planned based on that. So nothing was cut short or changed because it was the first of 2 events that night.

distance

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by IMAmoose24:
the guy that yelled 'go back to texas' was standing toward the back yelling other random things and screaming earlier.  durign the last song he barrelled through people to get closer and started yeling more stuff, so..

distance

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »
i don't know about the disappointed stuff.  i'm not really sure what the expectations were, but it definitely is different seeing them in larger venues now.  after seeing them in very small rooms and with crowds as small as ~25, seeing them in a sold-out, 930 club is completely different.  i'm not really sure what more i have to say on it.